Perfecting a champion or playing many?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

03-11-2013

I've always been curious as to what makes a better player: Sticking with a small number of champs you play almost every game with or being able to play a larger number of champions?

With the smaller pool, you get used to those few champions, you learn their strengths and weaknesses and effectiveness, you can pull off stronger plays with them. However, won't people look at your stats and think "This is guy is only good with <champion> and no one else"?

With the larger pool, you can counter pick more effectively, but you may not have as much experience with them and may not be able to counter PLAY your opponents.

Basically I'm just wondering how to go about jumping into ranked with a better mindset. Should I go about getting used to as many champs I can as possible quickly or just stick with the ones I know for ranked?

Kensai07

03-11-2013

I prefer to play anything, but I generally stay out of ranked.

It increases knowledge of the game as a whole rather than from a magnifying glass.

ViashinoWizard

03-11-2013

A good rule of thumb for ranked is to have at least two champs for each role.

Phuffu

03-11-2013

I play as many as possible, but only ones I like usually, like I might buy a few champs, see which one I like the most, then only play that one and come back to the others later, but just to not get bored I play as many as possible

AlexanderXI

03-11-2013

I usually try out different champs but stick to a few in consistant practce. It^s always good to get a feel for the playstyle of various champs but it's never a bad idea to get real familiar with a small set of tye ones you really like.

Vycky

03-11-2013

I like to try new champions when they become available to me, but generally stick with a few so I can perfect my art. It's a best case scenario to have a large champion pool so you're a versatile player, but if winning is your game then you best stick to learning a few champions first and then enlarging that pool.

Even if you don't play certain champions very much, it's good to play them sometimes so when you come across one on your team or on the opposing team, it's good to know their strengths and weaknesses.

PurpleWoof

03-12-2013

It's almost a mix of both.

I personally can play a TON of champs well. That being said, I think that every player, regardless of how large their champion pool may be, can tell you they have 1 or 2 favorites at every role.

For instance, I can play top well with over a dozen champs. But my go-to champs? Wukong and Singed. I'm confident enough in my other tops that I can counter pick opponents if the opportunity presents itself, but I always have my two fall back champs that I know I can do well with regardless of the enemy top.

Anyways, if you're just starting ranked, I'd suggest focusing on learning a range of champions for 2-3 roles. If you know you're not a good adc or jungler, don't bother practising champs for those roles. Instead focus on expanding your top, mid, and support abilities. You have to remember that in ranked, you're matched with 5 strangers, each of which will probably want a specific role, and you need to be flexible for that.
Eventually you'll want at least 1-2 solid champs even in your weaker roles, but decide which roles are your favorite and learn how to play a number of champs for those roles.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2013

Its a GREAT idea to play EVERY champion at least once. Knowing the small intricate movements each champion needs to make to survive can really help you once you go against them.

Though, for competitive play, its best to have 2/3 of each role, and have 2 roles you are really good at. State your 2 best roles at the beginning of the ranked match, then ask what everyone wants to play. Don't be a sour grape if you don't get your role.

Killme304

03-12-2013

I play Singed top whenever I get the chance, but I would get bored quickly if I only played him every game. Variety keeps the game flowing, and while getting good with one champion is very rewarding, when that character gets picked/banned you are screwed because you can't do well with another. I do a ton of Taric support, because I love being tanky, but I also play Sona because that harass can easily push people out of lane. Different situations will make your favorite champion the worst possible pick (like picking mord mid vs a fizz).

tl;dr: Get decent with a few before you narrow down your faves, that way you don't get screwed.

Rawrful

03-12-2013

Know how to play every champion, specialize at a small number.