How do you build to carry games as an ADC?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsphodelNext

03-11-2013

Okay, so I'm trying to play ADC again, after playing a lot of jungle, and I'm finding I just don't have the power to carry late game anymore. For example, as a fed six-stack Cho'gath, I can 1v2 them and come out ahead under the right circumstances. However, I find myself struggling to even win the game as a fed ADC. It seems like the enemy team can just cut straight through my team, CC me, and kill me before I have a chance to get my damage off.

Do I need to stop building pure glass cannon(D blade, boots, IE, PD, BT/BoRK, LW, etc.) and build something like a Maw of Malmortius or a Banshee's early? Cause it feels like I just don't have the stopping power that ADC's used to have, and if my team can't stop the enemy from getting to me, I only have like 2 escapes before I'm done. Really, that's why I'm building BoRK, to try and knock down the tanks. But they always get to me anyway. Do I need to prioritize it more?

Nightwhite3

03-11-2013

As an adc you should still be building full damage but if you feel like you need defense then Frozen Mallet is a great item. You should also encourage your team to build aura items such as the Runic Bulwark for the armor and mr.

MyLittleAshie

03-11-2013

I usually get 1 defensive item appropriate to the primary pressure I'm facing, and if I'm feeling the heat early, it'll usually be my 3rd for 4th item. As an ADC, you're pretty much *meant* to be a glass cannon. You can't really avoid it without troll building defense and becoming a non-threat, which I think you begin to flirt with if you consider 2+ defensive items.

I don't think you should find the solution in the build - trying to bulk up a character that's not designed to be bulky simply removes the one thing you're meant to do, imo. Lately, I've been working on moving between my AAs (a la frame cancelling) so I'm constantly repositioning without losing DPS. I also play more Caitlyn now, though that's more 'cuz I wanted a change than anything else. Her traps and net help immensely for when the enemy slips through the front line (my god, I love netting over walls).

Dpaladinx

03-11-2013

Also, your choice of adc matters. Some adcs rely on using their attack skills to deal lots of burst damage instead of autoattacking (like Ezreal, Graves, and Draven), so you should consider building items like the Bloodthrister, Iceborn Gauntlet/Trinity Force, and Last Whisper as your first items. Other adcs (those that fall under the "hypercarry" category where they have a difficult early game, but having one of the strongest lategames) are more dependent on autoattacking such as Tristana, Caitlyn, Ashe, Kog'maw, and Vayne, so building items like Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, and Blade of the Ruined King is more useful. What items to build varies from game to game and the enemy team build. For example, if you notice the enemy is stacking a lot of health or relies on building lots of health like Singed and Dr. Mundo; consider taking Koggy as your adc and building Blade of the Ruined King as your secondary item instead of Phantom Dancer.

AsphodelNext

03-11-2013

The problem is really that my team is doing poorly, so they can't build the aura items(without compromising their own stats) Normally, as a jungle, I can help bring the team back up, but as an ADC, I find it's much harder.

I've been maining Caitlyn, and I already know how to reposition between autos(I can't do it well in teamfights yet, but I can at least get last hits without taking damage from an unblocked minion wave.) My net skills aren't good enough that I can net through walls under pressure, though, I'm still working on them.

Most of the time, I pick my ADC based on my bot lane opponent, not the rest of the team, so maybe that's why I win lane, but lose the game. Pretty much all of my ADC's that I play fall under the second category, so maybe I'll learn some from the first.

Lethadind

03-11-2013

The meta has shifted to favor bruisers even more than in S2, so, yeah. While I'm not pro I usually prioritize BoRK first because it's sort of broken right now, and I've heard the same from people who are in the upper echelons of the divisions. So, yeah.

As far as why you're dying it may be because you're used to the jungle mindset of "GET IN THERE AND KILL THINGS!!! RRRRAAAWWWWRRR!!!" ADC has to play at the fringes, your number one priority is yourself. Staying out of harm's way is usually the best decision, even if it means staying far enough away that you aren't throwing out godly deeps.

MyLittleAshie

03-11-2013

I agree that it's hard to play an ADC effectively if your team's not synching up. You need to be carried before you can carry them. Do you watch any streamers? Think what you will of Chaox from Team Solomid, but I love watching his streams (I use ggstrats.com for these things). Seeing how he manages to carry despite playing with team's he doesn't know has helped my mentality.

AsphodelNext

03-11-2013

Hmmm, maybe that's why I do so much better with Trist than with Cait. With Trist, because she has her massive attack speed buff ability, I always prioritize BoRK first, but on Cait, I still go traditional IE PD BT, with sometimes a BoRK thrown in. It's weird, the item is a lot like Bloodrazor, but I wouldn't ever have thought of putting a Bloodrazor on anyone but Teemo, Kogmaw, or Warwick before. I guess they buffed the stats, and made it lifesteal, making it much better. They're probably gonna nerf it soon.

xSeCKSx

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphodelNext View Post
The problem is really that my team is doing poorly, so they can't build the aura items(without compromising their own stats) Normally, as a jungle, I can help bring the team back up, but as an ADC, I find it's much harder.

I've been maining Caitlyn, and I already know how to reposition between autos(I can't do it well in teamfights yet, but I can at least get last hits without taking damage from an unblocked minion wave.) My net skills aren't good enough that I can net through walls under pressure, though, I'm still working on them.

Most of the time, I pick my ADC based on my bot lane opponent, not the rest of the team, so maybe that's why I win lane, but lose the game. Pretty much all of my ADC's that I play fall under the second category, so maybe I'll learn some from the first.
Adc's only carry when extremely ahead. If you're up against competent opponents, they won't let you get that far ahead.

Truth is, in order to get those kill counts, your support is going to dictate the lane more than you will. Sadly, support is usually forced onto the last pick.

Picking adc is less about team comp, more about lane comp. They all rely on high damage auto attacks in the end, some are better at single target like Vayne, others are more AoE centric like Twitch and his ult.

I'm kinda surprised I've been able to play adc as often as I have in ranked considering the nasty losing streaks I've gone on since placement.

Deathless81C

03-11-2013

An ADC will benefit immensely when teamed with bruisers/tanks that can grab attention and properly initiate and honestly if you have a good support champ no reason that them building a Runic should somehow mess up their build.