@Morello, can we talk about Nidalee?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XanatosRythe

03-21-2013

I heard Hotshotgg say "If riot only gave me the choice between playing Nidalee and Karma Top right now at LCS, I'd go with Karma Top." Now I don't like Hotshotgg. But damn, that's his favorite champion.

But no really, why these nerfs, why so hard, and why hit AD Nidalee?

I think removing armor and magic resist gradually would have been wayyyyy more reasonable.

Losing her ability to dive into the enemy team and gib the ADC (you know like every other bruiser. its your job.) makes it so she has to play even more passively in the top lane, and loses all participation beyond split pushing. Make her more aggressive? Hell naw, cripple what little team fight presence she had.

Spiritside

03-21-2013

Bump. Still would like further discussion on this. She feels just awful. ^ Xanatos makes a good point as well -- even though I'm not much of a fan of Hotshot, if someone who basically became famous for playing Nidalee no longer wants to play her at all, something's wrong.

She has SO much less utility than almost any bruiser that she needs extra tankiness to be effective in the slightest in teamfights. She doesn't have any CC, she doesn't have a huge steroid ultimate (like Singed, Nasus, Renekton), she doesn't have incredible damage. She's now pidgeon-holed into being a splitpush-bot, which is both incredibly boring and, for the most part, pretty ineffective (especially in solo queue, where she was apparently strongest).

XanatosRythe

03-22-2013

bump for attention, maybe someone other then Morello?

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanatosRythe View Post
bump for attention, maybe someone other then Morello?
Good luck with that. most of General discussion hates Nidalee and reds don't even typically post on Nidalee threads. I don't think we were too volatile for a reply like most threads tend to be but normally Nidalee starts huge flame wars between reds, Nidalee players, and people that just hate Nidalee.

On another note I'm actually noticing that her new skin makes her Q considerable hard to see and doesn't make the same noises so its like Nidalee Javelins got a stealth upgrade. They blend in with the terrain and ambient noise to well so they are much easier to hit and harder to dodge. I could see some cause for concern with the new skin but GD really complains about things far too much.

Her Javelin Toss imo is completely underwhelming without its damage potential. Like most of her kit it does raw damage with little to 0 utility and it isn't the easiest skill to land either. Most champions have damage plus utility on most of their skills while Nidalee really doesn't have this. Her utility she does have is either really clunky or packed into abilities that are very hard to get full potential out of. The control scheme for pounce and swipe are old and out dated and good luck getting enemies to step on traps when the shred and reveal are both beneficial to you. I'm not saying these abilities aren't strong but rather that most of their strength is "potential" strength and not always something that you are able to exploit.

Like I said earlier I honestly think she needs a rework but at the same time I am afraid of what the design team would do to her based on how they have been designing new champions and reworking others to basically fill one role and be bad or not even useable in other roles. Vi and Vayne are excellent examples of this. Vi can jungle or Top lane but only build as an AD/AS bruiser Vayne can only be played as a ranged AD carry. Try them as anything else and prepare to fail. There are no ways to innovate or think very far outside the box with these champions and you cannot deviate very far with your build options on them. Ezreal, Kayle, Nidalee, Jax, Poppy, etc on the other hand have a plethora of options available to them and build almost any item and be effective but effective in different ways when built in different ways.

XanatosRythe

03-22-2013

AD Nidalee literally CANNOT full fill her bruiser roll anymore, having the same defensive stats as a Vayne with the same build makes it really hard to go in on things.

I'd honestly rather they nerf the javelin into the ground and see her other abilities made useful if that's what the problem is.

I wouldn't be so adamant about it if I didn't hate playing her AP cuz I like to contribute more then the occasional chunk... but she's still one of my favorite champions.

ItsCalledALance

03-23-2013

sad day

Oasis

03-23-2013

Morello already stated why Nidalee was nerfed.

Her strong points should be
* Strong laning
* Great Split Pushing
* Great dueling

"Jump into enemy team and gib the AD carry" is probably not one of her roles? Just because you can't play like a reckless idiot with her and get kills anymore doesn't mean she's unplayable. I still enjoy playing her as bruiser.

DjFuzzypants

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post

* Strong laning
* Great Split Pushing
* Great dueling

"Jump into enemy team and gib the AD carry" is probably not one of her roles? Just because you can't play like a reckless idiot with her and get kills anymore doesn't mean she's unplayable. I still enjoy playing her as bruiser.
The great Oasis has spoken =)

Sagee Prime

03-23-2013

Quote:

* Strong laning
* Great Split Pushing
* Great dueling

and Morello's points were wrong and you should know this. She is not a great dueler and the other 2 strong points don't kick in until mid game where she was at her strongest.

Implying that any of us played like a reckless idiot. Perhaps Challenger Tier is too hard for you?

Spiritside

03-23-2013

Quote:

* Strong laning
* Great Split Pushing
* Great dueling

I'm not saying she's UNplayable, just that she just seems so completely outclassed by a majority of other bruisers. You don't agree with that at least?

I still enjoy playing her too, but when it actually feels detrimental to your team to go 10-1-9 because she has very little meaningful teamfight presence, I feel like something's wrong. Maybe I'm just playing her incorrectly, but it always feels like getting fed on bruiser Nidalee's worthless.