Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which faction do you think you'd choose?

Bandle City 34 6.39%
Bilgewater 22 4.14%
Demacia 69 12.97%
Freljord 33 6.2%
Ionia 93 17.48%
Noxus 53 9.96%
Piltover 44 8.27%
The Shadow Isles 55 10.34%
Shurima Desert 9 1.69%
Zaun 41 7.71%
Chaos 31 5.83%
Order 14 2.63%
Free Agents 34 6.39%
Voters 532 .

(POLL) Choose a faction

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

03-09-2013

SIGNUP NOW OPEN!
Declare your faction here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NfxJbTih-ASfW7cE63PFfeONbN7A79m6tXlg4h6jVn4/viewform

We've launched with Demacia, Ionia, Noxus, and Piltover, the four winners (at the time) from this poll!
MAIN THREAD (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3215351)

I'm starting with just four, based on how this poll went: Demacia, Ionia, Noxus, and Piltover. I want to bring more factions in, but to start with, I want to make sure we don't have players so spread apart that it's impossible to organize games.

Summoner List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar7CfqUIXzDhdEZiVHE2b0tUcHFEZ0JFNFVqeGlsNnc#gid=4
I think faction-based matches would be an awesome addition to League of Legends. But that's for another, longer post that I won't have time to write until tonight or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I wanted to tide myself over — and get some useful data — by asking about factions.

WHAT WOULD I BE CHOOSING A FACTION FOR?
The idea would be to give people icons or whatever, and also have a new queue mode that matches you up with teammates from your own faction and pits you against a team from another faction. Champion choices would be limited by faction rosters. Matches would contribute to deciding ongoing battles between factions, like feuds over territory or the name of a new item. Every now and then, Summoners would be given an opportunity to switch to a new faction.

TEST GAMES: I will see about setting up a fan-run Faction Matches system (use custom games, record stats/affiliations in Google, etc.) ... if you'd like to help run this, or if you're just interested in participating, friend me and let me know.

Quote:
CupcakeTrap:
I have to finish up one more non-LoL task and then I will see about creating a new thread to launch this!

My current plan is to open with maybe ... 3-4 factions. Based on the poll data, I think I'll start with:
  • Demacia
  • Ionia
  • Noxus
  • Piltover

Waiting in the wings are factions including The Shadow Isles and Zaun. ... but there's still time for your votes to bump them up!

WHAT WOULD THE FACTIONS BE?
Here are some quick ideas. Sample champion lists are provided. Italicized champions are tentative and would likely be the first targets for reassignment if balance so required.

Each Faction needs at least 5 champions, but preferably more like 10.
To sign up for a Faction, you would need at least 5 of their champions, to ensure you have someone to play no matter how teammates pick. (I feel there shouldn't be any bans in this mode.)
Here, I've limited each champion to one faction (if you see a champ listed twice, tell me; it's an error) ... but I could imagine an alternative where it's "whoever grabs this champ first". That might be a pain to code for Riot, though I could try it in the custom games I'm planning on organizing to test this out.
  • Bandle City (Lulu, Poppy, Rumble, Teemo, Tristana, Ziggs) (6)
  • Bilgewater (Fizz, Gangplank, Graves, Miss Fortune, Nami, Nautilus) (6)
  • Demacia (Fiora, Galio, Garen, Jarvan IV, Lux, Quinn and Valor, Shyvana, Sona, Vayne, Xin Zhao) (10)
  • Freljord (Anivia, Ashe, Lissandra, Nunu, OIaf, Sejuani, Tryndamere, Volibear) (8)
  • Ionia (Ahri, Akali, Irelia, Karma, Kennen, Lee Sin, Master Yi, Shen, Udyr, Varus, Wukong, Zed) (12)
  • Noxus (Annie, Cassiopeia, Darius, Draven, Katarina, LeBlanc, Sion, Swain, Talon, Urgot, Vladimir) (11)
  • Piltover (Caitlyn, Corki, Ezreal, Heimerdinger, Jayce, Orianna, Vi) (7)
  • The Shadow Isles (Elise, Evelynn, Hecarim, Karthus, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Nocturne, Thresh, Yorick) (9)
  • Shurima Desert (Amumu, Nasus, Rammus, Xerath, Zilean) (5) (probably not viable without more champs)
  • Zaun (Blitzcrank, Dr. Mundo, Janna, Renekton, Singed, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Viktor, Warwick, ZAC) (10)
  • Chaos (Brand, Cho'gath, Fiddlesticks, Kha'zix, Kog'maw, Malzahar, Morgana, Shaco, Syndra, Veigar, Zyra) (11)
  • Order (Alistar, Diana, Kassadin, Kayle, Leona, Malphite, Riven, Skarner, Soraka, Taric) (10)
  • Free Agents (Jax, Gragas, Nidalee, Pantheon, Rengar, Ryze, Sivir, Trundle) (8)

Chaos is for Void types as well as others who don't fit into another faction easily. (I'd love to have a dedicated Void faction, but there aren't quite enough champs, given that Kassadin is all "must stop the Void". On the other hand, the Chaos faction is arguably just an expanded Void faction as-is ... Fiddlesticks and Nocturne
Order is similar, but for "lawful" or "good" types.
Free Agents is for assorted mercenaries and others who can't even be placed in Chaos or Order.
For thematic purposes, we can assume that Order and Chaos are fighting for their causes, which are more general than national interests, and that Free Agents are out to win personal glory or to represent non-national interests like those of merchants.

The Void: I'd love to have a pure Void faction, but if you take out Kassadin, you only have 4 champs by my count, and that's just not enough. For Kassadin, see:
Quote:
Though a part of him died that day, he knows that he must protect Valoran from the things scratching at the door, waiting to get in and visit their torments upon the world. They are only one step away... something to which the appearance of the abomination known as Cho'Gath attests.

NOTE: I'm not really a Lore expert or anything. I've already received some helpful feedback from others. Please feel encouraged to suggest changes! One caveat: I'm trying to keep factions at healthy numbers (neither too many nor too few), which colors my assignment choices.

REDDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/19zsl3/choose_your_faction/
I think it's honestly a better commenting system.

KnightxSScarlett

03-09-2013

DEMACIA FOR LIFE! Garen OP!

CaNzCo

03-09-2013

What about the Void?

The Cookie

03-09-2013

True will cannot be defeated

Waldo226

03-09-2013

Piltover for lyfe. I love Caitlyn, Jayce, and Vi. They are easily my favorite three champions.

AbyssPanda

03-09-2013

Zaun, cuz of tf and Twitch

DreamsOfGrandeur

03-09-2013

There's only one faction. It's called "The League of Legends".

Otherwise, having Urgot and Garen on the same team would be impossible.

Bob the Hobo

03-09-2013

Viktors from Zaun, plz fix!

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

03-09-2013

Quote:
CaNzCo:
What about the Void?

Chaos.

There aren't quite enough Void champs to make their own faction, IMO ... the "pure" Void types number only 4. (Kassadin's whole thing is "fight to stop the Void", so ... then again, we COULD ask for a storyline change where he finally succumbs to the corruption of the Void or whatever.)

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
There's only one faction. It's called "The League of Legends".

Otherwise, having Urgot and Garen on the same team would be impossible.

Actually, already in the OP ... yes, it's true, but the idea here is:

(1) Maybe sometimes the fights between Factions get really intense and Champions insist on fighting for their own Faction.

(2) Handwave handwave it's fun.

Quote:
Bob the Hobo:
Viktors from Zaun, plz fix!

Good catch! Fixed.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

03-09-2013

Any other suggestions for changes?

For example, Lifthrasil on Reddit brings up the Yordle Question.

I'm thinking about transferring Poppy to Bandle City, to help their numbers.

My current feeling on Corki and Heimerdinger is to leave them in Piltover, because they have a significant "tech" feel to them that seems really Piltover, and Piltover needs the champs.