Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What species is Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mdhe

03-09-2013

So Jax has been one of my favourite champions for a long time, and ever since I got him I've wondered: just what is the Grandmaster at Arms underneath that mask? However, it was only recently that I developed a working theory. My theory is this: Jax is a troll.

I reached this conclusion by comparing him to another favourite champion of mine: Trundle, obviously. The most obvious similarities are in appearance; of the few details we can discern about Jax's physiology, we know he has two thick fingers and a thumb on each hand; Trundle has an identical digit structure. Further, we can see from Trundle that trolls on Runeterra have coarse hair that stands straight up. Jax's default skin--and several others--feature a coarse braid extending from the top of his hood. What if this braid is not merely ornamentation, but a way of managing his hair, which cannot fit under his hood?

The similarities don't end at physical appearance though; evidence of Jax's trolldom also exists in the champions respective stats and kits. Jax and Trundle have identical base speed, though this is not particularly remarkable amongst melee champions. Slightly more of note is their elevated base Health Regeneration, a troll trait to be sure. Trundle's base health regen is 8, while Jax's is 7.45; compare this to the base 7 shared by Xin Zhao and Tryndamere--human champions who fulfill similar roles. Both champions fight using blunt improvised weaponry, have autoattack resets, and have a means of increasing their resilience in mid-battle. While Jax has obviously had much more advanced combat training than Trundle, these similarities in style may be carry-overs from some underlying troll martial tradition.

Now, there are counterpoints to this theory, and I'll address a few that I can think of here. Astute observers will note that Jax has only two toes on his feet, while Trundle has three. However, two of Trundle's toes are short and stubby, and take up roughly the same amount of space as his larger toe. As we know Trundle is something of a mutant--and is constantly regenerating his extremities, as they tend to fall off--his extra toe may not be typical of his race. This would also explain his colouration differences between the two; Trundle's skin being dull grey while Jax's is purple. The skin tone might also be a simple tribal difference, as Jax is obviously not a Ruhgosk.

Naysayers might also bring up that Jax's lore states he was a simple mercenary before joining the Leageu, making no mention of tribal affiliation. To this I say: what, trolls can't have jobs now? You racist.

So, thoughts? Counterpoints? What do you think Jax is? Do you think the true identity of the troll behind the mask will ever be revealed?

Trolosaurus

03-09-2013

species unknown

Spartan Buddhist

03-09-2013

Quote:
Mdhe:
So Jax has been one of my favourite champions for a long time, and ever since I got him I've wondered: just what is the Grandmaster at Arms underneath that mask? However, it was only recently that I developed a working theory. My theory is this: Jax is a troll.

I reached this conclusion by comparing him to another favourite champion of mine: Trundle, obviously. The most obvious similarities are in appearance; of the few details we can discern about Jax's physiology, we know he has two thick fingers and a thumb on each hand; Trundle has an identical digit structure. Further, we can see from Trundle that trolls on Runeterra have coarse hair that stands straight up. Jax's default skin--and several others--feature a coarse braid extending from the top of his hood. What if this braid is not merely ornamentation, but a way of managing his hair, which cannot fit under his hood?

The similarities don't end at physical appearance though; evidence of Jax's trolldom also exists in the champions respective stats and kits. Jax and Trundle have identical base speed, though this is not particularly remarkable amongst melee champions. Slightly more of note is their elevated base Health Regeneration, a troll trait to be sure. Trundle's base health regen is 8, while Jax's is 7.45; compare this to the base 7 shared by Xin Zhao and Tryndamere--human champions who fulfill similar roles. Both champions fight using blunt improvised weaponry, have autoattack resets, and have a means of increasing their resilience in mid-battle. While Jax has obviously had much more advanced combat training than Trundle, these similarities in style may be carry-overs from some underlying troll martial tradition.

Now, there are counterpoints to this theory, and I'll address a few that I can think of here. Astute observers will note that Jax has only two toes on his feet, while Trundle has three. However, two of Trundle's toes are short and stubby, and take up roughly the same amount of space as his larger toe. As we know Trundle is something of a mutant--and is constantly regenerating his extremities, as they tend to fall off--his extra toe may not be typical of his race. This would also explain his colouration differences between the two; Trundle's skin being dull grey while Jax's is purple. The skin tone might also be a simple tribal difference, as Jax is obviously not a Ruhgosk.

Naysayers might also bring up that Jax's lore states he was a simple mercenary before joining the Leageu, making no mention of tribal affiliation. To this I say: what, trolls can't have jobs now? You racist.

So, thoughts? Counterpoints? What do you think Jax is? Do you think the true identity of the troll behind the mask will ever be revealed?

Some think that Jax may actually be the old High Summoner, Reginald Ashram. In his lore, it is said that Jax recieved no judgement, and that Reginald dissappeared just before Jax joined the League. This indicates that the system was possibly manipulated by Reginald so he could participate in the League system that he played a large part in creating. Jax's lack of human features may be a result of magical manipulation, after all, who says a very powerful summoner can't change their own anatomy to a degree? His fighting prowess wouldn't be hard to explain either, after all, summoners are powerful combatants, and 'summoner knights' have existed before (Some evil ones destroyed Urtistan, Zilean's home city).

However, that is only one possibility, and Jax may indeed be a troll. But there are pictures of average Rughosk trolls in the Journal of Justice, and all of them look like non-rotting Trundles. This shows us that Trundle is not anatomically different aside from his astounding regen capacity. If Jax is a troll, he may be another species of troll, or perhaps something else entirely (although whatever that is may be as related to trolls as humans are to other apes).

In conclusion, species is still unknown.

MugenNightmare

03-09-2013

For his hands, would you agree it's just his hand taped over to make 3 digits out of 5 for better grip, or does he just have 3 digits?

HonorableGeneral

03-10-2013

Quote:
MugenNightmare:
For his hands, would you agree it's just his hand taped over to make 3 digits out of 5 for better grip, or does he just have 3 digits?

According to the Ask Jax thread on the RP forums (not canon) Jax is indeed a human but he wears purple three-fingered gloves and ninja tabis so that he can intimidate his opponents by looking inhuman and thus more dangerous. But that's an Ask thread, so I wouldn't consider it canon.

Canon-wise, we don't know much about Jax. Part of his allure is the mystery surrounding his origins, his judgement (he had none), and his reasons to fight. Since his skins aren't canon, we can't know for sure whether he really has three fingers (Jaximus) or whether he's merely wearing colorful gloves (original skin, Pax Jax, Angler Jax). Whether he has two-toed feet is also up for debate, since all his skins have him wearing shoes (except for Jaximus, but again we don't consider skins to be canon unless told so by Riot).

GusterMcGusgus

03-10-2013

Ninja turtle

ToFuShi

03-10-2013

Surprise! Im black.

PsychoPowerJ

03-11-2013

One of the reds said that he is a troll. You can probably find it if you search. Didn't say what specific kind of troll though. It's hard to tell since he's all covered up.

Borkcire

03-11-2013

There's a theory floating around that he is the original Baron Nashor.

The monster on the rift is just a replica made by the Summoners, and Jax has a few similarities with him. Like his 6, teal eyes, color scheme, etc.

Carnality

03-13-2013

It's Ezreal underneath.