Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you build to carry games as an ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azellos

03-11-2013

To the OP, i reccomend rushing BoRK before IE on Trist. She gets a free 90% AS buff, which is INSANE when coupled with BoRK's % based damage. Plus it has a decent amount of AD and AS, in addition to lifesteal and the active. It basically makes Trist a mid game threat, and her late game is always one of the scariest out there.

Typical build for me as Tristana: dorans>boots1+cutlass>zerker boots+BoRK> usually PD for sustained damage+synergy, but sometimes IE if i need "big burst hits". After that you'll have 3/6 items (not counting dorans), so grab a LW if you need the pen, the other from IE/PD if you want pure damage, Warmogs if you want to stay alive. Feel free to mix and match this a bit, such as getting an early giant's belt, but this is a solid way to build Tristana.

Quote:
xSeCKSx:
Adc's only carry when extremely ahead. If you're up against competent opponents, they won't let you get that far ahead.

Truth is, in order to get those kill counts, your support is going to dictate the lane more than you will. Sadly, support is usually forced onto the last pick.

Picking adc is less about team comp, more about lane comp. They all rely on high damage auto attacks in the end, some are better at single target like Vayne, others are more AoE centric like Twitch and his ult.

I'm kinda surprised I've been able to play adc as often as I have in ranked considering the nasty losing streaks I've gone on since placement.

I disagree with this. A strong ADC doesn't need a good support, it's merely a bonus. I played just yesterday as Tristana, had a nidalee who went 0/5 and was level 4 when everyone else was level 7. This is Gold 1/Plat 5 level. I still out csed my opposing caitlyn, caught up on kills during mid game, and late game out carried her.

AsphodelNext

03-12-2013

Yeah, that's pretty much what I build on Trist, Doran's to Boots to BoRK to PD, minus the Doran's sometimes if I feel confident. I've actually been getting Black Cleaver for the pen(sounds horrible, but some health/CDR is good and it's more penetration than Last Whisper on anyone below 100 armor after 4 hits) Sometimes I get Last Whisper too, just to prevent tanks from building armor instead of health to survive. Warmog's just sounds ugly, I agree more with Frozen Mallet, but this is the League of Warmog's meta now, I guess.

SeCKS Egai

03-12-2013

Quote:
Azellos:
To the OP, i reccomend rushing BoRK before IE on Trist. She gets a free 90% AS buff, which is INSANE when coupled with BoRK's % based damage. Plus it has a decent amount of AD and AS, in addition to lifesteal and the active. It basically makes Trist a mid game threat, and her late game is always one of the scariest out there.

Typical build for me as Tristana: dorans>boots1+cutlass>zerker boots+BoRK> usually PD for sustained damage+synergy, but sometimes IE if i need "big burst hits". After that you'll have 3/6 items (not counting dorans), so grab a LW if you need the pen, the other from IE/PD if you want pure damage, Warmogs if you want to stay alive. Feel free to mix and match this a bit, such as getting an early giant's belt, but this is a solid way to build Tristana.

I disagree with this. A strong ADC doesn't need a good support, it's merely a bonus. I played just yesterday as Tristana, had a nidalee who went 0/5 and was level 4 when everyone else was level 7. This is Gold 1/Plat 5 level. I still out csed my opposing caitlyn, caught up on kills during mid game, and late game out carried her.

Sounds like your front line held and no one fed your lane in poorly executed ganks\engages. Being 0/4 and underlevel isn't too bad if her deaths allowed you to stay alive or even get kills in the process. The support is what gives the enemy pause instead of jumping you two on 1.

When I say carry I refer to being the deciding factor. If your front line holds up, there's no reason you shouldn't do well once the team fights commence. Of course, trist has a bit more mobility than your average carry so you can also reposition with a well-executed rocket jump and take out priority targets even if the bruisers dive you.

I've still "carried" with a score as low as 11/5/5, but it wasn't so much on me as the team holding up long enough for me to dish out the damage. When I think of carry as it used to be, I think of how an adc used to deal so much damage that fighting an adc 1 on 1 for anyone was a scary premise.

Since starting ranked, I've seen the supports decide so many lanes. Most of the time it's because the support is able to gain lane control and the other isn't able to regain it. Sometimes it's from a support that forces engages in bad positions leading to deaths. Others still have lanes where the support knows to wait for an opportunity as they're zoned, so that both he/she and the adc can capitalize once the tide is in their favor.

Of course, as an adc main but someone who's consistently run support and jungle, I may see things a bit differently. I've seen plenty of games where the adcs were practically a non-factor, regardless if one was more ahead or not. I've carried games as a support setting up opportunities for the adc and rest of the team.

I used to think that kill count was a testament to the adc - after branching out into all the roles (and probably season 3 as a whole) I've come to accept that adc kill count doesn't happen without the team creating the opportunities for you.