Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dawnpromise

03-13-2013

Personally I think we just need more time to set things up before matches. I think pre-match lobby where people can sort out roles and pick order before being tossed in champ select with that timer pressuring you would help a lot. And before anyone mentions the chat lobbies they're often overstuffed to the point it's like asking for a group in WoW's tradechat.

chaser676

03-13-2013

How about a one-way reverse prisoners island? Long periods of good behavior will result in priority queueing with other such players. Don't isolate toxic players, reward the good players

Blue Prism

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredowns View Post
I say we get something like the WoW dungeon finder and players get extra IP or whatever for queing as support.
then you get people who are IP grinding and hate/never play/don't care about being a support, making the game worse for your adc.

Kakyoin Noriaki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2013

One of the problems is pre-game (Champion Select) chat, and by extension post-game chat, not being included in the Tribunal. I've seen plenty of Tribunal cases where players are reported for being poor sports or uncooperative in pre- or post-game chat, and they are not hurt by being trashy and foul during those times since no one can get banned for it. This would not only improve Tribunal accuracy in case assessment but also improve player behavior in pre- and post-game chat since they can't get away with anything now.

Vacus

03-13-2013

Vote Kick - Cannot be enabled in normal draft modes, where 3 and 4 man premades are allowed. If using Vote Kick is less of a penalty than dodging, 4-man premades could just kick everyone they queue with who won't play the role they want them to play. Further, if I learned anything from WoW vote kick, people do not read the prompt properly. It is an extremely simple matter to get anyone you want kicked by doing the following.

Step 1: Troll.
Step 2: announce 'let's kick this troll guys'
Step 3: Initiate a vote kick on the person you want to get kicked.

Most of the time, people will vote yes and the innocent player will be kicked.

Dungeon Finder - How do you queue for a role that is even slightly out of the meta? If you want to play Xin/Pantheon bot lane with your duo queue buddy, do you queue for ADC/Support and lie to the finder? How does your team then feel when instead of the ADC/Support they expected, they get a pair of bruisers?

Is AD mid (Kha'zix, Talon, etc) the same queue as AP mid? What if your team doesn't like having no magic damage?

Assassin top (Zed, Pantheon, etc) is a very different team member from splitpusher top (Singed, Shen) which is itself very different from initiator top (Malphite) and is itself different from bruiser top (Darius). Can the queue differentiate between these things? If not (and I assume not) how do teams react when they got something they didn't expect in their teammate?

For all its flaws, champion select at least allows your team to try to coordinate a full team together before the first champion is picked. Dungeon Finder would not let you do that nearly as effectively, unless you assume that anyone who queues for a given role can play every single champion who might even vaguely fill that role (PS - they can't).

Gentleman Thief

03-13-2013

I like #2, just have a list of positions before entering the queue and you check off whichever one(s) you want.

milllo

03-13-2013

I do not support vote kick. This will be used to enforce the meta. It will also allow teams with extra pcs to lolking the members during champ select and post "hey this guy is a newb lets kick him so he doesnt cause a loss".

Another option that is not listed : leader vote. A pre-champ select option appears that asks if you want to go to the leader vote screen or to regular champ select.

butthurtlocker

03-13-2013

Just a suggestion. I'm sure something like this has been proposed before, but I think at least for ranked and draft games there should be a feature during the banning phase with five clickable buttons, one for each role. As a first-come, first-served kind of feature, it becomes unavailable to teammates after it has been clicked. This isn't really any different than calling your lanes, only perhaps less dispute over who called it first. This shouldn't limit your champion picks to just that role however, to allow unconventional picks and to allow trades after champ select. I'm sure the usual trollers won't abide by it anyway unfortunately, but like the honor points system I think at least having some measure to correct the behavior will help. Maybe even implement a rule to the summoner's code that this should be followed.

The problem still remains about choice though. If you are really in the mood to jungle, and you join a game and 3 other people also want to jungle, it does kind of suck that you don't get to play what you want to. I'm not sure what we can do about that part.

Luscious Lenny

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
The tricky part here is that unlike WoW's Dungeon Finder, we don't have a single way of playing the game. Dungeons in WoW are designed to pretty much fit the tank/dps/heal model.

So when you match people together, you'd need some way of pairing together players who have agreed on a particular strategy or want to play in a certain way. Otherwise you might end up with two people who queued as best-at-Mid, and unless they're fine playing Double Mid, you'd get some pretty similar behaviors going on.
stop kidding yourself ranked runs the meta and that's it.

Not trying to be negative, but that is how this game is played

GummyBearWookiee

03-13-2013

1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select. - This could potentially work. However there needs to be NO penalty for the kicked player. Otherwise you wind up with someone getting kicked when they are the only one who is NOT toxic at champ select. When that's the case...why should they be punished? Additionally there needs to be a kick limit. Otherwise you'll wind up with those LoLKing people kicking guys one after another until they find one they think is of sufficient skill.

2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team - This will be fine...as long as it's not the only option. I'm sorry...the people who main supports are about 1%. Nobody wants to sit in queue for an hour waiting for the 1% to get done with their current games. As long as it's an option like Blind vs Draft in normal mode...it would probably work ok. However...one can argue that the ELO behind that needs to be handled separately almost like normal ranked games vs pre-made 5v 5.

3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players. - Sorry...this won't work at all. There's already tons of issues with toxic players getting involved in voting tribunals etc, etc. Who is to say toxic players are toxic? Maybe it's premades and duos queues that are claiming toxicity against regular people. That and if the point of the tribunal is to get rid of toxic players from the game....why would you then reward them with their own little clique that someone could wrongly get thrown into? Sorry...but #3 is a terrible idea and should not be considered.