Is Master Yi worth mastering?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inmortal8

03-12-2013

I dont want to debate if he is underpowered or op, I had read a lot of posts like that, I am currently lv 20 and play AD Yi for the first time after the nerf and like him, then I play AP Yi and find him really fun to play, so Im considering focusing on him.

I based on this guide by DarkPercy, finding it really helpful:

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...k-sides-128998

Pros:
Great Laning Phase and Harrasing
Amazing Pusher and Roamer/Ganker
Can snowball extremely hard and carry a game
If fed, can easily get Triple, Quadra and Pentakills
Very fun to play

Cons:
Requires really good timing and judgement
Requires a lot of farm to be really effective Late game
Hard to help on teamfights
Can be countered by CC or by players that know how AP works

Not able to play ranked, and with little experience, my question is, if Master Yi, and specifically AP Yi is worth mastering, and if he is useful in ranked or against normal pvp pros?

Im asking if he is worth mastering and how could I improve on him?

If I get lucky I can get cuadra kills, or penta kills, and do well on pvp blind pick with AP Yi, playing in mid lane, and most times wining the lane, but I feel that I dont really bring value on a teamfigth, and if I am not fed, and having a hard game I could be almost useless on teamfights

Mostly I try to attack an enemy that is apart from the teamfigth or kill pushers that are alone, or with help of teammates attack some enemys. If the five of them are together I stay away until one get alone, and focus on their carry.

Madraac

03-12-2013

At level 20, you have plenty of time to master him and he is definitely viable. Any champ is viable, if played well and mastered. It is amazing to see the difference in playing when you play a champ 10 times, versus 100 times, versus 300+ or more. You will effectively become that much better than others because your timing will be near perfect, allowing you to know when to dive, back off, or just sit under a tower and defend.

AP is currently the better way to go, but he can run either AD or AP. However, if you are playing so that you can get a penta or quadra, then you are playing him for the wrong reason. Any champ can do that, some are better at it, such as Yi, Darius, MF, etc.... Yi and Darius both have resetting ults allowing for you to clean up in a team fight, and MF can decimate a team with her ult, especially if there is an Amumu around.

Your strategy of how to get kills is sound, as long as you are not trying to run off solo to find their solo champ that was in a lane and is now off the mini map. That could leave your team in a 5v4 against you. Yi has the ability to dive with his alpha strike and get past the first line of bruisers to wreck an ADC, but if you get peeled you are most likely dead, so again, perfecting him and knowing when to go and when to wait is key.

powwder

03-12-2013

if you want a champ that can win you all kinds of games and take you to plat.....then no. only reason to master uh master yi is becasue he is fun and can pubstomp really well.

Inmortal8

03-12-2013

Thanks for the reply’s

Currently my three main champs are Garen or Jax in top or solo top (sometimes having trouble solo top) and Master Yi in mid or bot lane. I don’t play him for the penta kills, just had the luck to had one, I keep playing him cause is really fun, I love ganking with him, chasing an enemy and killing him, learned not to chase for too long and then get ganked.

I will probably try to master AP Yi and also try him again as AD. I found that playing with garen I die less and some games I dint die at all, but with Yi I have more deaths. Even at games against the computer at beginner I sometimes die cause he is squishy and you need to know if your meditation can survive your opponent attacking you or several oponents, and if using the stasis (take not damage for two seconds) from the item zhonyas hourglass help or not, sometimes I use it and two seconds later I have 4 enemy champions hitting and killing me.

I’m trying all the free week champions to feel if I really like another one, from this week I liked Malphite for his tankines and damage, also waiting to try Darious cause I think the playstile is similar to Garen. Will keep playing as Yi to see if I can at least die less, and find out how to be better at teamfigths, against skilled players normally I die a lot, with garen I remember I could play safe and die less, but Yi playstyle for me is you kill a lot, but also die several times, even playing safe, if an enemy get CC on you and he hit hard, normally you are dead.

Any comments on Master Yi are welcome