DD tourneys aren't really helping much anymore

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatMii

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
In the end, DD is scaring players away as much as it is interesting new ones, and the reasons outlined in the OP are why. I don't care about how it is now, I care about getting Dom more players. And stomping them and saying "lol tough beans you gotta practice for half a year to get anything" is not helping.

SR has ranked, and setting aside the dom ranked problem (PLEASE), there's no way to offer anyone but diamond converts with an (un)healthy dose of masochism a decent time right now. Do you want more people or don't you?
This reminds me of my first DD tourney when we stomped the first round team but proceeded to get destroyed by PECS. Did it stop by team, no, we continued and tried to improve now and currently we obtained 4th place two weeks in a row. If people are leaving Dominion after getting stomped, that means they have no incentive to even try to be good at it. Those players came into dominion thinking that it is a joke which is the leading reason why they leave.

DiscworldDeath

03-12-2013

Quote:
I have suggestions but everyone latches on to those if I post them. Thus, trying to keep it about the problem itself.
As Orphane put it, and I'm going to rephrase it:
That the better players and teams who put in more effort win consistently is not a problem, it's a feature. This is the whole concept of skill in competitive sports.

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
As Orphane put it, and I'm going to rephrase it:
That the better players and teams who put in more effort win consistently is not a problem, it's a feature. This is the whole concept of skill in competitive sports.
Does that get us more players?

ChemoshofBones

03-12-2013

frankly its a tournement and tournemnts are meant to be the competitive scene, so pushing easy mdoe button isnt the answer rcix.

HOWEVER at the same time i do agree that a 2nd competition for practice and if someone had the time resources maybe a small prize( not very big i woudl say as the intention of this particular event would be to attract attention to dom and give current participants mroe practice) to host a second event for this purpose i would say it would be ideal, that being said.... not sure theres time for this

In the end the best route is keeping to the course... and simply finding alternate attraction methods..
if a team likes it enough to practice and become competitive they will find other teams to scrim. Otherwise the only other way would be for players from the "big 3" to take up people and mentor them to a degree and lets face it, aint no one got time for that.

A Slime Appears

03-12-2013

I didn't think the purpose of DD was to bring in new players. Judging from the thread buwberry made to try and get people to participate by throwing money at them, I'd guess it's doing a pretty bad job at it. I thought it was just a pseudo-ranked mode for current users since riot won't have one soon, if ever.

Orphane

03-12-2013

DD is a way for people who think they can hack it competitively to see where they stand against other, equally competitive players. Sure, every week there are people who are new to Dominion who make teams and invariably get stomped, but it's because they didn't play Dominion to begin with. Honestly, I think playing and winning in DD should be the *end goal* of a competitive Dominion player and you should start by practicing in solo/premade queues/inhouses. If you think you've learned everything there is to learn from solo queue, then sure, make a team and join DD! But no Bronze V player expects to be able to walk into the World Championships and face off against TSM/Dignitas/whatever.

P.S.:
The problems with Dominion as a game mode certainly aren't caused or even exacerbated by DominateDominion. Most of the "new players" you're looking at trying to retain probably aren't even aware that DominateDominion exists.

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
DD is a way for people who think they can hack it competitively to see where they stand against other, equally competitive players. Sure, every week there are people who are new to Dominion who make teams and invariably get stomped, but it's because they didn't play Dominion to begin with. Honestly, I think playing and winning in DD should be the *end goal* of a competitive Dominion player and you should start by practicing in solo/premade queues/inhouses. If you think you've learned everything there is to learn from solo queue, then sure, make a team and join DD! But no Bronze V player expects to be able to walk into the World Championships and face off against TSM/Dignitas/whatever.

P.S.:
The problems with Dominion as a game mode certainly aren't caused or even exacerbated by DominateDominion. Most of the "new players" you're looking at trying to retain probably aren't even aware that DominateDominion exists.
Okay then, we need other means of competitive play which is less serious, but somehow my OP is being misread yet again =/

FatMii

03-12-2013

Quote:
Okay then, we need other means of competitive play which is less serious, but somehow my OP is being misread yet again =/
Going back to Orphane's reply, he said that you wouldn't expect a Bronze V player going against the top teams. Here is the same thing, it is hard for a player of low-mid Dom elo to go against the top teams.

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

This is just a thinly veiled 'we need a ranked mode' thread.

And we probably do need one but it's clearly not coming.

Bma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

There's nothing wrong with Dominate Dominion as a tournament. It fulfills its purpose pretty well.

The real problem you are looking at is the overall infrastructure of Dominion -- How to attract and then retain players who have the potential to make it big.

Only the truly dedicated will put in the effort to play Dominion until they get to high-ish elo, then track down 4 other players of similar skill level, organise practice etc, and then reiterate by kicking/finding new players.

Ultimately, it's a hard process with the current infrastructure in Dominion and its somewhat low population. It also gets harder every time a team actually does succeed in doing this, because there are only so many good players in the pool, and the rate at which they are being introduced is pretty low.

123456 ... 10