A real discussion about this ranked format, please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unicornshart

03-14-2013

I like your ideas about changing the ranking system but predetermine roles is kind of hard and sometimes annoying. A person can go to challenger division only learning one role...

ZOMGTURTLE

03-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius1264 View Post
And I will counter that with, "No, you're wrong." My own case is a prime example. I am a skilled player. I have no way to really prove this to you other than playing you 1v1, which isn't really a strong indicator of how good I am as a player in 5v5, but it will give you an idea that I know how to play the game, how to kill an opponent, and how to win. Yet, for the past 2 weeks, I have lost about 90% of the games I've played and that is not an exaggeration. When I play, I play a carry, and I almost always win my lane and do my job, but inevitably lose because of fail teammates who don't know proper end-game strategy, quitters who afk, or one of the other million reasons why people lose. I have dropped practically 2 tiers of rank due to these losses that are completely out of my control. I could be the best player in the world and never win a game, because of the simple fact that it is a team game and 1 player cannot win against 5 on his own (unless you're darius, cuz he's OP as hell).
And I will counter that with "No, you're wrong." This has been debated a number of times, but the simplest example is just to use odds of probability. If you're a good player, then the variables are the other 9. You have a statistically lower chance to have any noobs/feeders/leavers/afks on the other team as on yours. Your team already has the advantage of you. Therefore, if you really are a good player, you will win more often than you lose.

I know that's not always the case, I hit a 22 game slide myself last season, falling from the cusp of Gold to the middle of Bronze. I started to put more of the team on my back. I not only won my lane, I would win another lane. I started jungling a lot, controlling the map, warding for lanes, watching the map and pinging incoming ganks, increasing my awareness and effectiveness... and I carried myself out. Currently in my promo series to get into Gold III and still improving myself. A good player can carry teams more often than they drag him down. That's why your rating is based on your wins/losses in a team game, not individual play. It's pretty easy to get a good KDA while not being a useful, contributing member of the team. It's also very possible to have a poor KDA and be instrumental to the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius1264 View Post
Yes, it would create a flux in the queue system, again using WoW as an example. The queues take about 20 minutes if you are solo queued in as a dps. However, tanks and healers get in instantly. If we roll that over to LoL, then anyone who wants to play mid / top might have a longer queue, because those are the most contested lanes, but people who support get in instantly because those are least contested. Is that a bad thing? If anything, it forces players to learn to play support and learn more roles so they can queue for anything and get into games faster. I'm all for forcing the learning process onto the player base, because people now have no interest in learning to get better, they just like to whine and complain and stay stuck where they are at and the rest of us have to suffer for it.
This is an idea that's fairly problematic, because you can have a team without a meta role. I got beat recently in a game by a double bruiser bot. Their team had no ADC. The meta is not gospel, so you can't really impliment a system like this without squashing creativity, which Riot will not do.

I understand your pain. I really do. But I think your outlook is skewed to your current situation. I think if you get less of a mentality of winning your lane and getting a good score, and more of a mentality of "how do I make myself as beastly as possible and carry this entire team on my back to victory," your win rate will improve and you'll climb out. Just improve yourself, your attitude, and your teamwork, and I'll see you in Gold.

TheFakeSit

03-14-2013

Your queue system would make sure that nobody would ever be able to master a role or ever go competitive in that role.