Cho'Gath and Trynd

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

opcow

03-08-2013

Hello, I'm trying to broaden my champion horizons beyond kayle and xin by learning new characters, and I'm starting with Cho'Gath and Tryndamere. I'm having a bit of trouble tho.

With Tryn, I'm just not getting the damage that I think I should be. Lots of assists, and few kills (I've got no problem with assists, I just see most Trynds with more kills than assists so I think I'm doing it wrong). I'm starting Longsword, Cloth and pots, and building for BotRK right away, with an early vampiric scepter. If I'm having a good game I go for phantom dancer or sanguine blade. If it's a bad game I'm building Randuins after BotRK. Skills; I do a point in w,e, then prioritize r>q>e>w

I've only done one game with cho so far and Im frankly at a loss.
I think I should build for rod of ages, wooglets, then something like blackfire torch.
Skills, I think the best bet would be to max the silence first, then rupture, with one point in the spikes for farming.

I've been using flash and exhaust as my summoner spells for both.
Does anyone have any tips for these guys? Thanks!

justKKKidding

03-08-2013

I'm only Silver III but I love TT and play with my buddy a lot. Also, i have a good deal of experience with Cho'Gath and personally feel like I play him well.

He can be tough to master, mainly because you have to master his Q. I max Q first, and spam it whenever I can hit champs and minions at the same time.

I grab a doran's ring right off the bat to increase his sustain, then go straight for sorcerer's shoes, giants belt-> rylai's, and finally blackfire torch. Both are crucial because his AA+spikes do magic dmg.

I keep w at a low level and max Q and E first. This is because his Q stays at 90 mana at max level but W scales up and causes mana starvation if you max it first. also, with the magic penetration from sorc shoes and BFT your spikes do serious dmg at max lvl.

Very important to stack up, rather than saving your ult for champion kills. A Cho'Gath with 6 stacks is OP.

Finally, on a separate note, as far as Tryndamere is concerned you want to build AD, then lifesteal, then Crit. BoRK is a bad choice imo (esp rushing this) because it doesn't play to his strengths and it has been nerfed HARD in the most recent hotfix.

opcow

03-08-2013

awesome, thanks for the in depth feedback. Very insightful.

Angela Anderson

03-08-2013

Definitely don't max Q on Cho. Your W is your guaranteed damage, scales just as well in damage with levels, and allows you to more safely hit Qs. Early, a Cho with Q on CD is asking to be dove/ganked. Hitting a Q can be a good engage or disengage, but fishing for lane harass with it will not end well against a good team. Especially if you max Q, against a good team, a missed Q is a lost teamfight. Hitting hard with an early silence (in lane or in a teamfight) not only deprives them of any number of juke skills but guarantees your frontload of damage will hit. On the above point with mana scaling, yes W scales in mana cost, but you have the best sustain passive in the game. You aren't Ryze; use spells when they're optimal.

Tryndamere: W is more than a slow. The damage reduction is a trade winner, so don't be afraid to use it early, sacrificing the slow, if you see a drawn out auto attack trade. I go for a Sanguine Blade early; the only downside to this is farming up 1550 gold in one back. If the enemy has a traditional AP or AD carry, your job on Tryn is absolutely to dive this target. Otherwise, with standard bruiser comps, build resistances according to their damage with items like Randuins for armor heavy teams or an early Hexdrinker for magic damage heavy teams.

Sam

03-08-2013

Should try AP trynd... So broken...

Boo

03-08-2013

for tryn:
i'd just build lantern > greaves > phantom dancer. pd gives tryn everything he needs. you should be maxing q > w > r > e. only put 1 point in ult until you are required to level it further. earlier levels on w is pretty op on tryn. don't buy tank items like randuin's on tryn... you're an ad carry, your job is to blow people up. you reduce their attack damage anyways so why would you even need armor. i personally don't go flash because he never has problems getting in or out of fights and if he really needs to get to a target, he has a huge aoe nunu slow to catch.

for cho:
nothing really wrong with your build. i find that early blue pots are pretty op on cho though, you can just keep spamming ruptures and silences & get ult stacks faster because of the CDR and insane mana regen it gives him.

justKKKidding

03-08-2013

yeah I know full well the guide would say to max w, but if you CAN hit the q you interrupt, slow, and do a ton of damage.... also spamming moves is what makes Cho fun for me lol

opcow

03-08-2013

thanks guys.

How do you go about balancing Trynd's need for a lot of farm with participating in team fights? Any tips on when it's a good idea to go back and push out a lane, or when to let the others do their thing?

Demacry

03-09-2013

You should be able to soak up all the farm easily between fights. Trynd is one of those champs that can feed early but solo entire teams when he gets his items; so typically, unless I smell easy kills, I favor farming over everything else. Like boo said you just need ber grev, grez's, and pd; about the time you pick up ber grev, scepter, and zeal you become a pretty big threat to a good number of solo champs.

Boo

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by opcow View Post
thanks guys.

How do you go about balancing Trynd's need for a lot of farm with participating in team fights? Any tips on when it's a good idea to go back and push out a lane, or when to let the others do their thing?
tryn doesn't really need a lot of farm to be effective because of free crit. i just push lane and take their jungle, if they find me taking their wolves or golems then i just spin away. never be afraid of team fighting, just be smart and gauge how much damage you can take