DD tourneys aren't really helping much anymore

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Foreword: I get that Dom community is small and doesn't have much room for maneuvering. That's not the point of this post.

--------------------------------

The DominateDominion tourneys are, at this point, basically showmatches for PECS, FTV, or Cheese Enema. It makes a great show, but honestly, would you want to be forced to participate against the top players as a matter of just trying to join some sort of competitive mode? It would be like forcing every ranked player to play [insert top team here] regularly no matter the ELO you're at (assuming something like that was physically possible).

SOMETHING should be done. I have my own ideas for solutions, which I will omit for the sake of keeping this about the problem itself, but as long as DD is unapproachable our one source of promotion is either a neutral or net negative on Dominion's playerbase. Everyone wants ranked, so in the meantime, why not make an actual competitive option that isn't about avoiding the boot heel of a Dominion god-team?

FatMii

03-12-2013

DD is not unapproachable. It is possible to beat all 3 of those teams. It is just hard to beat them and it is not helping when most of the dom players are not as mechanically skilled as players on those top 3 teams. For SR players, they lack the practice in Dominion which is the reason why they never get close to the top 4 teams. Also most SR players I see transitioning into Dominion are nothing but low elo players. If you can get high elo Diamond players, they might have a chance with sufficient practice in beating PECS.

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMii View Post
DD is not unapproachable. It is possible to beat all 3 of those teams. It is just hard to beat them and it is not helping when most of the dom players are not as mechanically skilled as players on those top 3 teams.
So you're saying DD is approachable when its staffed with 3 diamond/plat teams (mostly) who have impeccable mechanical skills and a strong grasp of the mode? That's BS as much as claiming that regular players could beat top teams if only they got just as good so it's fine to force randoms to play against them.

DiscworldDeath

03-12-2013

USA Open, in Tennis. Or the USA Open M:tG last chance qualifier (the "Grinder"). Free for all means just that, that you get to compete against everyone.

Do you prefer invitation only tournaments? You don't even make any suggestions.

Orphane

03-12-2013

Sigh, I went over this in another thread, but let's rehash this again!

You think PECS threw up their hands and said "screw this, DD is too skewed in favor of making Point Defense and Blind Pick Bandits look good and they should step aside so WE CAN WIN" back when +5 and BPB were alternating 1-2 finishes every tourney? Seriously?

Do you seriously expect that new teams are going to win against a team which has practiced together longer and and more intensely if they don't at least put in the same or more effort? Do you seriously think they would deserve it?

How do people even look at this ****ing situation and seriously think that "ok, well the problem is that PECS, FTV, Enema are TOO GOOD" instead of "this and that other team could be good if they keep practicing but oh they dropped out after 2 tourneys."

I guess I have to say it again because the depth of my incredulity that this line of thought is even a thing is like Captain Nemo on a ****in' scuba dive in the middle of the Marianas Trench: Seriously??

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
USA Open, in Tennis. Or the USA Open M:tG last chance qualifier (the "Grinder"). Free for all means just that, that you get to compete against everyone.

Do you prefer invitation only tournaments? You don't even make any suggestions.
I have suggestions but everyone latches on to those if I post them. Thus, trying to keep it about the problem itself.

FatMii

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
So you're saying DD is approachable when its staffed with 3 diamond/plat teams (mostly) who have impeccable mechanical skills and a strong grasp of the mode? That's BS as much as claiming that regular players could beat top teams if only they got just as good so it's fine to force randoms to play against them.
That is the same thing with SR. There are only pity tournaments for silver and under players. Even in the amateur SR tournaments, you have to be diamond ranked to compete with the other players. Are you saying that people should start tournaments for Platinum Players only?

Redeemed In Fire

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
Sigh, I went over this in another thread, but let's rehash this again!

You think PECS threw up their hands and said "screw this, DD is too skewed in favor of making Point Defense and Blind Pick Bandits look good and they should step aside so WE CAN WIN" back when +5 and BPB were alternating 1-2 finishes every tourney? Seriously?

Do you seriously expect that new teams are going to win against a team which has practiced together longer and and more intensely if they don't at least put in the same or more effort? Do you seriously think they would deserve it?

How do people even look at this ****ing situation and seriously think that "ok, well it's a problem that PECS, FTV, Enema are TOO GOOD" instead of "this and that other team could be good if they keep practicing but oh they dropped out after 2 tourneys."

I guess I have to say it again because the depth of my incredulity that this line of thought is even a thing is like Captain Nemo on a ****in' scuba dive in the middle of the Marianas Trench: Seriously??
In the end, DD is scaring players away as much as it is interesting new ones, and the reasons outlined in the OP are why. I don't care about how it is now, I care about getting Dom more players. And stomping them and saying "lol tough beans you gotta practice for half a year to get anything" is not helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMii View Post
That is the same thing with SR. There are only pity tournaments for silver and under players. Even in the amateur SR tournaments, you have to be diamond ranked to compete with the other players. Are you saying that people should start tournaments for Platinum Players only?
SR has ranked, and setting aside the dom ranked problem (PLEASE), there's no way to offer anyone but diamond converts with an (un)healthy dose of masochism a decent time right now. Do you want more people or don't you?

Sauron

03-12-2013

It's almost like the top players didn't start at the top, and improved themselves overtime through regular playing for the purposes of being the best.

inFe eD

03-12-2013

New teams will still get stomped. Just not by us. This changes absolutely nothing.

12345 ... 10