Seriously, how the F*** do you Rengar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Poz

03-11-2013

Like the title says, how do I do it?

I get the kit, but it just seems like I get wrecked every time. I don't seem to have enough damage to be able to take out a carry quick enough and my jungle clear is really not that safe. I've tried top a few times but have really only faced Jayce and Rumbles (really ****ty luck and got eaten by the range and poke).

Runes Are:

Reds: AD or ArmPen
Yellows: Arm or HP@18
Blues: MR@18 or CD
Quints: AD or AP or Move Speed or %HP

I've also gone a few different 21/9/0 variants and messed around with mixing Offense and Defense.

Any tips on clearing or ganking? Or any advice in general.

Please and Thank you Summoners.

Iceland

Recruiter

03-11-2013

If you aren't regularly winning fights then you'll have to wait, for the enemies' mistake, they'll try to kill you under tower. If so then you can build ferocity stacks for your stun, then just stun them under tower and wait for more mistakes, rinse and repeat. It can be hard to just wait and farm but most times it pays to wait.

Support Supports

03-12-2013

Ive experimented with him a lot. Here's what works for me:
Runes: AD Quint, AD Red, Armor Yel, CDR/Armor/Mr blue
Masteries 21/9/0

Smite and Ignite/Teleport

The name of the game is farm. He's not like Xin and Lee. You don't gank at 2 3 4 and so on. You only gank when its a guaranteed kill. Otherwise just farm. I get wriggles lantern first or Madreds and boots. Then I go bonetooth, then TF. Get 6 ASAP and his ganks become much stronger. You don't need to burst the person you are ganking. You can root them. Pre-6 the only real way to gank is to have your ally engage in a 1v1 and when they are fully engaged gank. You might get lucky with a Ferocity root. I level Q first, then E then W. After TF I get bloodthirster then GA. I use boots of mobility. Dont engage fights. You arent a tank you are an assassin. Wait for the right time, even if its a few seconds after the fight started and jump in the back. Gorilla tactics. Use your head. This isnt a balls to the wall champion. This is a thinker. Sometimes its best not to help your team. Rengar can push towers faster than Yi. I've gone 1/13 as rengar and single handedly won the game because I pushed an entire enemy base. They were team fighting mid and I got all 3 towers top and the inhib. The game ended like 9-43 and we won.

Great Pyrenees

03-12-2013

Interesting question. Honest answer. You play Rengar when he is first released when he is at his most powerful and can actually scale up his trophies. As soon as they nerfed him he went strait to hell. I see people occasionally play him in diamond and they skip buying the trophy because he cant be snowballed anymore. Long story short Riot makes their money then ends that toons life forever. RIP Hiemerdinger.

Support Supports

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees View Post
Interesting question. Honest answer. You play Rengar when he is first released when he is at his most powerful and can actually scale up his trophies. As soon as they nerfed him he went strait to hell. I see people occasionally play him in diamond and they skip buying the trophy because he cant be snowballed anymore. Long story short Riot makes their money then ends that toons life forever. RIP Hiemerdinger.
This guy is a horrible player.

Thanias1

03-13-2013

I know exactly how you feel lol. One day I bought RP and was just like "You know what? Rengar's on sale, ima buy him." And then followed the chaos. I think I've played him in three totally different ways throughout time I've owned him. First I tried building him for damage, and I've got to admit. It was nice seeing him tear the carries to shreds in a matter of seconds. The problem? Rengar is EXTREMELY vulnerable to cc, and if you get fed, the opposing team will ALWAYS target you. Also, with the ult nerf, Riot successfully prevented the "engage, disengage, engage again" trick that was so OP for rengar. After that, I watched the championships and I was all like "Oh, build him as a tank? Why didn't I think of that?" So now I could tank the enemy, and do a liiiiiittle bit of damage, but I couldn't carry games for my team unless I got INCREDIBLY fed.

And now, the most recent Rengar patch. BLESS YOU RIOT!!!! This is what has made all the difference for me. Because of the flat heal on his W and the larger focus on single targeting in jungle Rengar is now SO MUCH MORE AWESOME!!! I now build him with my main focus on damage, and a little bit into tankiness. You are right that his jungle clears leave him dangerously low, but this is only true for the first few clears, and it is easily manageable with liberal use of potions. Don't be greedy with them pots. I saw someone else in the tread who had a similar build to me, starting with the machete going to wriggles, then getting the tooth and the TF. From there several things can happen. If I want tankiness, spirit visage is great (or sunfire if armor is a MUST) and I try to start building higher damage items like BT or IE. I haven't tried it on him yet, but a BoTRK would probably work well.

As for Runes and masteries, I get AD reds and quints, armor yellows, and mr/lvl blues. Standard AD bruiser runes. You can mix it up if you want with armor pen and stuff, but I don't bother. Masteries aren't very important unless your jungling. I build 9/21/0 because of Rengar's crappiness in the jungle early game.

Friend me if you want more help- same name.

THANIAS OUT!!!!

vortical42

03-13-2013

Someone else upvote Thanias pls, I accidently clicked the wrong button X_X.

In any case, I went through pretty much the same thing. Once they added the flat heal, his early levels smoothed out and I could finally build something other than massive health. I've never tried building spirit visage on him, but it sounds interesting. Does anyone know if his heal is affected by the passive on SV?
As for BoTRK, I really don't see much advatage building that. It doesn't give much extra damage vs squishy targets (which should be your primary focus), especially since Rengar tends to build for burst damage rather than attack speed. If you just want the lifesteal, then BT or even Gunblade give you more for the money.

P.S. I'm going to look stupid asking this but what is TF? I can't think of any common items for rengar with those initials.

Madraac

03-13-2013

TF = Trinity Force, one of the better current items that gives you a ton of utility, but not great for a focused role.

My problem with Rengar, is that even after the latest patch, he just does not have the initiation you need as a jungler during the laning phase. His passive is almost wasted as it is just out of range of minion waves and such unless they are backing themselves up a bit. However, when there is a bigger wave, use his passive to leap to the minons and get a free mini flash to engage. I do not like ignite on him personally, as I have found that exhaust is much better for the damage reduction and chase.

If you can que up with at least one friend or more, Rengar does become better as your team can help push dying enemy champs into or through jungles which allow you to leap to them that much easier.

Overall, he is a decent champ and fun to play... but skip the Bonetooth.

vortical42

03-13-2013

Well that explains why I was confused. It's hard to get enough gold from the jungle to buy TF, even for someone who can make full use of it. The only thing TF gives you that you can't get elsewhere is the sheen proc, and I just don't think that's enough to justify spending gold on mana for a manaless champ.

Thanias1

03-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madraac View Post
TF = Trinity Force, one of the better current items that gives you a ton of utility, but not great for a focused role.

My problem with Rengar, is that even after the latest patch, he just does not have the initiation you need as a jungler during the laning phase. His passive is almost wasted as it is just out of range of minion waves and such unless they are backing themselves up a bit. However, when there is a bigger wave, use his passive to leap to the minons and get a free mini flash to engage. I do not like ignite on him personally, as I have found that exhaust is much better for the damage reduction and chase.

If you can que up with at least one friend or more, Rengar does become better as your team can help push dying enemy champs into or through jungles which allow you to leap to them that much easier.

Overall, he is a decent champ and fun to play... but skip the Bonetooth.
Lots of people say skip the bonetooth, but I don't agree with that. It adds a LOT of extra utility hard to grab from other items. It gives CDR, Armor Pen, MS, and lots of other cool things. I don't think it's necessarily wasteful, and I think it's quite a good item for its price. Getting it early game allows you to slowly gain the bonuses from it throughout the game, and is REALLY helpful to junglers as it gives you stacks even if you only get an assist.

So, addressing the engage tactics for ganking in the early game: Rengar has CRAPPY ganks till lvl 6, BUT this does not mean you should not gank at all. When playing as a jungling Rengar, PUNISH the enemy team for pushing up to your turret. The only thing you need is good coordination from your laning buddies, make sure they get some kind of cc onto their lane opponents, and then just walk up the lane to assist in the killing. Many people make the stupid instinctual mistake of running to the bushes to try and avoid a gank. I find this HILARIOUS!!! But seriously, as Rengar, for ganking till lvl 6, don't bother trying to wait in the bush for anything to get close, because in all reality that won't happen. And DO NOT waste a full ferocity bar on your 1 second snare. Too many people do this, and it is a horrible choice. Only do this if your lane has no form of cc AT ALL, because a ferocity Q combo will do so much damage that it will make a gigantic difference if you waste it on a 1 second snare and then the flash away. If you're able to get the damage onto them, and then they flash, they must then decide whether or not to recall, and if they stay when low on health, your lane may be able to towerdive. If they recall, free farm for bot lane, and if you get counterganked, well, just remember to build up charge on minions if there's a break, cuz you will need it.

I would love to talk more about Rengar, but I feel kinda long-winded lol. I'll keep checking this thread and address anything I see, but if you want a more indepth talk about how to play him, friend me and message me in lol.

THANIAS OUT!!!!