Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about Champ Select

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cynical Rain

03-13-2013

"Flow-Chart" of what would work.

Weegee7

Recruiter

03-13-2013

I don't like the idea of queuing for a role (as that basically enforces the meta) but I think Champion Select would be better if preferred roles would be communicated better. Perhaps allow players to mark up to two preferences and players can work it out in the lobby. To make it work better, have the matchmaking system attempt to match players with different preferences.
This can be added as a partial solution.

FactsofLife

03-13-2013

build a dungeon finder for normal and ranked that lets you check the positions you are willing to play. make the dungeon finder optional for normal and ranked so not everyone has to use it.

add a vote kick for ranked only so it cannot be abused by premades in normal, or add a pre game chat that allows people a chance to cancel their queue

create a new rating based on # of times reported + # of times punished and match people as best as you can through that while also factoring in elo.

StriderXplosive

Recruiter

03-13-2013

Quote:
cynical rain:
"flow-chart" of what would work.

this guy....this guy knows what im talking about! IF I HAD 1,000 ACCOUNTS TO UP VOTE U WITH I WOULD!!

Chamenas

03-13-2013

I imagine my idea won't be responded to. However, I created a thread about this awhile ago with a suggestion that I feel is worthy of getting some attention.

Change the way Draft Lobbies Work
Players currently get a lot of time to select their champion, which can make lobbies take quite a long time. The thought is, if they have time to pick, they will discuss with their team cooperatively and pick something that works well with their team.

In practice, this isn't what happen.

Much of the time is often spent trying to convince players that they should play X role, or that Y champion is not a "troll" pick and the ensuing lobby just goes downhill from there. This is not to say that all lobbies are toxic, but, in the scenario we're trying to avoid, this is what happens.

Instead of the current model of:
Ban - Chat, Ban - Chat, Ban - Chat, First Pick - Chat, etc...

The suggested new model would be:
Lobby Chat, Ban, Ban, Ban, First Pick, Second Pick etc...

Instead of getting 40 seconds or whatever it is to pic (or ban), Players could get about 15 seconds, with the time saved going into this lobby chat at the beginning.

During lobby chat, players would be encouraged to discuss what they're picking and get an actual team comp decided on. At the end of the lobby chat, if players felt like there wasn't really a team atmosphere then they could vote to disband and everyone would be sent back into the queue.

Difficulties
There are some conceptual difficulties with this idea.

First, the thought of keeping track of how many countless lobbies and then making sure players aren't placed onto the same team again after disbanding is a logistical problem. I'm not a coder so it might not be as bad as I think, but it's certainly something that popped into my mind.

There's also the difficulty of getting players to appropriately use lobby chat. Though it's a great concept, it's not necessarily intuitive. Yes, they have to talk about something, but how do you encourage players to effectively use that time?

Abuse?
The system is actually designed to minimize abuse as much as possible. In previous incarnations of the vote disband system there were issues where players could dodge based on bans or not liking the other team's comp, etc... with the lobby chat system they can only disband for one reason: not liking each other as teammates. They don't know the bans or picks before they're forced to choose on disbanding.

Because the disband vote would work like a surrender vote, a premade team could still "bully" someone to pick a role. But, think of it this way, if a team threatens to disband on you because you won't pick the role they want you to, what do you lose? Playing a game with a crappy team?

Vote kicking is inherently a negative system, and, while negative systems are sometimes needed (reporting, banning, etc...) avoiding them where we can is usually good. A team disband is a mutual disagreement that "this will not work out" which is far more positive. I just see a lot less negativity and potential for abuse with it.

KimKelley

03-13-2013

I would be interested see, at least in normals, the Positive Island concept. The only thing I care about in normals is not dealing with people who are jerks. I will play absolutely any team composition (all support? fine by me) as long as nobody is a jerk at any point in the game. For normals, it seems that one would get a fair bit of mileage by having tiers based on the Tribunal algorithm. If you get reported enough to get a Tribunal case built against you, you get demoted from Positive Island. You could do tiers as an experiment (each case built is another demotion to another level).

Another thought would be to gamify the player experience of champ select. If someone has a positive experience with you in champ select, allow the players to select a button that indicates that (before the game starts?). Players who maintain this positivity in champ select get some sort of reward (Skin/IP boost/ 2 RP per 100 positive votes/honor sash).

LordSack

03-13-2013

1) Votekick sounds fair to the majority and should be permanently in place.
2) WOWdungeonfinder option should let you que with role, but it should be voted to keep that role system in place after the team is made by everyone.
3) 3rd option should be to shut off option #2 for a free role pick after the team votes are in.
4) I do not like the prisoners island idea thats why the tribunal is put in place and people have the right to speak, they also have the right to report, but maybe those who are punished should be banned from ranked games for awhile, but let them still play normal games.

Booboorocks998

03-13-2013

There's some good ideas in this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1a79l7/lyte_ive_been_seeing_a_bunch_of_threads_about/

My favorite is the one where you go into a pre-queue before going into a queue with the enemy team.

StriderXplosive

Recruiter

03-13-2013

Quote:
Booboorocks998:
There's some good ideas in this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1a79l7/lyte_ive_been_seeing_a_bunch_of_threads_about/

My favorite is the one where you go into a pre-queue before going into a queue with the enemy team.

That sounds cool. But it wont solve dodgers.

EnderForHegemon

03-13-2013

Hey Team! Having played a few thousand games, I really dont like the three ideas presented. Vote to kick is my preferred solution because it won't affect how the actual picks happen, in that if you're kicked for your choice you can just Q again. Role-calling is much too rigid for me as an individual, though I DO like the idea of displaying 'my preferred champs for this match' that I set before Qing. Prisoners island is seriously unlikely to improve player behavior on the whole from what I read in this thread.

Having trolled through the red posts, and the suggestions quoted, I feel like the best thing to do is allow reporting in pregame. Players just need ways to call out problem individuals and have them impartially reprimanded the same as in-game behavior.