Rengar Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Support Supports

03-10-2013

Hey there. A little about me: I've been playing League of Legends on and off for years, since they first released their new champion Xin Xhao. I've made it to Gold but I usually get an account banned before I make it any higher. (I have anger issues). I'm not the best player but I'm better than a large majority.

The thing is Rengar is my favorite champion. Unfortunately he is one of my worst and I'm trying to get better at him. I'm just not certain how to build him. I've read a lot of guides and disagree with many of them or some are outdated like AP rengar. I cannot find a build I'm happy with. Here's what I've tried and the results.

Glass Cannon:
Madreds -> Berserkers Boots -> Bonetooth -> BF Sword -> Bloodthirster -> TF -> Warmog -> Blade of Ruined King

Results: Ganks were very powerful. I'd burst people down in a second then Id usually die. Heavily relies on early game kills. CC and tanks ruin this build.

Jungling -> Level Q first, then E, Then W. One point in each at 3.

Tank:
Wriggles -> MR Boots -> Bonetooth -> Frozen Mallet -> Warmogs -> Blade

Results: Very little damage. Getting kills through ganks is hard. End game I dont seem to be a huge threat like I would be if I picked a different champion

Jungling -> Level Q first, Then E, Then W.

It seems to me Rengar relies heavily on damage items to dish out damage. The natural damage on his abilities is rather low. Masteries I usually go 21/x/x for offense and x/21/x for defense. Runes I usually have AD Quint and red and armor for the rest.

What kind of builds have you guys tried that worked well?
What I'm not looking for: People saying hes a broken champ, people reminiscing on the old rengar.

Kusurou

03-10-2013

I stand by everything you say. Rengar is my favorite champ as well. However, I came across a rather odd set of builds that all depend on how you wish to play.

Lategame Terror:
Ionian Boots --> Phage --> Bonetooth --> Tiamat --> Trinity Force --> Ravenous Hydra --> Bloodthirster -> Warmogs

Results: This build is wonderful if you have good teamwork. You'll pretty much burst down any idiot that dare challenge you one on one. They won't even be given the chance to run with the damage you'll **** out. You can trade Trinity Force for Frozen Mallet for more survivability, but I'd recommend getting rid of the warmogs then.

Jungling --> Level Q then W then E.

Rengar's heal and armor are his lifesavers in lane. I see a lot of people who think maxing E or Q first is smart. Considering how squishy he is now (compared to before), he can be damaged a lot easier. Maxing his W and then his Q ensures survivability and lets you stay in lane a lot longer and take your enemy down safer.

Support Supports

03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusurou View Post
I stand by everything you say. Rengar is my favorite champ as well. However, I came across a rather odd set of builds that all depend on how you wish to play.

Lategame Terror:
Ionian Boots --> Phage --> Bonetooth --> Tiamat --> Trinity Force --> Ravenous Hydra --> Bloodthirster -> Warmogs

Results: This build is wonderful if you have good teamwork. You'll pretty much burst down any idiot that dare challenge you one on one. They won't even be given the chance to run with the damage you'll **** out. You can trade Trinity Force for Frozen Mallet for more survivability, but I'd recommend getting rid of the warmogs then.

Jungling --> Level Q then W then E.

Rengar's heal and armor are his lifesavers in lane. I see a lot of people who think maxing E or Q first is smart. Considering how squishy he is now (compared to before), he can be damaged a lot easier. Maxing his W and then his Q ensures survivability and lets you stay in lane a lot longer and take your enemy down safer.
I was considering those boots. When you jungle how far do you go up the machete line? I usually just get madreds and sell it later. Also what runes and masteries?

Support Supports

03-10-2013

I guess there are no rengar masters out there.

vortical42

03-11-2013

I can't say I'm a master, but I do play Rengar quite a bit. For his abilities, I actually level Q last. You need 1 point in it early for the jungle clear, but after that there is really no point maxing it until you have enough AD to make good use of it. My usually route is Q, W, E, then max W or E depending on whether you plan to gank or farm more.

For items, I start machette +5. If you plan on ganking early, build the machte into wriggles. If you plan on farming more, rush an early avarice blade instead. Then work on getting phage and a set of boots. I like ninja tabi but boots of mobility are also good. Turn phage into a Frozen Mallet then work on building the avarice blade (build if you dont have it) into something depending on your needs. Shiv lets you push lanes and backdoor, Ghostblade gives you more killing power, Atmas helps you survive in teamfights. Don't even bother with the necklace unless you are already ahead a few kills. Most games, you won't have enough gold to get beyond this point, but if you do, you can start working on tanky items like Randuins, or go full on offense with BT or BoTRK.

Support Supports

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortical42 View Post
I can't say I'm a master, but I do play Rengar quite a bit. For his abilities, I actually level Q last. You need 1 point in it early for the jungle clear, but after that there is really no point maxing it until you have enough AD to make good use of it. My usually route is Q, W, E, then max W or E depending on whether you plan to gank or farm more.

For items, I start machette +5. If you plan on ganking early, build the machte into wriggles. If you plan on farming more, rush an early avarice blade instead. Then work on getting phage and a set of boots. I like ninja tabi but boots of mobility are also good. Turn phage into a Frozen Mallet then work on building the avarice blade (build if you dont have it) into something depending on your needs. Shiv lets you push lanes and backdoor, Ghostblade gives you more killing power, Atmas helps you survive in teamfights. Don't even bother with the necklace unless you are already ahead a few kills. Most games, you won't have enough gold to get beyond this point, but if you do, you can start working on tanky items like Randuins, or go full on offense with BT or BoTRK.
Hows your ganking ability with leveling W first? Also whats your final build look like and runes and masteries?

vortical42

03-12-2013

If you are ranking W first, you are trading damage for durability. You are not going to be jumping out of the brush and blowing people up. The advantage is that you aren't going to melt just because the enemy adc looks at you funny. If you want to be more agressive early, then max E first for the slow/root.

As for builds, it really varries depending on what your team needs and whether you get an early lead. Frozen Mallet is your 1st core item. #2 would be one of the avarice blade builds (Shiv, Ghost Blade, or Atmas) based on your needs. #3 is Wriggles, which you would eventually sell and replace with BloodThirster. Thats 3 offensive items, a finished set of boots, and 1 defensive item (I reccomend Raduins' but again it depends on what the enemy team looks like) for a total of 5 slots. You are almost never going to have enough gold to fully complete this build, but if by some chance you do, finish out with either a Cleaver or BoTRK.

For masteries, I've found the typical 21/9/0 to be the most effective. For runes, I'm still testing. For now I'd probably go with flat AD reds, flat armor yellows, MR/lv or cooldown blues, and MS quints.