How Do You Even Carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The23rdPiGGuin

03-15-2013

I guess since I'm a glutton for punishment, I play a lot of soloqueue most of the time I even avoid doing duo ranked. And as a soloqueue player who wants to make the game enjoyable for everyone abd because I believe I should get good at all roles, I opt to fill in the gaps. And Back when everyone hated jungle and support that was easy. (and even way, way back when no one really understood or wanted to try solo top)

Because I like playing tanks. No, I love tanks. I live tankiness, I think and act like a tank/suport in my daily life. It makes me feel like a badass when I'm supplying mad peel ans lighting up enemy jungles and getting copious amounts of assists. It's like I'm not just being good, I'm making 4 other people look good, which in soloqueue is tough as ****.

but then recently, people have been less likely to call adc and I don't think I'm terrible, but the best I can do as an adc is keep up with or be slightly behind my team mates and in silver v that's a good way to lose. AND ON TOP OF THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE CAN STAND IT BEING SO SQUISHY OR WHEN THERE ARE NO WARDS OR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU'RE A BETTER SUPPORT THAN THE ******ROCKET SUPPORTING YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE PLAY RAMMUS!

So, I want to know what are some good guides for how to ad carry? What mind set do I have to be in? It seems like most of the ones I see feel like they have to be selfish, quick to rage and not care about map vision/anything but kills and farm. but it works at least half of the time. Is that what I have to to be a carry?

I do pretty well on urgot because he plays exactly how a tank would but people gripe a lot about urgot picks in champion select, then treat him like a support (steal his farm, expect him to initiate, and leave him to die at a moment's notice) I dunno, maybe I need to start cussing people out.

Hirumonogatari

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The23rdPiGGuin View Post
but then recently, people have been less likely to call adc and I don't think I'm terrible, but the best I can do as an adc is keep up with or be slightly behind my team mates and in silver v that's a good way to lose. AND ON TOP OF THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW ANYONE CAN STAND IT BEING SO SQUISHY OR WHEN THERE ARE NO WARDS OR WHEN YOU KNOW YOU'RE A BETTER SUPPORT THAN THE ******ROCKET SUPPORTING YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE PLAY RAMMUS!
i think you are starting to understand why adc isn't called anymore. with the hefty amount of gap closers available in the current meta, adc's are the most team-dependant role. have a lousy support - you've just lost lane phase. have a team that doesn't know how to protect you - you've just become useless all game (as long as the enemy team isn't being similarly stupid and focusing your amumu or malphite or something)

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

First off, let me say I appreciate you willing to play any role, I do it as well. Thing is, you need to let your team know off the bat what roles you excel at and what you are bad at. This way, at least, they will know that you are a bad adc but since none of them want to do it you are filling it.

Thing is, solo que is a crapshoot, and frankly I despise supporting in Solo Que because regardless of how bad the game is going, there is nothing you can do besides feed your ADC. If your ADC isn't good though, they just run into the fight and die with those 8 kills you just racked up for them.

Also, I think why you are not a good ADC is that you excel at the tank roles, its really hard to be good at both. As an ADC you want to do the dance of hitting someone without getting hit. Every auto attack counts, and as a tank you don't think that way. In lane, it is the Supports job to back you up and you have to be the aggressive one usually in solo que because a support is reacting to what you do.

Honestly, ADC is always called in my games because I like doing it. I've finally understood how to last hit and harras at the same time, and that alone makes me stronger than most people at ADC. Once you can look at your minions health and last hit your minion, and attack him when he moves forward to last hit his minion, ADC just gets so much easier.

In Solo que sometimes you just have to accept your fate, and if you're going ADC just do your best to not feed, and hopefully get as much farm as possible. In solo que I never pick any ADC without a good escape, because I know I'm going to have 0 vision and no reliable cc on my back.

I miss the days when no one wanted to Jungle because Jungle is the easiest way to carry any game, because you can completely destroy a lane's moral.

MyLittleAshie

03-15-2013

Agreed, there are some roles/champions that I just do NOT have synergy with. For instance, I love Diana but I suck at Ahri 'cuz I keep trying to play her like Diana.

Quote:
What mind set do I have to be in?
Honestly, to be a good carry I think you need to be a bit of a daredevil. I know, the ADC shouldn't be risking their neck and needs to survive. But you can be safe without being too passive. If you constantly decline engages in order to be safe, you're not doing much good. A Caitlyn who doesn't abuse her bulliness in-lane is really missing out on some big opportunity.

When you watch the pros, they can stay in precarious situations yet still get the multi-kills necessary to give their team an advantage. You need to have faith in your damage, your map awareness, and your team, then just go for it. Just like as a tank, you need to have faith that your team will be able to make good on your initiate. If you like Urgot, keep practicing Urgot!

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleAshie View Post
Just like as a tank, you need to have faith that your team will be able to make good on your initiate. If you like Urgot, keep practicing Urgot!

Urgot is probably the best bet for you for ADC. He can still be tanky, and can shut down an ADC in lane as well as in a teamfight. Urgot is one of the few ADCs who counters other ADCs. A good Urgot basically removes the ADC (Or fed APC) from a teamfight.

His playstyle fits your abilities much more, and frankly is a beast when played correctly. Just remember, though: Its not your job to initiate, even as Urgot. You're still the ADC and if you die there's no one left to dish out copious amounts of damage. So don't ult into the middle of a teamfight only to get blown up.

PiggyWasTaken

03-15-2013

Hey man I'm not the best at adc but I got a few tips for you
1. Don't play aggressively, just farm up and get those last hits going
2. You CAN pick up some kills just make sure they won't ruin a) your farm and b) your score
3. Once it becomes mid/late game you can start playing more aggressively this is when adcs are the best. Once they get items
4. During team fights the trick to getting kills is positioning if you put yourself just sitting there you'll obviously get killed and melted. What you need to do is stay in a secure place and fire away.
5. Don't stand in the front no matter what, it may be bait and you may get melted the second you catch him.
6. Make sure your items are situational, meaning you adapt to what the enemy is building don't build 400 AD and just have them building armour try to get some armour pen. if they build armour and stuff like that.
Well I hope you enjoyed my tips on adc remember I'm not the best but when I do these things that when I win the most.
Hope I helped! ~ BreadCheesePig

Lethadind

03-15-2013

ADC is, as you say, a completely different role than anything else.

ADC is the auto-attacker. While that sounds kind of obvious it's actually not. I can't count how many Ezreals or Miss Fortunes or Varus's I've played with who think that their damage comes from their abilities, and so they spam their abilities whenever they're up and forget to throw out mad deeps with that auto-attack. Right click is your friend as an ADC.

In lane it's all about harassing the other ADC and focusing them. If you trade 1 for 1 in lane and they got your support but you got the ADC, you are MILES and MILES ahead of them, the experience gain alone puts you so far ahead in terms of strength (especially if it's in those first 6 levels) that you can bully and deny and harass and zone all the way until their tower drops if you really know what you're doing. I've had the pleasure (and mispleasure, haha) of laning against people who are lightyears ahead of me in terms of skill and it's ridiculous how they snowball an advantage, this is what the ADC is supposed to do in lane! It's like, the first 5 minutes nothing really happens, then they barely kill me (I know how to engage and not be scared, so I usually *nearly* kill them), then 5 minutes later I've died 4 more times. Playing safe. The last two deaths are even sometimes at my tower. Yep. This is what you are supposed to do.

Auto-attacking and snowballing. Harassing and CSing. Positioning and repositioning. It's a different beast than tanking for sure, but it can be pretty satisfying to watch someone's health drop in 3 seconds flat. Best of luck to you.

SeCKS Egai

03-16-2013

ADC rarely actually does the carrying. For an adc to get fed, the adc was almost guaranteed to have been carried by the team in order for it to happen (or at least the support).

Playing a support well can carry a team as well. Warding well (because most people still expect just the support to ward) can give your team the advantage and catch the enemy team outnumbered. Setting up those kills is actually pretty rewarding.

I'm not fond of support, but I've gotten a lot better at it thanks to season 3. I main adc, but its pretty frustrating when a support doesn't offer much support, or isn't able to gain you at least some lane control.

whatamidoing

03-16-2013

i would go with adc with monility and built with sustainability in mind and ability to run in situation:

tristina, catilyn, corki, and quinn are good examples. because of the amount of gap closers and bruisers oriented bruisers, i tend to built slightly tankier items and sacrifice crit: iceborn gaunlets on ezreal, blade of ancient king for adc over thrister, cleaver or mallet for extra health..... warmog if i feel confident enough