Let's talk about Champ Select

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kongajinken

03-15-2013

You should be more options on your play style,like serious or casual. Some people treat the same game mode differently because they aren't clearly marked. Giving an in game prompt on how you feel about each mode should be treated, would greatly reduce this strain.

Selegun

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Eradicate xx View Post
The idea sounds cool. But I think one of the main concerns with a solution like that is how long it ends up taking for me to actually end up in a game. After dodges and ban/pick timers plus the multi stage queue part. I think for a lot of people like me it doesn't really matter how long it takes I just want to play a good game but for another part of the community I'm sure some people have problems trying to squeeze in a game as it is.
Thats a valid point. Personally I wont play a game unless I can dedicate an hour to it, just in case. Hoping to 'slip in' a game only to need to try and finish it quickly just means I'm more prone to mistakes that might make my team lose in the long run. I wouldnt mind waiting a few minutes to let thinks pan out if it ment I didnt have to deal with someone making my game terrible when a few words before the game could have saved me alot of in game time. 10 min in a chat queue to see if everyone wants to actually play the game is worth it to me if that means 30 min+ in game is actually fun.

k0nstant

03-15-2013

As someone who plays blind pick games almost exclusively, I think I bring a somewhat different perspective to this discussion. It seems that most of the people who comment play draft pick. Funny thing about blind pick is we don't have the conflict between pick order and call order. Things aren't perfect of course, and I have two suggestions. The first applies to both game types and the second is for blind pick specifically.
First, allow players to have a customizable message when they queue that is in some way displayed to all players when the lobby is entered. I think this helps alleviate the time issue because the communication gets a jump start.
The second suggestion, for blind pick specifically, is to remove the lock in feature and replace it with a "Ready" check box. After a player indicates he is ready, he can still change his champion, but the countdown can end early if all players are ready. The reasoning behind this suggestion is that locking in is centered around a lot of toxic behavior. For example, two players call the same role. The one who called second picks the role anyway and locks in, attempting to force the other player to do something else.

Jack Poe

03-15-2013

I want, when I queue, to see a symbol next to the people in lobby with me. Up to 3 symbols which are either a doran's blade, doran's ring, doran's shield, hunter's machete, or aegis. ADC, Mage, Bruiser, Jungler, Support.

These are the roles this player prefers to play. This would make it easier for me to pick a role that would work with my team more without hoping the guys I'm queued with aren't alt tabbed and are capable of / willing to communicate.

I hate picking a mid when the last pick guy refuses to support. TELL ME you won't support. I love supporting. I pick mid when I need a win though.

__

Make it so hitting the 'play again' button puts the player in queue and gives them the option to give out honors, reports, friend requests, and perhaps a new "MvP" tag while waiting in queue. This would let people give honor more readily because forgetting about it would happen less, reports wouldn't be forgotten as much (I know I never do because I never remember by the time the nexus exploding and the cruddy client pops back up, assuming the client didn't crash like it usually does).

Playing games without being reported would give you a +1 on a scale of 1 to 100. Being reported would nullify the +1 and subtract 1 based on number of reports. If 9 players report you in one game, you lose another 11 points for a total of -20. Getting honored would be worth +1 per honor, up to +4 for a +5 on a game where you do not get reported and are honored by four people on either team. You do not get this bonus if you're reported even if all 9 players also honor you. If someone took the time to report you in the post game, you did something to bother them so much that they went to that length. I don't think players would abuse this.

Spamming reports every game would reduce your ability to report. If you cry wolf too much and it's unfounded, your reports mean nothing.

Players who rank in the highest percentile would be queued together for mutual enjoyment.

Players who are horrible to each other would be only hurting people who hurt other people. This 1 - 100 score is not seen by players and is hidden in the client so that no one can see it and try to "farm up to the good bracket". You wanna play with the nice players? Be one.

MvP vote for you would be worth +5 meaning the maximum points you can get in a game is +10, lots of honors and winning the majority MvP vote. Can only vote for your team. Only the MvP with the most votes gets points. A tie nets both players +3. A 5 way tie nets no gain in points. No jerking the guy on the left.

____

You AFK past your pick, you just dodged. You get a dodge penalty. Not too steep. Not nothing though. Your internet crashes? Well you lost 3 lp and can't queue for 5 minutes. 15 the next. 30 the next. You didn't ruin anyone's game and you shouldn't keep trying to play if you keep crashing. Fix the internet.

____

Vote to kick. Your first pick just banned Heimer, Janna, and Sivir. He's picking Teemo and calling jungle. He's swearing at your whole team saying "report me, I don't care". Someone nominates him for a kick and a 4 vote kicks the guy. 3 vote if you're duo queueing. No team trolling. If you say "what about normals with a 4 man premade that just kicks me?"

Did you really want to play with a team of four guys that's ganging up on you before the game starts? I don't.

Most of the time you won't have to deal with the whole of your team kicking you because you didn't pick FotM. You're a really good jungle Yi? Afraid everyone will kick you because you want to jungle Yi? The odds of getting the WHOLE team to rally against your jungle pick is low and I feel the minor problems this would cause (oh no, I'm sitting in queue again. Woe is me) beats the lost LP, the 20 minute frustration fests (longer when trolls cockblock the surrender and keep feeding and the enemy team refuses to end it) and loss of fun.

I'd rather wait in queue for 2 more minutes.

TL;DR

Please read it. I typed it, and I'd like feedback on my ideas.

Sisuwolf

03-15-2013

You really need to increase the effect of the Games Played in Matchmaking for Ranked. I have been near the 1150-1200 level for a long time. My worst was around 850 but once I took it seriously in S3 within a few games I quickly rose from 900 back up to 1200. The games I play near 1050 seem to have much better players than the games at 1200 and it's for the reason that at 1200 you can get people with 2 Ranked Games Played even if you have over 300 Ranked Game Played.

Right now even at your highest traffic times, even when there is a login queue, I still get matched with 6-7 players with 150 wins and then 2-3 players with like 10 wins total. This shouldn't be happening. People with low wins are why people get stuck below their potential real MMR. It is so obvious who has the lowest wins totals in games that I've even said it in chat and then after game see the win totals and I'm almost always right. The lowest win total players are often the most toxic players and ones that think they know it all so they won't listen to anyone or work with the team.

When you first implemented the Games Played affecting MM, it was beautiful. All of the sudden my games at 1200 seemed like they were being played like pro level tournament games. Most games would go 15 minutes with almost no deaths on either team. Wins felt so much more rewarding and losses felt not nearly as disheartening because they were always close. It felt like your own individual skill had much larger effect on every game. Since no one was dying a few bad plays and you could cost your team the game but a few good plays and you could win the game for your team. This short period was wonderful, brilliant, beautiful, so fun.

Since then you have slowly made Games Played have less and less effect on the MM. Games are back to feeling like a **** shoot. Who can get the least players with 3 wins, or who can carry their 3 win players who are constantly feeding, that's who wins. Skill doesn't matter anymore, just play games, and hope.

I heard many complaints about the Games Played feature being added but I would guess it was from people with low win totals or higher MMR. Games Played should heavily effect MM at the 1100-1300 range since that is where new players come in. It would make people who play Ranked often and are most likely way better than a lot at their MMR, and almost certainly way better than the 3 win players they get matched with, a chance to get out of the "New Player" range of MMR, and it would encourage low win total Ranked players to play more games, cause playing more Ranked is the only way to get better at Ranked. Normal Draft is a very poor substitute. I played 500 almost all Draft Normals before my first Ranked and got destroyed way back when. Normal Draft is nothing compared to Ranked.

Currently I always get in a game in less than a minute no matter when I play. Slightly increased queue times might be a problem at higher MMR, but at the 1200 MMR range, 15 seconds of queue is too short anyway. I can wait 1-2 minutes for a game, 15 seconds isn't needed, when it matches 300 win players with 3 win players.

I get how at High MMR increasing the effect of Games Played on the MM might increase queue times too much, and NTM that at higher MMR, probably Gold and above, Games Played shouldn't matter at all. It's like taking the training wheels off at Gold, since you can't get Gold from even winning 10 placements, this would be like the land of the top dogs, no holds barred, everyone plays everyone. At the High Bronze Low Silver range, Games Played needs to be heavily enforced. Could probably enforce it for 1100-1300 or even 1500 and lower it is heavily enforced. Either way is a win and will greatly reduce the toxicity of the players in games, and will make a better experience for all at the sub-Gold MMR ranges.

WarhawkX86

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

I dunno if anyone has noticed since this went live people are calling roles in games and then when you ask them to swap they say things like "cant report me for it so im doing this role regardless" or "**** off its not reportable"

Just observing that players ARE USING THIS FORUM AS AN EXCUSE TO CONTINUE THIS BEHAVIOR.

Which is clearly not what we want as a community.

CrashGhost

03-15-2013

It seems that implementing changes to Champion Select will be a very difficult matter to address, and finally come to any finite decision, having read all the issues and concerns involved in such decisions.

Here is an idea. Most of us playing this game aren't millionaires and therefore have a limited amount of resources to spend playing this game. Like myself I'm sure many people have spend hard earned money buying Champion Packages, IP/XP Boost, New Champions, etc. I have been playing for over 2 years now and have spent considerable money on this game. I still to this day don't own all the champions or varieties of runes I'd like to utilize in order to make the game optimal. I really don't think that with the money Riot makes off this game with the amount of publicity LoL sees now it is necessary to make it take so painfully long or make people spend so much money in order to buy what you would like to use. So, that being said, here is my proposal:

If you are known for being a positive player, ie) your honor is constantly going up, your not banned, etc you should be rewarded with items in the game costing SIGNIFICANTLY less. To the point of ultimately being free to play. (Hmmmm what a concept Riot lol) Conversely, if someone is toxic, SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cost of that persons advancement when purchasing with IP. To the point where they can only purchase things with RP and make very little advancement with just "playing" the game. This may not completely solve problems, but it would definately help. I'm sure that most of us that love this game would have no problems, and have sunk hundreds of dollars into League. But honestly, who can afford to sink $1,000 into one video game???

Most people are still learning this game for many months after they hit lvl 30. I mean really, who of us never stops learning? If you are a toxic person by nature (yes these people do exist) then you will learn very fast that it will COST YOU in a very literal sense to constantly be a toxic and negative player. So creating a new account will not help you, seeing as you will be starting at lvl 1 again and if you continue toxic behavior, you will be halted in your tracks, or you will need to PAY TO PLAY. In effect, what I'm suggesting would be imposing penalties like a speeding ticket, if you want to speed, you will have to pay for it. So in league if you insist on being the door knob we have all played with, you will have to pay for it. That being said, most of us still dont have half the champions or runes by the time we hit 30, even 2000 games afterward, unless we have spent the money. So give some incentive to being a good person! Tax cuts for the nice people, not the wealthy!

The wonderful thing is that the toxic players, or the ones paying more for the game, would offset the positive players, the ones paying less in order to play, so Riot wouldnt really be taking a hit financially. Honestly though... That should not even be an issue when we are dealing with a mutli -million dollar company. Why on earth cant we just pay $60 to buy this game and just play it? lol That is a completely different post all together.

However, I think this suggestion in this post still holds merit.
It would be great to hear anyones thoughts on this subject thanks!

***Edit*** Obviously honor can be abused now. However Riot could easily fix this issue by not allowing players to honor their friends. Which makes sense, seeing as the honor system is for the community, not your friends that already know you.

ZaganJustice

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This feature is being tested on the PBE. rjcombo will know more about that effort.
I really want this implemented myself as well.
I played a game today where a guy pretended to be afk because he didn't get his pick.
And yes, I know he was pretending because in the next queue up he was there again, still didn't get his pick, and tried to do the same thing. Luckily, in both games someone on the other team dodged, so we didn't have to.

WarhawkX86

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
1) Vote Kick | Players want the ability to vote kick toxic players from Champ Select.
2) WoW Dungeon Finder | Players want the ability to queue up for a particular role like “Healer” and “DPS” and placed into a Champ Select with a team
3) Prisoner’s Island | Players want matchmaking to pair toxic players with toxic players, and positive players with positive players.

What are some pros and cons to these ideas? Would they work for League?
Option 1 and 3 are not solutions. Period.

Option 1 requires you LABEL TOXIC PLAYERS. So during a match anyone can cuss you out or do anything to you and you cant retaliate because you are already labeled "TOXIC" so you just get a free ban. This is HORRENDOUSLY unfair, just because someone is slapped with a label doesn't mean you should make the game MORE frustrating for them.

Option 3 is equally bad for much the same reasons, the game is about having fun and if you get frustrated sometimes eventually you will fall to prisoners island on the current system. Current system is NUMBER of reports NOT % OF GAMES PLAYED.

So eventually after enough reports you just go to prisoners island with NO WAY OFF in the current system.

Say you want to play with friends? Guess what they say something to your prisoner island buddies who are raging, say they get reported. It's a slippery slope and next thing you know you dragged your friends to prisoners island because they played games of league with you.

Is this really the kind of system the community wants? A slippery slope of **** where everyone winds up in the trash unless they say nothing at all?

If any of these are implemented RIOT NEEDS A SELF MUTE BUTTON to make up for it. I'd rather permanently MUTE myself than have any chance of getting to prisoners island.

WarhawkX86

03-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashGhost View Post
It seems that implementing changes to Champion Select will be a very difficult matter to address, and finally come to any finite decision, having read all the issues and concerns involved in such decisions.

Here is an idea. Most of us playing this game aren't millionaires and therefore have a limited amount of resources to spend playing this game. Like myself I'm sure many people have spend hard earned money buying Champion Packages, IP/XP Boost, New Champions, etc. I have been playing for over 2 years now and have spent considerable money on this game. I still to this day don't own all the champions or varieties of runes I'd like to utilize in order to make the game optimal. I really don't think that with the money Riot makes off this game with the amount of publicity LoL sees now it is necessary to make it take so painfully long or make people spend so much money in order to buy what you would like to use. So, that being said, here is my proposal:

If you are known for being a positive player, ie) your honor is constantly going up, your not banned, etc you should be rewarded with items in the game costing SIGNIFICANTLY less. To the point of ultimately being free to play. (Hmmmm what a concept Riot lol) Conversely, if someone is toxic, SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cost of that persons advancement when purchasing with IP. To the point where they can only purchase things with RP and make very little advancement with just "playing" the game. This may not completely solve problems, but it would definately help. I'm sure that most of us that love this game would have no problems, and have sunk hundreds of dollars into League. But honestly, who can afford to sink $1,000 into one video game???

Most people are still learning this game for many months after they hit lvl 30. I mean really, who of us never stops learning? If you are a toxic person by nature (yes these people do exist) then you will learn very fast that it will COST YOU in a very literal sense to constantly be a toxic and negative player. So creating a new account will not help you, seeing as you will be starting at lvl 1 again and if you continue toxic behavior, you will be halted in your tracks, or you will need to PAY TO PLAY. In effect, what I'm suggesting would be imposing penalties like a speeding ticket, if you want to speed, you will have to pay for it. So in league if you insist on being the door knob we have all played with, you will have to pay for it. That being said, most of us still dont have half the champions or runes by the time we hit 30, even 2000 games afterward, unless we have spent the money. So give some incentive to being a good person! Tax cuts for the nice people, not the wealthy!

The wonderful thing is that the toxic players, or the ones paying more for the game, would offset the positive players, the ones paying less in order to play, so Riot wouldnt really be taking a hit financially. Honestly though... That should not even be an issue when we are dealing with a mutli -million dollar company. Why on earth cant we just pay $60 to buy this game and just play it? lol That is a completely different post all together.

However, I think this suggestion in this post still holds merit.
It would be great to hear anyones thoughts on this subject thanks!

***Edit*** Obviously honor can be abused now. However Riot could easily fix this issue by not allowing players to honor their friends. Which makes sense, seeing as the honor system is for the community, not your friends that already know you.
This is a bad idea. There isn't a mute button for players currently. There is no way for a person with say a mental defect like myself to mute myself and prevent myself from being toxic sometimes.

And no im not making that up.

I have tried macros even looked at other keyboards as a way to stop, ultimately riot would need a mute self function and with the new ping system it would work.

But INCREASING the cost of the game to the point of ONLY spending $ on it is just the worst idea you could suggest. How does that help champion select?

You make it sound like you want cheaper **** just for being nice, its not a solution to the problem at hand.