DD tourneys aren't really helping much anymore

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bma View Post
There's nothing wrong with Dominate Dominion as a tournament. It fulfills its purpose pretty well.

The real problem you are looking at is the overall infrastructure of Dominion -- How to attract and then retain players who have the potential to make it big.

Only the truly dedicated will put in the effort to play Dominion until they get to high-ish elo, then track down 4 other players of similar skill level, organise practice etc, and then reiterate by kicking/finding new players.

Ultimately, it's a hard process with the current infrastructure in Dominion and its somewhat low population. It also gets harder every time a team actually does succeed in doing this, because there are only so many good players in the pool, and the rate at which they are being introduced is pretty low.
Right. I'm saying that as long as DD in its current form is our sole source of promotion, we won't get very far in terms of attracting competitive players. Now, what can we do to change up DD to make it more appealing? Since we have no control over much of anything else.

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

I'm sure a lot of people know there's a problem. If they had a solution [that isn't ranked, mind you], they probably would've said something by now.

I don't actually think there are any particularly feasible suggestions that would actually do anything.

Koravel

03-12-2013

Awesome Explosion was *this* close to taking at least Game 1 from Cheese Enema last DD, and that was without Fancy Wolf and Loli Brigade. (They had 30 nexus health remaining.)

Wawix was forced to try, by his own admission. It can be done.

ZallKlos

03-12-2013

It's too difficult to find 4 players that you can play with more than once peer week because the player pool is very small.

konfetarius

03-12-2013

Quote:
when its staffed with 3 diamond/plat teams (mostly) who have impeccable mechanical skills and a strong grasp of the mode?

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Right. I'm saying that as long as DD in its current form is our sole source of promotion, we won't get very far in terms of attracting competitive players. Now, what can we do to change up DD to make it more appealing? Since we have no control over much of anything else.
I'm failing to see how this is logical. You want to attract competitive players...by removing the competitive players?

I believe the core issue of your thought process in this thread is that you believe that the DD tourneys are solely for the promotion of Dominion. This is really just a side effect. The tourneys exist to give a goal to players who want to strive to be the best at this map. Tourneys appeal to the player demographic that have the ambition to be the best and if you see the top teams and say "Oh, why should i even try?" then guess what? tourneys aren't for you.

Making Dominion appealing to a larger playerbase needs a different approach.

KaWraith

03-12-2013

I think the problem is that the DD tournament is an open Pro tournament. RCIX wants a separate bronze league dominion tournament. Sadly there aren't enough high level teams to have a big DD tourney with just pros, and a separate big "bronze" tourney.

I never found watching pro SR matches to be a turn of for playing SR... most people would kill for a chance just to lose to a top team (the idea that you got to play against them is cool enough).

Talith PA

03-12-2013

Konf laughing off the fact he has no idea what he is doing.

DiscworldDeath

03-12-2013

I'm with Nyx. I've kept thinking this as I tabbed into this thread.

Competition is a feature, not a bug, of tournaments. Meeting strong players who give their all to crush you is a feature of tournaments, not a bug.

The thought that DD is your sole promotional tool is a misattribution. Of course it fails to accomplish this goal, a tournament is not designed to accomplish it.
A tournament can serve to enhance, to rouse up interested people - those who already want to watch good games, or who want to test their mettle can join. Watching SR pros can make people excited and want to test things on their own - it doesn't really make them go "Yeah, I'm going to play in the tournament and do well, tomorrow!"

Now, someone earlier posted that "Everyone knows the issues", but that DD, as a tournament, is not a marketing tool to help people by playing? It's not really designed to do so.
DD is a site, a chat channel, and a tournament. The tournament is not designed to attract beginners and just mediocre players by way of attracting them to play in the tournament - they'll just get crushed.
This is what you have the stream with shoutcasters for. The tournament, as a marketing tool, is there to give people a concentrated dose, weekly, of higher level players, of seeing what Dominion can be, should they keep striving. Of showing them smarter play patterns than what they may encounter in their own games, better team comps, the power of ganks, etc.

DD, the tournament, is a great marketing tool, but not through attracting random people to play in it, but through showing them, on the twitch channel, what Dominion can be, if they get a bit higher on the invisible ladder.

Now, the reason people ask you to ask for solutions, and why they latch onto them probably stems from several reasons, as I see it:
1. You keep posting threads who are negative, and in the end mostly full of complaints with no real solutions. So people call you out on it.
2. You, as I pointed out earlier, found a problem where there is none - not that there are no issues, but you misattributed the problem to a place where it doesn't belong. The best way to show it is by "latching onto your examples", which show the issue is a non-issue, at least within the defined parameters (the DD tournament).
3. Well, let's be honest. Pointing fingers at issues is easy, and especially when you combine it with point #1, we want to see your solutions. Otherwise you're not really adding anything to the discussion. The "Ranked Dominion" thing had been rehashed endlessly, so either give us something new, or give us nothing at all. We call you out on giving us last year's newspaper and trying to pass it out as the greatest invention of the day.
4. Well, we want solutions, because we want solutions. You say you have solutions, so put up or shut up, as the saying goes. We'd love to see new solutions we hadn't thought of. Why do we latch onto the solutions and ignore your "real point"? Because your real point is a non-point, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

Finally, the "But does it bring us new players?" point is ridiculous, and just a way to shut down discussion. Ok, no, it may not necessarily bring you new players, but not everything can revolve around that, especially when you're also bleeding older players.

SuperQuackDuck

03-12-2013

DD doesnt bring us new players. Its not supposed to. It may have side effects of promoting dominion but its not its primary focus

1234567 ... 10