Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Add a EUW/EUE Server or Don't allow people to play with 250+ Ping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpadeCA

03-14-2013

"I have 200 ping, its PBE's fault", "I have the best net I can buy, Its PBE's fault", "PBE is impossible to play with this ping","You have 20 ping, come play on 200 and see how you like it".

I'm sick and tired of people using their ping as an excuse to feed the enemy and afk.
Either add a server for the people on EU or don't let them play on PBE. They make a lot of negative experiences for player by feeding and disconnecting constantly because, "Its PBE's fault I cant play". 250+ Ping is essentially "unplayable" and Its the reason why some FPS/MMO's check for that constantly. Because if your in a team with 4 other people and you force them into a 4v5 and ontop that, "assist" the enemy team, you make 20-30 minutes of hell for the other players.

P.S: If you know you have 200+ Ping, kindly consider the other players when you play, if you make a disadvantage for your team every time you queue, don't queue.

Agatio

Recruiter

03-14-2013

Right. What about people who get 40 ping or less on the NA client(like me, I'm in CA atm, so I've got a nice 35 ping), and get 200+ ping on the PBE, with jumps up to 1500+? What the actual F@#$ is up with that? That doesn't lead to the conclusion that it's my connection, that leads to a problem somewhere over at Riot.

Nixodrius

Huntsman

03-14-2013

Well, to be honest, since PBE is NOT competitive envirnoment, ping is not that important. While we can argue whether it disrupts the gameplay or not, there is one undeniable fact: without people from other regions PBE would be less effective when it comes to bug tracking (Believe me, I know many awesome people who have 200+ ping, and have found massive amount of bugs). And since testing and Bugtracking is THE MOST IMPORTANT aim of pbe, and gameplay is second, I can't agree with your opinion. Also making separate testing server for other regions is not going to affect the testing process in a positive way, since it would mean 4-times more work to release every single hotfix.

Summing it up, i just can't agree with your opinion

Rexlov

03-14-2013

Quote:
Nixodrius:
Well, to be honest, since PBE is NOT competitive envirnoment, ping is not that important. While we can argue whether it disrupts the gameplay or not, there is one undeniable fact: without people from other regions PBE would be less effective when it comes to bug tracking (Believe me, I know many awesome people who have 200+ ping, and have found massive amount of bugs). And since testing and Bugtracking is THE MOST IMPORTANT aim of pbe, and gameplay is second, I can't agree with your opinion. Also making separate testing server for other regions is not going to affect the testing process in a positive way, since it would mean 4-times more work to release every single hotfix.

-Gives a thumbs up and a nice smile-

It's not PBE thats lagging its the people, I never pass 100 ping.

namora

03-14-2013

Quote:
Rexlov:
-Gives a thumbs up and a nice smile-

It's not PBE thats lagging its the people, I never pass 100 ping.

no, it's the distance that is the problem regardless of the server or the service or the people, if you're in hong-kong and you want to check your ping on a server in hong-kong it's going to be high. Ping is the time it takes for the packets of information to travel from point A, to point B, and then back to point A.

For example: I used speedtest.net to test my ping and Download/Upload rate, for 2 different servers. The first server gave 308 ping and (Bharti Airtel LTD) was pretty much on the other side of the planet for me, being in New Delhi, india. The second server gave 128 ping and (Alastar) is in Madrid, Spain, which is close to half the distance between me and New Delhi.

Quote:
SpadeCA:
"I have 200 ping, its PBE's fault", "I have the best net I can buy, Its PBE's fault", "PBE is impossible to play with this ping","You have 20 ping, come play on 200 and see how you like it".

I'm sick and tired of people using their ping as an excuse to feed the enemy and afk.
Either add a server for the people on EU or don't let them play on PBE. They make a lot of negative experiences for player by feeding and disconnecting constantly because, "Its PBE's fault I cant play". 250+ Ping is essentially "unplayable" and Its the reason why some FPS/MMO's check for that constantly. Because if your in a team with 4 other people and you force them into a 4v5 and ontop that, "assist" the enemy team, you make 20-30 minutes of hell for the other players.

P.S: If you know you have 200+ Ping, kindly consider the other players when you play, if you make a disadvantage for your team every time you queue, don't queue.

The other issues are that the other servers would either not fill up level they're satisfied with or they will fill up and have the issues that have here on this PBE server, and they would have hard work, money, and time going into a poor investment when this server is virtually fine. Also, as nix pointed out it would take 4x longer to get patches out, and we're pretty much on a daily maintenance/patch schedule already.

~Summoner namora, of the lower case.

SpadeCA

03-14-2013

Quote:
Nixodrius:

This thread is useless anyways, I try to state a valid point and everyone thinks i'm a nationalist. So either way, I still get games with people who feed and you get to sit in your chair wondering why you can't even face my opinion. Your also assuming statics based of your opinion so, I wont even bother. Go home PBE, your drunk.

gintsu

03-14-2013

I think your looking at this the wrong way Spade I think what Nixodrius is saying is that pbe is pbe.
There is nothing wrong with having fun and playing to be honest that's how a ton of bugs are found but pbe was created to test bugs as frustrated as you may be how you experiences the game on pbe comes second to finding bugs if those players that are not NA can help find bugs than it's looked at as being more important than how much the player enjoys the game.

I don't think your being a nationalist but if you wish to enjoy games with teammates with less lag that's why there is a normal lol server. I know a great many players who use pbe to test and normal lol to play. It takes up a ton of space with all the patching from both normal lol and pbe but when you join pbe you should play on the server with the mindset of it's to find bugs while playing.

Cheiron

Huntsman

03-14-2013

I think what Nixodrius is trying to get at is that it's not the ping's fault, it's the player's toxic behavior. Ping does not affect ability to test at all, Nixodrius is our beloved EU Huntsman and we also often play with Rioters and other players located in EU. I have never seen or heard any of them complain of the ping.
Toxic players will be toxic players, making another server won't cure their toxicity.

Wilwariniel

Sr. QA Analyst

03-14-2013

Quote:
SpadeCA:
This thread is useless anyways, I try to state a valid point and everyone thinks i'm a nationalist. So either way, I still get games with people who feed and you get to sit in your chair wondering why you can't even face my opinion. Your also assuming statics based of your opinion so, I wont even bother. Go home PBE, your drunk.

Maybe you should consider the fact that your delivery of said "valid point" was less than constructive in nature.

Where I feel you, this is also the Public Beta Environment. Where I usually put the emphasis on the beta aspect in conversations on the forums, right now I'd like to put it on the public part. People play our game all over the world, and not allowing people to be on the PBE solely based on their location would be incredibly counter to ensuring that our game is the best we can possibly make it for everyone.

And, like others have said, the point of the PBE isn't to win gamez. If you find yourself that frustrated by losing games on the PBE, maybe try checking things out in bot games. Or take a break. We all need breaks sometime.

milktatious

03-15-2013

Quote:
Wilwariniel:
Maybe you should consider the fact that your delivery of said "valid point" was less than constructive in nature.

Where I feel you, this is also the Public Beta Environment. Where I usually put the emphasis on the beta aspect in conversations on the forums, right now I'd like to put it on the public part. People play our game all over the world, and not allowing people to be on the PBE solely based on their location would be incredibly counter to ensuring that our game is the best we can possibly make it for everyone.

And, like others have said, the point of the PBE isn't to win gamez. If you find yourself that frustrated by losing games on the PBE, maybe try checking things out in bot games. Or take a break. We all need breaks sometime.

I think many of us misinterpreted his point as plain rudeness. A person's argument isn't any less valid when their delivery is a little bit aggressive.

And, as we know, the PBE is, of course, for testing. Such is the 'beta' aspect. How are we to report legitimate issues with the game when we can't even distinguish a game bug from a random hiccup caused by game lag? How are we supposed to find a way to reproduce a bug when we click and our character responds a second later?

Let me re-deliver the OP's point in a more appropriate way.
The PBE server is having significantly higher ping rates than the live servers. While a different connection speed is to be expected from a different server with different loads, it shouldn't be as substantial a difference as this. While I don't agree with keeping people from playing simply because of their connection, I do think it is an issue that Riot should work to identify and/or resolve. In order to have a working testing environment, ping rates should be, at the very least, playable to a level where it is possible to successfully complete a game. Thank you for taking your time to read.