support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greenlee19

03-14-2013

Is it viable for whenever I play support to build the gold items and not steal cs but build damagy as well? I would still buy some words etc but to me if I'm forced to play support its more fun this way. What is everyones thoughts on this?

Dpaladinx

03-14-2013

The problem with playing support is that you need to babysit your adc early game and you virtually have limited options in your item builds. You must also let your adcs take all the cs and kills (unless if the adc isn't in a good position to score the kill, then ks is alright), which furthers limit your gold generation. Most of your gold will be coming from scoring assists, destroying turrets, g10 runes, and the Wealth mastery. If you still have a hard time with getting gold with support or your adc is derping up, try to ask your jungler to see if it is okay to take some jungle creeps. Usually, the jungler doesn't mind, but it varies from game to game. If your adc needs to go back, it's a good oppurtunity to grab some cs. However, once your adc comes back in the lane, you should let him/her farm up.

You should definitely rush philosopher stone and sightstone as your first items. If you still have difficulty even with these two items, consider kage's lucky pick into your build. There is even a nice item for your support (Twin Shadow) that now only keeps the g10 function, but also gives a nice target AoE slow to your tank or bruiser.

ChiefClive

03-14-2013

Nothing wrong with building some damage. I usually get RoA after my 2 gp10 items when I play champions like Morgana, Lux, or Fiddlesticks as support. Just remember to keep warding and focus more on protecting/peeling for your carry instead of going for kills.

Madraac

03-14-2013

Also highly dependent on your team needs. If you have a tanky champ in the jungle or top, ask them if they are building Aegis/Bulwark... There are several items that provide auras for the team that make a significant difference and normally the support is the one that purchases those items, but if you are a Morg or Lux support, I can see why you would not buy those items. However, you can clear up who is or is not doing what by a few simple keystrokes, and it can make all the difference.

Example: I like to buy an early brutalizer or cleaver on most of my junglers, as to your point... it fits my playstyle. However, often times they look to me to be the tank or off tank, and if I do not let people know my build order, it is only a matter of time befor e someone starts mouthing off. If I tell everyone what I am doing, I will occasionally get a question, and if it makes senseI can modify my build order to greatest benefit. This is one of the reasons that I actually love the jungle, as you are so much less inclined to go a set route or build, even though you should almost never do a set build for any lane, it just seems more fluid for a jungler that is fighting all lanes until mid - late game.

Greenlee19

03-14-2013

cool ty guys for input. im not much for standing on the sidelines applying simple cc during team fights i like to get in and do some damage myself is why im asking haha

Steal Yr Face

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee19 View Post
cool ty guys for input. im not much for standing on the sidelines applying simple cc during team fights i like to get in and do some damage myself is why im asking haha
Then don't play support, play a solo lane or jungle. Support is for... support. You're expected to build stuff that is useful for the team, not just securing your kills. You may end up being able to do some damage, but the majority of your mana should go to your support abilities (cc, healing, etc), not to damage.

Qsario

03-14-2013

The supports that do significant damage pretty much require getting gold from lots of early assists. A fed Nunu can be pretty scary if you're good at using the ult when you get the whole channel, for example.

PentaAsian

03-14-2013

If you build a damage item then your team has less utility. It's better to have an aura item to have your team survive some damage. It's better to have your team live with little health and having an aura item than your team dead when you only thought of yourself instead of the team.

vonBose

03-15-2013

I like to support with kayle. I will build philosophers and kages for money and then focus dmg. I figure my ult, when cast on the right champ will absorb huge amts of dmg and your E provides enough splash aoedmg to overcome aura items. This works particularly well against a lower dmg team.

Míley Dyrus

03-15-2013

Is it optimal? Not in the least. Focusing damage on your support is going to change your damage from terrible to less terrible, while sacrificing map control in the form of wards, auras, etc. Watch any high level game and you won't see a single support building damage- hell, you'll see support AND jungle building auras. Why? Because they're a better pick for the team.
Now, if you're messing around in blind pick and don't care about your team, feel free to play what I call a 0 cs AP bot- but your team won't thank you for it.