AP/Tank amumu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cortah

03-07-2011

I like playing Amumu like this just thought i would share :D
Item build I use:
Regrowth + Potion of your choice ---------> Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone
Sorc' shoes
Rod Of Ages
Warmogs
Thornmail (before or after force of nature depending on needs)
Sell Philosopher's stone for Force of nature (ditto)
And then hat :D
Runes I got red magic pen.
Everything else Ap
Been having fun playing him like this
Give feed back and let me know if you have any suggestions of improvement

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

If your the only tank you wan't to build mainly tank, with little or no AP. I would say for AP/Tank get RoA, sorc shoes or merc treads (always an option), Abyssal scepter (magic resist, AP, and resist reduction), zhonyas (armor, AP, and active probably works with his W), Reylas IF it works whenever you damage them with tears (I heard before it was only when you activate it but I think this changed) and then build a tanky item or rabadon's for AP. These items are very effective and all have large benefits, obviously if their team is filled with AD or AP champs you can build something to stop them instead of an all around build like ime suggesting.

AoXoA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

If you plan on getting AP items, only get ones with hitpoints into them. Rylies is good for the slow. However a firecape is also a good item. Armor + damage. If you plan on tanking with him though, you will need tank items. And he does excel as a tank.

dyl

03-07-2011

A few issues I have with this:

a. Amumu's laning is very weak, now that they finally buffed his jungle after all of it's indirect nerfs I can't really see a reason to lane as Amumu anymore.
b. Philostones are pretty awesome items, but if you're playing Amumu I would much rather stack Heart of Golds which are actually amazing early on instead (or maybe one of each depending on if you can't get the blue buff once early)
c. Rod of Ages isn't BAD, and catalyst is a great choice for an "on the way" item for Amumu. However, as an initiator you want to be able to initiate properly without being completely unable to use your skills or getting bursted down after you run in - I would rather get a Banshee's Veil after catalyst for that reason.

Rest is just minor stuff that is dependent on my other issues (if you did stack HoG instead of philo, randuins would obviously be a better choice than thornmail, if not it doesn't really matter - you would probaly want different runes if you were jungling, but AP seems fine otherwise, etc.) As long is the build is fun (and not making you lose constantly) it's pretty cool. Might want to consider adding other tanky AP items though like Rylai's, Hourglass, and Abyssal.

meneroth2

03-07-2011

rush philosophers stone.
get ninja tabi or merc treads depending on the enemy
heart of gold
thornmail or force of nature
sunfire cloak
ranudins omen
deathfire grasp (i think thats the one with the aoe magic pen)

if going against magic the final build is:
ranudins omen
merc treads
force of nature
force of nature
sunfire cloak
deathfire grasp

This gives a TON of magic resist and the deathfire grasp has great synergy with dispair and sunfire cloak. dispair is your main damage weapon after all. bandage tossing with dispair followed by ult is chaotic

Against physical i go the same, cept i trade out the second force of nature for thornmail.

Try it sometime, this build is unreal. makes him invounerable and with me, who plays with alot of lag, you just gotta stay close to the enemy to slowly do tons of damage. plus dispair gives you TONS of assists, which always looks good.

Tenderballz

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoXoA View Post
If you plan on getting AP items, only get ones with hitpoints into them. Rylies is good for the slow. However a firecape is also a good item. Armor + damage. If you plan on tanking with him though, you will need tank items. And he does excel as a tank.

Agreed. AP items with hp is generally the way to go. Chalice does wonders for your tiny mana pool by giving u ridic mana regen.

Doran's shield
chalice
merc threads
sunfire
rylai's (AOE slow is ridonkulous)
DFG (AP, CDR and nuke)
Abysmal Scepter.