Dorans/Flask

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demacry

03-12-2013

I'm kind of curious what everyone's input is on how worthwhile the Dorans items and Crystelline Flask are.

(IMO) Due to the passive mana regen aura the Flask stops being really useful for mana sustain around level 3-4 for most champs. And due to the faster nature of the map pots and flasks loose a lot of their sustaining power early on. For these reason I, personally, will usually go 5/# health, 4/# mana pots over a flask. This route seems to offer a lot more sustain while it's still worthwhile without making the investment of the flask.

The only tradeoff I can see when going with the flask route is while you have less "real" sustain in lane you can sell it later, and if you recall frequently enough you can make it worth the gold (though this seems to defeat the purpose of getting pots/flask for the sustain to begin with)

I have heard of flask being a popular opening on champs like singed and cho'gath. Personally though if I'm running a beefy ap champ like that or maokai Ill usually open ruby/saphire crystal and 1-2 pots depending on the lane opponent and just bum rush catalyst. This hasn't ever had a huge impact on my early game since if you skip the boots with a saphire crystal opening (my usual for singed) you go to lane with 425 gold in the bank. It takes no time at all to save up the rest for catalyst, even with excessivly safe play.

(gonna discuss my opinions on dorans in a later post, wanted to see what everyone's opinions on the flask were)

opcow

03-12-2013

I've been happy starting doran's ring and flask with cho. Especially playing conservatively and focusing on farm and stacks early on. I just pop it off whenever I'm about to get some poke, and later when the fights start. My record with cho isn't stellar though, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Demacry

03-12-2013

If I'm going to be going for a ton of ap on cho early (Wooglets instead of RoA) then I will open up Doran's Shield/Flask for a ton of sustain (when combined with his passive I've been able to out sustain all of my laning opponents, the only time I ever recall first with this opening is when I'm ganked or I'd imagine if I am seriously outplayed, but that would have to be some sort of level 2-3 Pantheon balls deep play)

But for the most part I usually run beefy ap on him since the base damage on his w is bursty enough in most cases at early levels. Even in this instance though I have to wonder if my money would be better spent on dorans and maybe just 4-6 pots (instead of a full 9) while I try to go for an early blasting wand.

My main reason for starting the thread is to try and find out how efficient everyone feels flask is. On the surface it seems like an easy buy with the potential infinite number of charges you can rack up over a game but it feels like past level 5 just 3 red pots way outstrips the value of 3 flask charges; and considering how fast level 5 comes on this map I dont know if flask is really worth the 300+ gold.

opcow

03-12-2013

I can see where you're coming from on that, with being able to get about 9 red pots for the same price. I think it's really a question of how much use you're going to get out of it, plus, that it's sellable. If you're going to go-a-pokin and spam abilities as well as take some flack, I'd say it's worthwhile. But, If you're going to be more conservative with your mp, pots would be a better choice to keep you upright until you get to the fancier items.
What I've been doing is going back when I have the gold to buy an item I want, playing as aggressively as I can, not returning before I have an empty flask and the gold for said item.
I'm sure others have more insight into this. I know it's on a couple of the starting item examples on Yetti's TT guide.

Troy L Jenkins

03-13-2013

i think if some riot employee came along and would make the argument clearly why its better to buy the flask for any champ that needs both mana and health real early game, but in actual practice... meh. I just conserve on the ability spam and by level 5 its usually a non issue.

It does seem to me that flask would have more value on TT than on SR though, since its so much easier to justify a trip back to the base here than it is on SR.

SauronZ

10-28-2013

missclick