In depth comparative analysis of champion 3d models and their splash arts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cpt Selaine

03-14-2013

Hello community.
I’m Cpt Selaine from EUW,
I am a cosplayer and I’ve always had a special regard towards costume details.
It all began because I was thinking about creating some League of Legends cosplays when I realized that there was not an unique version of a champion, so that I would have to decide whether I would make the costume of the splash art or of the 3D Model.
I decided to start doing some researches and I was able to find discrepancies between the art and the 3D model of a large number of champions and skins.

This topic does not claim to be 100% exhaustive, I just want to give my contribution and my personal opinion on some champions and skins design.

My analysis will start with a 10-champion-sample, while I tried to take in consideration only the most recent works since I do realize that some champions or skins might be a little outdated and will probably receive a visual upgrade in the near future.
If there is some champion or skin you would like me to discuss in this topic feel free to suggest it!
I will sort the analysis in alphabetical order so that it should be easier to read.
Feel free to just check the images for a quick glance.

I will keep this post updated as much as I can.

3D Model Viewer Credits: http://lol.zones.gamebase.com.tw/skin_view/

PS: I apologize for the annoying watermark.
PPS: Yes I am a girl.

@IronStylus @GrumpyMonkey I think you might be interested.

EDIT: Added Malzahar
EDIT: Added Janna
EDIT: Added Resistance Caitlyn
EDIT: Added Baron Von Veigar
EDIT: Added Heartseeker Vayne

Original topic Title: In depth comparative analysis of champion 3d models and their splash arts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahri

The first champion I decided to analyze was actually the first champion in alphabetical order.
I love Ahri.
I remember she was announced long before she was actually released and that I started playing AP Carries only after her release.

Attachment 635739

My personal opinion: I really love the oriental-style of this champion and this is why I think I prefer black for her hair-color, just to keep it more “traditional”. That’s the same reason why I would also keep a 3-stringed braid instead of a more complex multi-dutch braid style. However I believe that the face whiskers make-up really fits her story so I would keep them, also considering that on her newer skin “Foxfire Ahri” they are present. I don’t think the ear shape is a big deal, but maybe the model’s shape suits better a real fox’s ear.
I would love to keep the honey-lighter shade of the eyes since it gives the idea of a super-natural creature as Ahri is.
For what concerns the front Chinese knot, I do realize that gold at the end of the model makes it a little bit more “colorful”, but I still think I prefer it being red all the way since the knot-thread does not change color typically. The mid-height sphere is a little more detailed in the art version, by being two-colored.
For the socks and the braid-lace I prefer the model’s design as it is more symmetrical and has more tones.
Everything else in the model is really well done compared to the art, I really love the gradient on the sleeves’ embroideries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annie

And off we go with one of the most awesome champions in the league (my personal opinion of course): she’s a kid, that shoots fireballs, and that can summon a giant burning teddy-bear… How could it be more awesome? What can I say, AWESHUM!
She recently received a visual upgrade (January) when she was made a little less childish and a little bit more “girlish”.

Attachment 635741

My personal opinion: Awww poor teddy-bear! I’m sure he misses the stitches on his belly! Also because when summoned he totally has them on and it can be seen even on the art’s background.
I prefer the art’s colors on some specific details, for instance, the dark purple nail polish on the 3D model feels too “goth”, and considering she already has a whole skin on that theme this feeling is amplified.
Same goes with the leg warmers since I believe them being cherry and lilac would be more colorful and would look great matching her hair color. I also like better the art’s pleated skirt, I believe the ric-rac design gives it some movement while looking “school-girl” enough.

Caitlyn - Resistance

I’m on the case! I was asked to analyze this skin and I must admit it has the largest number of discrepancies I’ve found so far, however I must keep in consideration that this skin price was reduced to 520 RP. Please forgive me in advance on the rifle-related vocabulary, I’m not a weapon expert… yet.

Attachment 636258

My personal opinion: ArchangelPT was the first one to ask about this outfit and he really didn’t like the model’s heavy make up, I must agree that the pale pink eyeshadow and peach lipstick looks more natural than light-blue eyeshadow and lilac lipstick. I am also wondering why her hair is always blue in all of her skins even though in many of the arts it is chestnut, in this case also the eyes color is light-blue in the model and chestnut, or black, in the art.
The jacket of the model is different from the art as it is missing some belts, an “ammunition belt” and some pouches. I really like the kind of gloves that she’s wearing in the art. Stylish!
I honestly don’t mind the design of the model’s boots even though I’d love her to be on heels!
The rifle is quite different too, even the color is different and I prefer brown over grey, but I’m sure Cait wouldn’t waste too much time matching her rifle to her outfit… or would she?

Irelia – Infiltrator

When I asked my friends which was their favorite skin on a champion, many of them said it was Nightblade Irelia, however I think the Infiltrator skin has many more details to discuss about and so I decided to analyze it.

Attachment 635742

My personal opinion: Woah, the design of the model’s mask is really intriguing and I think would look even better on the splash art (plus it would make just a great prop to build if “cosplay urge” happened).
EDIT: The model I used still displays a PBE model, now the mask is matching the splash art: Irelia Infiltrator. I still liked the "complete half-face mask" idea.
I’m not sure how I would prefer the shoulder armor piece, I think that since the whole armor is symmetrical I would go for a 2-2 or 3-3 just to keep it balanced (got it? Balanced? Ok moving on…).
I think that the little metallic studs on the model make the weapon even more complex, and considering that some other versions of her weapon tend to be very detailed I’d definitely say yes on adding them on.
The bust piece has a nice pattern and I think that the darker shade would emphasize the metallic edges.
The giant gem on the thighs, well, I think that the art’s design is better suited for the concept of the whole skin, somehow the model’s gem keeps reminding me of a cute dragon’s face.
And yes, definitely yes to the floating armor crystals on the calf! Everything that can float on Irelia should just float!

Janna

First of all I want to say that Janna is my main champion and also my favorite one. I have over 80% victory rate on ranking games with her. She is my saving goddess and I’m glad I was suggested to analyze her!

Attachment 636111

My personal opinion: Let’s start with the crystal diadem, I like both the art and the model version but maybe the art’s one is more elegant, I don’t know how to explain it, but it’s like it’s just gently laying on her head without need for a supporting circlet. I totally love the art’s tattoo as well, or maybe it’s a scar? Anyways it looks great.
I surely prefer the art’s bust piece as well, it looks almost as if it was armored since there is not any seams showing and the golden extra decorations and edges make it really elegant, same goes with the calves pieces.
I’m not sure why there should be bracelets on the gloves so I would keep them plain white.
As for the weapon’s and the frontal costume’s gems (or plates) I made a consideration: in the model they look alike, being faceted and orange-shaded while in the art they are completely different. I prefer the art in this case as well since the costume parts are in harmony with her costume while the weapon parts are on a completely different style.
Least but not last the scepter shape is slightly different as well as its color.

Jayce – Debonair

How charming! Jayce was the champion I spent most time with playing Dominion games. This skin was released on February 14th so it just melts my heart. Off we go with Bond… Jayce Bond (ghgh I always wanted to say it).

Attachment 635743

My personal opinion: This is a clear example on how small details give a better harmony to the whole.
Both in this skin and in his “normal” 3D model he has chestnut eyes, but I really adore his super cool ice-glaze on the arts! The buttons umm… Let’s go for some black buttons, feels more classy!
Thumbs up for the fake pocket as well!

Kayle – Aether Wing

Yes I was crazy enough to think about cosplaying Kayle, even though my friends kept saying me
”if you won’t fly don’t even bother!”. She finally got her Legendary Skin in January and among all the legendary skins I analyzed, this was the most interesting one in my opinion.

Attachment 635744

My personal opinion: Hair color… tough choice, but yeah probably I would prefer the “old style blonde” and I’m not sure if the beauty mark on the art is actually supposed to be a beauty mark but I think it’s brilliant (and I might happen to have one on the same place but meh, details!). Overall on this one I can just say I like a lot more the art design because it looks very neat while being also full of particulars.
I think that the “heel-less” shoes would look really stylish and futuristic: imagine them just as they are portrayed, as if the heel was there but it was invisible, even when she’s standing. I really like this idea.

Lux – Steel Legion

Garen gets the Steel Legion skin, so his sister decides to join the team! This was released at the beginning of February and it had a whole new set of ability effects that I really appreciated.

Attachment 635745

My personal opinion: Screws! Yeah! I think those little “dots” on a 3D model give an idea of refinement, so every time I see some studs or screws in the art or in the model I believe they should be there for a good visual outcome. This is why, in this case, I prefer the art version with all that kind of details.
I’m not sure whether the central golden bust piece (4.) was meant to be there or not, I think it hides a bit the central core but it doesn’t look bad at all, so maybe it was supposed to be displayed on the art, also because under the armpit there is something that looks like the beginning of it.
EDIT: In the game this piece is moving when Lux uses Final Spark, however in the art she's in a "resting pose".
But in this case I think I prefer one detail as it is in the 3D model: the thigh plates (5.) that being of a dark-steel tone give more contrast to the lower armor parts.

Malzahar

Oblivion awaits! As suggested by Veldric I decided to analyze Malzahar’s Normal outfit. His splash art was recently upgraded, so I decided to compare the 3d model on the left, the old art on the center and the new art on he left as background.

Attachment 636112

My personal opinion: First of all I will admit that I like both the new art and the old one, I believe though that the 3D model is more similar to the old splash. Let’s start off with the hood shape and the hair, I think that the feeling of a mystical mage is better given if the hood covers as much as possible so I prefer the model’s version, however I’d give his eyes a little light-blue hint to create the feeling of magic instead of blindness.
On the gloves pattern probably I’d go with the new art: being purple with runic inscriptions gives a good contrast that is also emphasized by the boots, same applies to those on his pants.
I also prefer covered abs for the same reason why I prefer a covering hood, to inspire mystery.

Shyvana – Darkflame

Wow she is such a badass. I believe her “normal” aspect is really intriguing but this was the latest released skin for her and it’s purple. Yes, a dragon-woman on purple flames.
I think that’s at the same time elegant and fierce.

Attachment 635746

My personal opinion: Glowing stuff everywhere! Although I know that her abilities have a nice purple shade I still think that a hint of purple on the whole outfit itself fits perfectly and that’s also why I love the light-up purple eyes. I won’t repeat myself on the “Yeah screws!” but yeah, I like them (see Lux – Steel Legion analysis).
I think that the model and the art give two different ideas of her weapons, while on one side it looks like “dragon bones” rough and consumed by battles, on the other it seems like they are precisely-crafted, well refined and edged. At this point it just comes down to tastes, this time I’ll go with the art.
It depends, however, because I prefer the 3D model in the corset part (5.) with its intricate pattern while I like better the art’s sleeve belts… I love details, what can I say!

I won’t quibble much about her cleavage being skin tone or grey since while double-checking in game I saw that the model has now a dark shadow covering that area.
Calf piece… spikes? Yes, spikes, yes.

Twisted Fate – Jack of Hearts

The card master! Here it is, another champion that received a visual upgrade not long ago. However on this particular skin I decided to make a three-images analysis because I was actually not able to understand which splash was closer to the reworked model. On the left you can see the model, in the center the old art and on the right as background the new art.

Attachment 635747

My personal opinion: Warning: WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!
Ok, let’s start with his eyes! The old art displays black eyes but they do not express any “magical power” and indeed both the new model and art went for glowing eyes, however I prefer red-orange shade of glow since the light-blue glow fits better other models or the base version of this champion.
As for the hat… mumble mumble, I remember before being released there was an art update in which the top of the hat was changed from a golden ace of spades to a white heart. So now let’s decide about the frontal decoration: 5 cards, 1 card or a gem? I think the gem would make it more unique since the 5 cards are already on the other models.
Same for the hair color, it seems that the new model takes reference from the old art having blonde hair but I think that the main tones of this skin being red-silver-white would look awesome if he had silver hair as well. The skin tone on the new model is really pale, pretty much like the old art, while the new art has a natural flesh color, however I appreciate it this way since it gives me the idea of a magical consumed body.
Moving on the neck piece, it is evident that the new model is closer to the old art on this part of the costume as well, since in the new art he doesn’t have a coat with large shoulders but a white cape with armored pieces instead. Same for the sleeves and the neck patterns.
I really like the idea of some decorations on his pants, as displayed in both arts with different patterns.
However I do realize that being a “Rare Skin” (520 RP) it might have less details than other skins.

Veigar - Baron Von Veigar

Oh dear Lord how much I adore Veigar, so crazy, so cute, so EVIL! He's everything and more. I am so glad I was asked to take a look into this skin, it really made me happy!

Attachment 636800

My personal opinion: As you can see there is only one single detail that is different from the art to the 3D model. I personally love the iron eyepatch but the monocle is more umm... "Like a sir-ish". However I will just spend some time congratulating on this skin. I tried to look for any imperfection but everything was just right! The buttons, the little fabric folds, the shoe strings and even the seams!
I'm not sure whether the shoes are supposed to be black or if the brown color of the art is related to the "yellow" light source (as you can see also the "big" glove looks brown but it's probabily the result of the light reflecting on it).
Such a tiny champion but such a good attention to details! Love it. Plus, of course this is my opinion, but I find it extremely cute to play with, huge helmet and huge shoes!

Vayne - Heartseeker

Here we go with a new analysis! This time I was asked to consider this skin that was released on February 14th, 2012... I'm sure she would do a great couple together with Jayce Bond!

Attachment 637848

My personal opinion: I've read someone complaining about her hair style, actually it's not that different except that on the art she has a loose ponytail. However she does have different eyes, glasses and make-up. I prefer the art's glasses shape and color, even though I really like the little red hearts on her cheeks!
Regarding her crossbow, besides the heart's color (9.) everything else is matching perfectly the art and I love that design! No really I love it! Hearts and wings!! LOVE IT.

Vi

I was looking for a Punch line to start with… (Yup I did it again).
So anyways here it is! She is amazingly cool. And she was released on December so she’s quite new to the League. I adore her concept and her kit, I would also cosplay her… if that didn’t imply shaving half of my hair off!

Attachment 635748

My personal opinion: The amount of details on the splash art is just awww… makes me dream!
To start off with the geared-goggles, I prefer them being golden, as well as the shoulders edges: it gives some contrast, while the model has only a golden part on the chest, and it would bright her up a lot!
For what concerns buckles, joints and screws, as I said many times, the more the merrier, because they can be “painted” as texture so they should not make the model “heavier” to load.
EDIT: The blue gem on the chest is visible on an high quality setting, probabily the model viewer I am using is not accurate enough.
Red knuckles’ screws all the way! It gives me the impression that she’s punching everyone’s face so much that those screws are almost melting off... however they only light up when her ability is ready.

Xerath – Scorched Earth

I remember when this champion was released I was so afraid! Right now I don’t see him much on the fields of justice… but when you see one, it can be really dangerous! This is his latest skin, and also has some awesome particles effects: you can feel the PEW PEW power flowing while you play it!

Attachment 636672

My personal Opinion: I like the concept of the armor, it looks like he borrowed some pieces from a fierce roman soldier. That is also why I would really like to see the golden decoration on his chest as displayed in the art (3.) and some runic inscriptions on the golden edges of the shoulders couldn’t help but making him ever more epic!
EDIT: We needed to go deeper! I made the analysis of (6.) but it was missing on the image, fixed now, thanks!
I like the model’s decorations of the arm pieces though, while the bracelets (or are they supposed to be handcuffs?) are a particular trait of his story so probably they should be there at all times.

Mana Maniac

03-14-2013

looks like you spent a lot of time on this. Interesting post!

Commander Pony

03-14-2013

great thread.

please make one about Janna just so that people can see how ridiculously different she is from her splash.

Clock Code

03-14-2013

wow nice!

MaZiN

03-14-2013

Didnt read through all just through the pics. In case you need another one Heartseeker vayne is one with many details that do not fit or arent even there from the splash art.

So my first guess for all this would be that Riot "can not" implement all those details into the characters as they are not that visible anyway. It would be pretty much time wasting. While i do think some detail should have been in some just dont get noticed anyway.
Another thing might be that too much detail might make the game run slower on bad computer. They would have to make more versions of the character to fit the choosen option of quality.

Your analysis is pretty great. Never noticed some things you pointed out here.

Kelg

03-14-2013

How could you post a thread like this and not mention Malzahar? You make me sad.

Edit: Every one of Malzahar's skins are really inaccurate besides his Overlord skin from what I can tell. I made a topic on this a long while ago about his default skin, and made a replacement for riot to use even. It didn't get any attention though.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2923798

Cpt Selaine

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaZiN View Post
Didnt read through all just through the pics. In case you need another one Heartseeker vayne is one with many details that do not fit or arent even there from the splash art.

So my first guess for all this would be that Riot "can not" implement all those details into the characters as they are not that visible anyway. It would be pretty much time wasting. While i do think some detail should have been in some just dont get noticed anyway.
Another thing might be that too much detail might make the game run slower on bad computer. They would have to make more versions of the character to fit the choosen option of quality.

Your analysis is pretty great. Never noticed some things you pointed out here.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will check Vayne right away! However as I wrote on Vi's analysis I think that some studs or screws or buckles can just be painted on as a texture and so they would not make the model any heavier. Plus in many occasions that is actually the opposite way around: often you can see more details on the model but they are not drawn on the splash art. (See Xerath's analysis)

Cpt Selaine

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldric View Post
How could you post a thread like this and not mention Malzahar? You make me sad.
Awww sorry! I just took a random sample but I will check him now! But yeah you're right, just a quick glimpse on the normal model/art and I already saw so much to talk about!
Which one of his skins do you believe I should take in consideration first?

Kelg

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Selaine View Post
Awww sorry! I just took a random sample but I will check him now! But yeah you're right, just a quick glimpse on the normal model/art and I already saw so much to talk about!
Which one of his skins do you believe I should take in consideration first?
Imo his default is the worst offender, his clothes are completely different in both color and design. His Vizier skin would probably be the second(he has hood shaped hair in game?? lol).

ArchangelPT

03-14-2013

Can you do resistance caitlyn? I feel the difference between it and the art is absolutely ridiculous

Spash art http://i.imgur.com/7ImLKxE.jpg

Ingame model http://i.imgur.com/PNkITp6.jpg

What's the point of all that eye shadow anyway? Makes her look like a 2 dollar tramp.