Taking top lane turret

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FoldedSteel

03-13-2013

So, something along the lines of this has happened to me a couple times, and I'm not sure how to do with it.

I'm laning Vladimir vs an Elise. I'm having a surprisingly good early-game (because this Elise sucks), outfarming, pushing when she goes back to feed minions to her tower, and haven't died. Then the tower goes down early. And I can't do anything. The lane is stuck between her first and second towers. If I try to go into lane to farm, I am half a map away from my turret, Xin comes out of the bush, and I just die. I ward all of their top jungle to see him coming. It doesn't help, he can cut me off easily because of how overextended I am. If I try to roam to other lanes as a lvl6 Vlad with no CC, I'm just useless. I wind up pathetically underfarmed or full-on feeding, all because of that towerkill.

What should I be doing here? Should I deliberately NOT be killing the tower? Should I be stealing creeps from my jungler? Should I be playing champs with more CC and early roam potential?

Ossilliath

03-13-2013

I'm by no means a great player, the opposite in fact, but I've always found its best to take the top tower only when you become a large presence in the game. Where you can gank and push other lanes or you are against a champ/player who pushes like crazy. I've always viewed top lane as being very apart from the rest of the map. The jungler spends more time ganking bot to control dragon and with mid to help/prevent snowballing, which is why I play it safe and leave a tower until i am ready to leave lane.

AlexPin

03-13-2013

the answer as you suspected is easy. dont kill the tower.
don't ever attack it before you get to level 7-8

totalwar235

03-13-2013

this is only an idea so i have no experience doing it but using a game mechanic called freezing you could possible keep the lane near enough to your tower. if you don't know what freezing is look at this link
lane freezing

Shallow Cubes

03-13-2013

Disclaimer: I am also by no means an expert.

Since the others have provided preventative explanations for this (some of which I actually don't agree with), I'll give you some suggestions for what to do post-tower.

- If going after the creeps leaves you so overextended, consider taking your golems / warding the enemy blue in the mean time while the creeps push back in your favor. You can also threaten the enemy jungle, which will either force the enemy jungler to ease up on your bot lane or (if the enemy jungler does not come) you can just steal his buffs / wolves.

- Roam. I know you said it seems useless, but in actuality, this does a lot to threaten the other team. If you are not seen on their map, you are a threat. Additionally, the mere presence of an extra champ in lane, evenly briefly, can deny enemy champs a fair amount of farm. This also forces the enemy jungler to react to 2 people on your team, instead of just 1, and you can set up mid for triple ganks easy.

- Help push mid down. With mid tower down, you have a lot more map control than the other team. Usually, when I am playing top, I'll help push mid once top is down. Of course, don't just disregard your lane completely. Can't let the enemy top free farm back into the game.

- When the creeps close in on your end of the lane again, go back up and catch them before they hit turret, so you can snag the exp and gold again.

These are just off the top of my head. There's more to it, but this is what I have for now. Hope it helps!

Madraac

03-13-2013

As stated, it is not a good idea to take down the tower at level 6 for any champ or lane. If you are pushing their lane that much, and sending the top back to base to regen, you are doing your job. You will be able to out level him by one or two levels soon enough, and have higher gold for better items. This will let you snowball into an early kill or two. Once your TEAM is around 8 or 9 you can begin to think of taking down the tower.

At that point, your mid and you should be at the 10 - 11 level range, and with any luck, you will be at least ahead of the other team by one or more levels. This allows you to successfully gank another lane without losing or falling behind, and can often secure a kill as you will do that much more damage.

Also, pay attention to how well your jungler is doing... I have given up creep waves to my jungler to get them back into the game and get much needed gold so that we can teamfight that much more successfully. The opposite is true when I have a couple of kills and assists as jungler, in which case I start giving up Red to the ADC and Blue to top or mid as needed to get them ahead. If you do push the top lane too early, then do what you stated... ward the hell out of top, but then you and your jungler must start to counter jungle together... you should be able to steal a kill or a buff on the top side of the map if done smartly.