How to play Kayle at a high level?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GodPraysToMe

11-02-2010

hey guys, i just started playing her and she seems ok, but i'm not sure how to play her at the high level.

i noticed her passive gives ability power to attack so i've tried going rod of ages for survivability and AP, then nashors tooth for AP and attack speed and the cooldowns.

what's the best way to build her? are you supposed to go all out on AP and cool down reduction?

i just tried soloing mid with her and i focus on getting the ranged ability and then the heal. is this the right way to go about it? i get a level 1 slow for the 25% slow and only max it out later. with sona on the team, should i forget about the heal and only use it while i'm laning?

how do things work in team fights?

thanks guys, i tried finding a good guide, but haven't seen any.

Minrog

11-02-2010

She was played by China once in the WCG 2010 World tournament round robin preliminary.

Here is a link to that match on own3d.tv:

http://www.own3d.tv/video/33763/WCG_...vs._China_Hero

That's all I got, but the Kayle in that game pretty much iced the EU guys. They banned Kayle in later matches against China.

Eddy01741

11-02-2010

Kayle is still a good champ, just doesn't fit into meta as well as she used to since heal/poke has been ousted in favor of tanky dps+AOE. That said, ever since WCG heal/poke has been more recognized due to the first NA vs EU finals game where EU dominated by avoiding teamfights and rediculous map presence with both TF and Shen (TF was banned the next two games, letting US win).

Her core build is basically boots+rageblade, some consider nashor's core for the cooldown reduction, but you can decide whether or not you want it. After those 2/3 core items, I'd go for DPS (infinity edge+more dps items) or for pure AP (Zhonyas->AP items). You can continue going hybrid if you want, but I feel like with something like hextech gunblade you have drastically reduced AP compared to Zhonya's, yet your DPS is only slightly higher with righteous fury since AP is factored into both attack damage and righteous fury damage (for a total of .45 damage per AP when using righteous fury!).

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2010

I've also been playing her alot lately, ive found this guide to suit my playstyle the best: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-kayle-guide

I got it from the complete guides sticky: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68225

Rageblade + Nashors is when Kayle really shines, shes got some great early game burst aswell, try grab a few kills early to transition into mid-late game or just farm if its not possible and support your lane partner.

some games as Kayle your going to have to go a more damage offensive route and sometimes you might have to focus on support.

Roros

11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minrog View Post
She was played by China once in the WCG 2010 World tournament round robin preliminary.

Here is a link to that match on own3d.tv:

http://www.own3d.tv/video/33763/WCG_...vs._China_Hero

That's all I got, but the Kayle in that game pretty much iced the EU guys. They banned Kayle in later matches against China.
Heh pretty interesting. I find that a lot of the things he did in that match is stuff that I try to avoid in solo queues since people will rage at it. Grabbing blue buff, not stopping to attack to let others get the kill, and pushing empty lanes (ie. not defending mid) is stuff that people tend to throw a fit over whenever I play Kayle.

In this match our fiddle ragequit because I was killstealing.

Gunflame

11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roros View Post
Heh pretty interesting. I find that a lot of the things he did in that match is stuff that I try to avoid in solo queues since people will rage at it. Grabbing blue buff, not stopping to attack to let others get the kill, and pushing empty lanes (ie. not defending mid) is stuff that people tend to throw a fit over whenever I play Kayle.

In this match our fiddle ragequit because I was killstealing.
I say LET THEM RAGE... Kayle is one of the champions with the best scaling in the game. Of course I wouldn't take blue buff from an anivia or a veigar of if I already have 40% CDR. Kayle is one of those champions where the blue buff is excelent...

why?
- permanent ranged attack
- mana to spam heals
- mana to spam ultimate
- mana to spam slow.

Also while Kayle a extreme Hybrid (support/carry and AP/AD), everyone just focuses on Kayle's carry area because is extremely strong. Dont stop attacking to let others get the kill... you need the gold more than most people. just let them have an assist (of course doing a suicide attack just to kill someone when it was not necessary shouldn't be done.)

You are also extremely good at killing towers, if you already have rageblade you can push a lane... of course this is SITUATIONAL. All of these, you gotta measure what's best at that particula point and act accordingly

Nonconscious

11-02-2010

You can skip this and get to the build, but this is my experience with Kayle.
Kayle was one of the first champions I used when I started playing LoL, back in March or April or something, and she was my main champ for a good long while. She's certainly changed a lot since then- I used to go support, more of an ap build, and then I did more of a dps build... and then I did one of the top rated hybrid builds that's posted on Mobafire- a really expensive build. However, a lot of people complain about her early damage output and losing mana, and I've had the same problem... so for a while I stopped playing her and just felt that she was trash. I mean, with the popular meta game filled with lots of cc it's easy to get targeted and brought down quick.
So for a while I quit Kayle and played champs like Shen and Kassadin- Shen having the saving and survivability capabilities I liked about Kayle, and Kickassadin being the awesome nuke slayer Kayle could be late game.
However, about a week ago I had a few off games with these two, and then in a normal game I saw my sweet angel and just though, wtf, why not? For sentimental reasons.

It went pretty **** well.

I've experimented with so many different builds with her, and in these past few games I've found one that works really well for me.
Summoner spells I always take Cleanse and Clarity. Honestly, I would not be comfortable without Cleanse, and I though am really good at dodging skillshot ccs, it just... it makes you able to contend with higher tier champs and makes your ult actually useful to yourself as a viable getaway plan.

I take meki pendant and a health/mana pot and lane with a partner I think I'll do well with- usually a tank or beefy dps... oddly enough my favorites to lane with are other supports, which I've been criticized for, but sona or taric, with the double heal and the poking is great early game.
From Meki pendant, I go
-Tear and Boots> Manamune and Boots of Swiftness
This early in the game, tear will increase your mana and mana regen, so you'll have less problems with that, and the passive will increase your AD
I always get boots of swiftness. I know you have W for more movement speed, but I like Kayle really fast, and for heavy cc teams, Kayle being fast and smart and dodging/ being able to get to team fights and pop ulti/ push a lane and run away/ steal buffs is very important.

Immediately after that, I'll go for sheen
Around this point, if we don't have a jungler, i"ll start doing so. Sheen is awesome with Kayle, because you proc it so easily. You use reckoning, and you get damage increase from that, AND from the proc on sheen. You pop RF, and it gets proc again, you spam DB, and it procs, makes you fast, and heals you. If you jungle with it, it's really really fast exp/gold/buff. ALSO, added AP works with your passive and it's your first item for trinity blade.
Straight from sheen, we'll go to the expensive ass, (usually endgame buy,) Trinity Blade. If you jungle with sheen and fly all around the map pushing creep waves and running away or killing people, you get gold fast, and you can stay out of base for long periods of time with your increased mana, buffs, and versatility. I am able to get TB pretty early- go Zeal first, for crits, and even more speed, and then Phage. Trinity Blade is a jack of all trades item for a jack of all trades champ.
Lately games have ended for me at this point, which is too bad, because the next item puts the icing on the cake for Kayle's passive- Archangel's staff. It's the AP version of manamune, and with Kayle's passive it should be obvious why this works so well. Watch your stats when you add this... it's so funny.

So...

Summoner Spells:
Cleanse- So important for Kayle's viability, survivability
Clarity- Makes sense for Early game and build
(See more below)

Champion Skills:
I go Reckoning/Q first. It works well if you're laning with a dps, and if they have a squishy they'll probably die if you guys collide in bushes. It's a slow and makes you do more damage which is great for those lvl 1 fights.
After that, I get Divine Blessing/W, for helping your partner and yourself, and then Righteous Fury/E for splash farming/slapping people.
I level up Q to 3, get Ult, level up E to 3, and then balance with those two, doing Q first and then E, getting R when I can, and then adding W if it's needed for situations or if it's my only choice.

Masteries
I go 21/0/9, Offense: Crit chance, AP, CD Reduc, Spell Pen, Armor Pen, then down thru to Havoc. Utility: 1 in Good hands, full in Perseverance, getting Awareness for extra experience for when I go jungling, or if we get pushed back early cus team sucks, and then the Clarity buff.

Runes:
Hmm... You could go a number of ways. I don't think my rune build presently is the best for Kayle, but it's worked well enough. I go full Magic Penetration on Marks, flat AP seals, flat CD glyphs, flat AP quints. Why so much flat AP? I find that, with her passive, it really helps your early laning phase, both in your heal, and some burst for Q and E. Also, you really don't get much AP until Archangel's Staff, other than Sheen and then trinity blade. Some people go mana regen seals, but that's why I have Clarity and meki pendant. I like clarity. With the Tear build, it's not as useful late game, but with the mastery build you can support your team with it as well as spam abilities all game, which helps build mana in your Tear. Lately I've read people like Armor Penetration better than Magic Penetration, and with your first focus being AD, that might work better with this build, and just in general. Also, people go Flat Health with Quints... That is probably a good idea because, imo, Kayle is pretty squishy, actually. However, I like the added AP for more damage on Q, more heal on W, more damage on E, and with clarity you can spam and keep yourself alive. If this is really stupid, please let me know. Also, crit chance or damage in seals or something might be interesting, I'd like to hear what people think.

Core Item Build:
Manamune
Boots of Swiftness
Sheen->Trinity Blade
Archangel's Staff

Honestly, this is the core of my build. Now, if a lot of people are thinking, "WTF? No Rageblade?" ... that's usually the item i get next...
Well... sometimes. It really depends on the game. When I got Rageblade for Kayle as core item, I liked having it early game as opposed to a late game item.... I don't get rageblade early game anymore because I enjoy the mana bonuses with Tear items that allow you to spam and stay out of base. Instead, I might get a Youmuu's GB, which has lately been a popular fist item for Kayle. I've found that this item active with Kayle shreds turrets, well anything, to pieces.
Anyway, lately for my last items, with these huge cc teams and that op ***** sister Morgana ( ) I tend to get survivability items, or auras for team... very very situational, which makes playing Kayle so much fun- I mean, you could even go for lifesteal, like Starks, or something i've wanted to try is Phantom Dancer (SUPER SPEED+CRIT), but the game never gets that far (either because we own, or the rest of my team sucks, in which i'll go like 2/3/3 or something and never get far enough because the other team has such a huge advantage). MOST of the time I get Frozen Brain or Nashors. I actually like Frozen Brain more because of the added mana (passive of manamune and arch, remember) the added armor for survivability, the reduced attack speeds of enemy *******s, and the cd reduc. I've played some pretty skilled Karthuses (Karthusususes?) and Kickassadins lately, so sometimes I'll get some MR, usually Banshees, even though it's only 57, or Guardian Angel, which reduces the chances of me being targeted, and is totally cool because it's an item that describes your awesomeness... That's probably the biggest problem with Kayle- MR and CC vulnerability. For Nuke mages, you have your ult to save you. For CC, you have Cleanse. Cleanse is just so useful and necessary for those spells you don't dodge, or the slows. And if you have that with Banshee's you can pretty much always get away... I've been nuked by a whole team, banshee's allowed me to pop ult, and then cleanse allowed me to get rid of slows as they chased me, and w made me too fast to chase .

How to play:
Early game, I just try to last hit as much as I can. If I'm fighting beefs, I'll stay behind creeps coordinate with my partner, and even hug turret/switch lanes if I have to. If the beefs get overconfident, I'll do a burst of Q and E, push them back, and then fly away with W if needed. Overall, this is a great combination for Kayle, throughout the game. Like Kassadin, I play her as a hit and run a lot of the time. Your Q gives you more damage and slows them so they can't engage, and your E is an annoying slap slap from far away, "you can't get me haha." Keep your distance, usually, Guerilla Warfare ftw. Pop another Q and if you need, W away. E is also really helpful for farming. For teamfights it's so important to not get targeted, you provide dps that can at times be subtle until you **** a crit on their ass and then it's too late. Sometimes I'll buy GA or Banshees just so i won't get targeted. There have been many team fights where I'm the last one alive and sweep out the rest because they're so low health and I'm fast and I splash. Also for teamfights, it can be difficult, but you have to be able to multitask in that you nuke qs on their casters, dish out splash like a sunflare, ult whoever the enemy team focuses with nukes, heal whoever needs it, and avoid being targeted, or if you are, draw their carry from the fight and be faster than them. Good trynds are the hardest, because they have an ult of their own, a slow, a dash, and they just want to murder you because there's no going back.

My favorite people to hang out with? Rammus (or really, any tank, i just think kayle compliments rammus best) You can speed him up even more in his powerball, in helping him get away, or helping him hook that taunt with a speed slow combo. This similarly works well with Singed. Rammus's dps ult is well complimented by your ult, too. Amumu and Galio are also well supported by your ult. Olaf- his ulti with your ulti= ragnorak of greatest doom. Not to mention, your w speeds him, you both have slows to catch people, and when you swing flames from behind it looks like he's breathing fire . Sona- This should be obvious. Anyone who lanes with Sona should dominate. The double heal and double poking is unbearable for the foe. Zilean- again, obvious- early bombing harass with your poking and heal, not to mention both your ults making two targets ineffectual. You both have speed and slow, too. You both have subtle bursts, it's hard to explain, but you can imagine, bomb, and then reckoning, they try to get away while you rf them, they think they do, and then bomb splode!! Kassadin- You and Kassadin are the Guerilla Poke Fighting Team of Sneaky Badass Assassins. These two champs dominate tower diving and do jungle ambush synergy so well. Morgana- Sister Power. You both really compliment each other. Her spell shield and your ult make The Ultimate Jesus Shield. Twitch- Not to necessarily hang out with... when you hang out with a range carry, you want to protect them, and Kayle should not get targeted unless she planned it. Like in this case. Kayle is such good bait, and twitch is a good fisherman. Fly like a kite, ult yourself, and feed the rat. Garen, Sion, Xin, Udyr, especially WW(ult during his ult)- just cus.
Best teammates are skilled people... skilled people with high tier champs- even better. You're going to like hanging out with tanks. You're like a beefier, faster ashe, who can better support your tank and make sure he kills someone and then gets away with you. Stay behind him and be super fast and kite like a kite. I've done some ridiculous baiting and then ulting myself while my team storms in and I fly away.

Final comments:
I do not think Kayle is all too great of a champ, and while I'm not an "Elementz fanboy" or whatever, I do respect him as a player and his opinion of Kayle on his tier list is pretty accurate, especially with the gameplay of high elo players. I play her because I'm comfortable with her and utilize her well. And you know, it's not just Elementz, but other people I've played with get surprised when they see a Kayle player, much more so a good Kayle player. This is too bad, and I hope Riot makes some changes to make her more viable- she's like a main character of LoL, she's a ****ing otherworldy divine Angel of Justice. When I saw the trailer for season one, I flipped **** like a ninja taking a spastic dookie. Her helmet came off- she's the Samus of LoL. I love the concept of her, (and would love to see another angel champ,) but her brat sister in the hands of a skilled player totally outclasses her supposed rival sister. Some changes I think would be great to make are: Make RF a toggle ability like ashe ice arrows, or an active/passive capability. Her heal is okay I guess... I take advantage of it with my mobility build and it's helpful for proc on sheen and staying out of base. Reckoning's pretty good for single target nuking in conjunction with RF/sheen or last hitting a champ/upping your damage on jungle creeps. Most importantly however, I THINK KAYLE'S ULT IS IMPRACTICAL. It has it's uses, but they are hail marys more than anything practical. It's a mere blip of time, and it doesn't even stop cc, so you could pop it on someone or even yourself and still result in death, because the mass of cc, ANY slow ****s everything up. It's so easily countered in that way, which is why you need cleanse for yourself so you don't feed. Morganna's spell shield, a normal skill, is more useful, long lasting, and spammable. Kayle's ult is usually used as an escape for herself or a teammate, and a friend suggested that it should be more attuned in that regard- maybe a hitpoint shield with a heal over time and/or a cleanse type capability- and maybe the target can't deal damage for the duration of the shield being on.... I don't know... there's a few ideas out there, I think it's something that needs to be discussed. I'm... okay with it right now and am able to use it pretty well, it's a bit better than a zhonyas. I usually pop it in team fights on whoever gets targeted with enemy nukes and then that gives us the advantage... hmm. I would love to hear thoughts. This has been a really disorganized guide, (it's my first post,) but I love Kayle and felt like splooging my thoughts. I hope this contains some useful information for you.

Gunflame

11-03-2010

I find Manamune Kayle to be extremely lackbuster (I've tried it and it never worked for me). EIther way i respect your build... it is just that guinsoo is soo awesome I can't find a good reason to delay it. My first item is always Doran's ring unless I know I'll need Magic resist, then I get chalice instead of doran (meki)