Transitioning from Casual play to Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khori Lake

03-11-2013

Alright, so I have finally hit level 30. I am working on my runes currently and trying to make sure that my rune pages and masteries. However, I want to start playing ranked and improving my game. Currently I am looking just for any friendly advice anyone in the community can give me. Thanks a bunch.

OriginalJack

03-11-2013

Be prepared to play each role and know a few champs for each role. It's fine to specialize in one or two roles but you need to be prepared to play each role or be prepared to lose LP because of it.

Be able to keep a cool head. It's easy to go on tilt when things are looking bad but if you play your best and keep trying without letting negative vibes get to you (or create negative vibes) you'd be surprised how often the other team throws the game away.

Be familiar with common draft strats. Which champs are popular tend to vary from patch to patch but there are some champs that people seem to always have trouble dealing with so try to avoid letting the enemy get those champs. For example I'm not saying you need to ban blitz every game but make sure whoever you're sending bot lane is able to deal with him if the enemy does pick him.

Know what makes a good team comp. In general you want to have a source of consistent AD damage, AP damage, somebody to initiate, and somebody who can take hits without blowing up right away... I'm not going to expand on this too much but you should try to pick a champ that's going to fit with the team. But one thing I would avoid is taking a champ you aren't familiar with vs one you know really well just because it fits the team comp well. For example if your team is calling for you to jungle Amumu and you've only played him once before ranked is not the place to try to get familiar with him, that's what normals are for.

CaughtSword

03-11-2013

Same situation for me, I really want to try ranked. Unfortunately I'm kinda scared that everyone is super awesome and will own me....

laxjoh

03-11-2013

People are more serious and a bit more... hmm skill oriented because they are trying harder usually.

Moral of the story. Learn how to use the mute button towards verbally abusive players. Another tip. Try to find ONE SPECIFIC ROLE and specifically ONE CHAMP that you are best at/enjoy the most. But definitely learn all roles just in case. Most pro's played one champ to climb majority of their rankings. Also, get LoLReplay and watch your own games when you are dissatisfied with your own performance and see if you can do better. Never blame teammates even if it is their fault.

Fluffyknowsyou

03-11-2013

https://www.youtube.com/user/gbay99

This guys has some useful tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=xD7VayT4KqQ#!

Comic relief, gives good advice^

General guidelines:

Know the roles:support,jungle, middle lane, solo top and attack damage adc(adc)
Know what they do
Practice the role in normals
Learn what counter picking is
Use any spare gold for wards(any role)
Don't get sucked into the idiocy when someone calls you **** 4 feedING DA ENEMEE CHAMPIONS REPORT
Expect to lose half your games unless you're a league of legends genius

nusabi

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyknowsyou View Post
https://www.youtube.com/user/gbay99

This guys has some useful tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=xD7VayT4KqQ#!

Comic relief, gives good advice^

General guidelines:

Know the roles:support,jungle, middle lane, solo top and attack damage adc(adc)
Know what they do
Practice the role in normals
Learn what counter picking is
Use any spare gold for wards(any role)
Don't get sucked into the idiocy when someone calls you **** 4 feedING DA ENEMEE CHAMPIONS REPORT
Expect to lose half your games unless you're a league of legends genius

solid advice, im in the same boat as to wanting to jump from normals to ranked

PewPewMoar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
Be prepared to play each role and know a few champs for each role. It's fine to specialize in one or two roles but you need to be prepared to play each role or be prepared to lose LP because of it.

Be able to keep a cool head. It's easy to go on tilt when things are looking bad but if you play your best and keep trying without letting negative vibes get to you (or create negative vibes) you'd be surprised how often the other team throws the game away.

Be familiar with common draft strats. Which champs are popular tend to vary from patch to patch but there are some champs that people seem to always have trouble dealing with so try to avoid letting the enemy get those champs. For example I'm not saying you need to ban blitz every game but make sure whoever you're sending bot lane is able to deal with him if the enemy does pick him.

Know what makes a good team comp. In general you want to have a source of consistent AD damage, AP damage, somebody to initiate, and somebody who can take hits without blowing up right away... I'm not going to expand on this too much but you should try to pick a champ that's going to fit with the team. But one thing I would avoid is taking a champ you aren't familiar with vs one you know really well just because it fits the team comp well. For example if your team is calling for you to jungle Amumu and you've only played him once before ranked is not the place to try to get familiar with him, that's what normals are for.
This is very good advice, I'd just like to expand upon each section

let your team know what you are good at but don't refuse to play a different role, proper team composition is more important than solo q hero mode.

going on tilt is very bad. If you lose 3 games in a row, step back and do something else for the rest of the day. Even if you dont think youre on tilt, you probably are.

Common bans for starting out are: shen, blitz, amumu, malphite, darius, akali, and a wild card.

this is hard to expand upon without writing a paper :x

Khori Lake

03-12-2013

I want to say thanks for the advice and I will put it to good use. Any other advice is gladly accepted and welcomed....

PoisonedPeace

03-12-2013

Your main focuses should be not dying and taking objectives.

SickSchick

03-12-2013

The community in ranked is very similar to that in normal believe it or not.
You will find the same sort of people- half want to mess around and half are trying,
In order to counter the ones who are messing around (trolling) you must keep an up beat attitude,
the meta doesnt always win games. People cant play against what they are not used to seeing on the other half of summoners rift.
My main advice to you is to be the person that tries to keep their team mentally in it.
Trash talk only leads to more trolling.