[Guide] - The New Ryze, A Low AP Build

12345678 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Barbedwire

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post

In what universe are you getting +1300 Ability Power on Ryze? Additionally, I wouldn't call Ryze's spells "weak" even when you get a cooldown reduc build. Low cooldowns allow you to:

I didn't said anyone can get 1300 AP but overload and spellflux can dish that kind of dmg if you have a high AP build.

And the unload-your-nukes-then-run-for-your-life mentality also applies to this build; Frozen heart and banshees won't give you that much survivability for you to actually stand casting in team fights.
Well maybe against nub teams that prefer to attack Dr Mundo or something.

Meta

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwire View Post

I didn't said anyone can get 1300 AP but overload and spellflux can dish that kind of dmg if you have a high AP build.

And the unload-your-nukes-then-run-for-your-life mentality also applies to this build; Frozen heart and banshees won't give you that much survivability for you to actually stand casting in team fights.
Well maybe against nub teams that prefer to attack Dr Mundo or something.
I guess I misread your statement then. My mistake.

Typically, I take Merc Treads and Ghost as well. The HUGE thing to learn about Ryze is positioning. Constantly be aware of where all the members of the other team are, where every member of your team is, and keep yourself on the other side.

Often I will be the target of focus fire, if there's not another squishier DPS around. Often, I hope they do. I'll launch my initial Ult->Flux->Overload which usually puts a whole load of hurt on their team right off the bat. Then I'll Prison their carry. At this point they've either decided to turn on me or haven't, but assuming my team is an even match it's usually lose/lose for them. If they ignore me then I'll just AOE their team into oblivion.

If they choose to chase me I can still get away about 90% of the time. Banshee Veil + Merc Treads is usually enough to keep an initial stun/burst from taking me down. I'll pop ghost and begin kiting. Oftentimes they'll give up pursuit and target-switch, and that allows me to come right back and start nuking again.

If they do pursue, that's when the real fun begins. I can cycle nukes and roots on my chasers, usually keep the necessary distance to avoid being killed, and make my escape. Oftentimes one or two people will continue to chase me, and more often than not I can turn this around and take them down. Ryze's Kiting/Nuking skills with Ghost is just absurd.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-08-2009

Quote:
I do hope the OP know that every single AP item (except Rylais) also have +mana.
You want to get AP? You will also get mana... You don't have to "specc" mana or "itemize" for it.
Yes, certainly I am aware of this. And yes, this is just one build option you can certainly still construct Ryze as a glass cannon nuker. But the major ideas behind this build are,

1. His AP ratios got nerfed.
2. He gets focused like an 8-year-old at a NAMBLA convention, and most AP items don't provide survivability.
3. His passive + mana pool + CD reduction allow for an optimized DPS combination between recasts and spike damage.

Quote:
And for the record he is still a nuker...and not some utility support hero. "AP build" with +300 - 1300 dmg fulfills this roles alot better than casting a bunch of weak spells every few seconds more often.
If that type of build works for you, by all means, there's more than one way he can be played well and this build does function very differently from old Ryze.

To say that it's a lot better, I don't know. Sure this build can't nuke for 1300, but if it can nuke twice in the same period of time for 700, that's more damage overall, plus faster Cage recasts for chases and lockdowns and 3k+ hp and 150+ armor and MR on top of that, I think it works out pretty well.

Arghanos

12-08-2009

Cooldown reduction is the way to go with the new Ryze.

The build here allows for continual damage output (cooldowns do not exist when you keep casting his spells)

3-3.5k Healht, 100-150 armor/MR
Frozen heart attack speed reduction/banshee's/mercury's

And your stun will be up when you need it due to CR/CRpassive

I will straight out say this is the ideal way to play Ryze with his current implementation. I will agree small tweaks can be argued over a few of the non-core items, the runes, masteries, summoner spells---- but Cooldown reduction is what gives this Ryze his damage base (and continual stun). Compound that with many cooldown/mana items tend to add survivability (frozen heart, banshee's) finally give us a Ryze that can pop an initial quasi AoE nuke, but CONTINUE to cast every one of his spells for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or more round as he takes much longer to take down (assume you aren't working with a team/tank).

As I stated much earlier, great build--- It can work for anyone who gives it time for the learning curve this new Ryze takes.

Meta

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghanos View Post
As I stated much earlier, great build--- It can work for anyone who gives it time for the learning curve this new Ryze takes.
QFT. The new Ryze does seem to have a pretty high margin of skill, mostly related to positioning. The key with him is to always start the fight on his terms. If you get caught off-guard, it's almost certain death. He's also very dependent on the rest of his team to unleash his full potential. If you can get your team to initiate a fight, draw the fire away from you, and protect you if needed, you can pretty much just AOE the entire other team into the ground.

Barbedwire

12-09-2009

Why isn't RoA in the build? It's absurdly cost-efficient, giving huge amounts of HP, mana and AP. I would personally grab it before frozen heart and archangels.

GNOY

12-09-2009

This is very good guide. The drawback for me that by the time I get RoA/Archangel game usually ends :\ . Frozen Heart is totally awesome for new Ryze. 10% from max mana is surprisingly good.

Meta

12-09-2009

Quote:
Why isn't RoA in the build? It's absurdly cost-efficient, giving huge amounts of HP, mana and AP. I would personally grab it before frozen heart and archangels.
Depending on how the game is going, I could see maybe using the Catalyst to build a RoA instead of the Banshee Veil. However, if you're having any trouble with survivability then that's probably not a good idea.

The main reason for skipping RoA is that there's a lot of other stuff that you REALLY want early-mid game, and RoA isn't cost effective as a late-game item.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

12-09-2009

My thinking there would be that Veil will provide more value early and mid game than the rod where the 70 (60?) MR and ability shield every 30 seconds will do more than 50 AP.

Late game, 300 mana and 80 AP adds about 66 damage to overload and 26 damage to everything else, so it's not massive and it would also cut your MR in half, whereas shield late game is still important.

It is a fair point though, if you're not worried about magic/casters or you do want a bit more damage, you could exchange the Veil for a RoA.

I put that as a small addition to the items section.

Dusty Kid

12-09-2009

Great Guide!

Just wanted to report that im unable to find void staff in the item list in the site's game database..

12345678 ... 14