Consecration

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Disgruntler

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Contrast with Nami passive -- likely a lower power passive overall -- whose speed boost you and your allies can't help but notice.
Nami's Passive isn't that noticeable at all. 1.5 seconds of that small a speedboost isn't enough to get you out of melee range, and gains you less movement than the cast time of Ebb and Flow or Aqua Prison. I used to lead myself with Aqua Prison to get speed boosts but I found it just wasn't worth it... I ended up moving less.

Compare with Janna's boost which gives only half the bonus, but is always on while she's alive--that passive always sees play and you can do things with it. Nami's passive is a very bad example of a passive that has gameplay--it's one of the most disappointing parts of her kit. It promises to be good, but it's so little for so little time that in practice, you can't actually make plays with it.

Whyumai

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntler View Post
Nami's Passive isn't that noticeable at all. 1.5 seconds of that small a speedboost isn't enough to get you out of melee range, and gains you less movement than the cast time of Ebb and Flow or Aqua Prison. I used to lead myself with Aqua Prison to get speed boosts but I found it just wasn't worth it... I ended up moving less.

Compare with Janna's boost which gives only half the bonus, but is always on while she's alive--that passive always sees play and you can do things with it. Nami's passive is a very bad example of a passive that has gameplay--it's one of the most disappointing parts of her kit. It promises to be good, but it's so little for so little time that in practice, you can't actually make plays with it.
Janna's passive is percentage based. It's 3% bonus movement speed. Therefore 300 movement speed would give 9 bonus movement speed. 330 would give 9.9 (almost 10) movement speed. 350 would give about 10.5 movement speed. It's the fact that's it is pretty much always on that makes it great (except when Janna's dead). It's a really nice passive.

Nami's passive is a flat 30 movement speed for a duration so short and with an effect so ignorable that alot of players don't even realize it exists. Furthermore Nami has to use her mana and cooldowns to actually use it. It's not really something you use specifically just to boost someone else's speed.

HeyLPG

03-09-2013

Quote:
The range of Soraka's passive is 1000, not 500. As to specifics about the passive, it is potent and actually scales indirectly -- MR is % damage reduction and teams tend to group up more and more as the game progresses. 16 MR may not seem like a lot, but 16 MRx5 is probably stronger than a number of champion passive, especially when you consider how much random magic damage bruisers, tanks, and other supports (champs that build zero/low spell pen) tend to put out. There's a reason why Runic Bulwark is bar none the most powerful item in our game.

With that out of the way, the passive is lacking in gameplay. Even when playing as Soraka, I seldom appreciate it and definitely cannot feel the difference it makes in a team fight. Contrast with Nami passive -- likely a lower power passive overall -- whose speed boost you and your allies can't help but notice. Soraka players never get to feel cool or clutch, to display skill, for their passive in the way Sona does with her Powerchords or Blitzcrank does with Mana Barrier-enabled baits or dives. I'd rather we give Soraka a new, more engaging passive, rather than buffing the current version.
If you could bring this up in a meeting or something that would be really cool. Soraka could really use some love since you guys slaughtered her cooldowns and ratios a while back.

Qsario

03-09-2013

Quote:
With that out of the way, the passive is lacking in gameplay. Even when playing as Soraka, I seldom appreciate it and definitely cannot feel the difference it makes in a team fight. Contrast with Nami passive -- likely a lower power passive overall -- whose speed boost you and your allies can't help but notice.
You could just make it cause champions to sparkle (or whatever) when they're affected by her passive. Draw some kind of magical-ish barrier around people and at least they'll notice that they have it (rather than just the lame little buff icon).

Super Explosion

03-10-2013

Quote:
Contrast with Nami passive -- likely a lower power passive overall -- whose speed boost you and your allies can't help but notice.
Mister T, don't confuse graphics with effect.

If Nami's passive had no associated indicator graphic, it would most likely be significantly less noticed.

Likewise, if Soraka's passive placed a giant glowing misty purple sphere around everyone affected, her team would probably be thanking her for saving them from Veigar and the like quite a bit more often.

Edit: Gameplay usability is a reasonable function of visibility, if people knew how close they needed to be to Soraka to gain a bonus, that would much more affect the teamfight dynamic and positioning choices. It provides gameplay, but likewise may be difficult to see how it does so with the current graphic.

Perhaps compare to the notability and gameplay of actually buying a magic resist item. Or of the new passive on Garen W.

7thHeaven

03-15-2013

Quote:
The range of Soraka's passive is 1000, not 500. As to specifics about the passive, it is potent and actually scales indirectly -- MR is % damage reduction and teams tend to group up more and more as the game progresses. 16 MR may not seem like a lot, but 16 MRx5 is probably stronger than a number of champion passive, especially when you consider how much random magic damage bruisers, tanks, and other supports (champs that build zero/low spell pen) tend to put out. There's a reason why Runic Bulwark is bar none the most powerful item in our game.

With that out of the way, the passive is lacking in gameplay. Even when playing as Soraka, I seldom appreciate it and definitely cannot feel the difference it makes in a team fight. Contrast with Nami passive -- likely a lower power passive overall -- whose speed boost you and your allies can't help but notice. Soraka players never get to feel cool or clutch, to display skill, for their passive in the way Sona does with her Powerchords or Blitzcrank does with Mana Barrier-enabled baits or dives. I'd rather we give Soraka a new, more engaging passive, rather than buffing the current version.
I prefer 80 MR on 1 champion than 16MRx5