Halloween Skin: Wolfman Draven

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

Alright, back at my computer, and working on the concept sheet again

Typhos

03-09-2013

give him a tail

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhos View Post
give him a tail
I considered it briefly, but the skin is based on the classic Wolfman (or... well... Del Toro's Wolfman more specifically, but that is just a remake of the original so, yeah, the original.) so the tail didn't really suit what I was going for.

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

Sorry I'm making an edit again so quickly; it looks like the forums are stable (for me at least) again. Wanted to point a few things out about the concept sheet. The glowing axe is how the axe looks like with Spinning Axe active. For those of you that noticed I didn't add any red particles to the spinning axe image in the concept sheet, even though it has them in the spinning axe animation stillframe. The reason is simple: Draven's hands are what glow red and have those particles, but the axes themselves only glow silver (plus the glowing eyes in the skulls of course.)

Hope that clears up any potential questions. If anyone does end up asking (and doesn't see this post) I'll clarify in the op. But as of now everything seems to be updated.

Heizt

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookypatrol View Post
Was considering doing an interaction with WW of sorts, but haven't set on an idea yet. Was debating whether something should proc on the same team, on an enemy team, if one kills the other, or if one performs a certain emote. Trying to consider multiple possibilities. But yes, I'm open to suggestion, and I will keep that idea in mind. Just don't want it to be too much like Caitlyn and Vi's passive
fair enough, whatever the outcome, if this gets made you should get a job at Riot, i mean Gladiator Draven is practically Firedancer and that was awesome!

Zuphlas

03-09-2013

Rather see wolfman skin on a champion that will actually attack with claws and fangs. Why go to the trouble of lobbing blades at people as your primary attack when you've been given natural weapons - especially when that's the whole point of the werewolf form.
Draven could pull off the look, but the attacks would never look right. Just seems like a waste to make this skin for him with that in mind.

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuphlas View Post
Rather see wolfman skin on a champion that will actually attack with claws and fangs. Why go to the trouble of lobbing blades at people as your primary attack when you've been given natural weapons - especially when that's the whole point of the werewolf form.
Draven could pull off the look, but the attacks would never look right. Just seems like a waste to make this skin for him with that in mind.
To be fair, a good portion of the Halloween skins are for looks over mechanics. Of course the mechanics are tweaked to fit the looks, but I don't see Zombie Ryze or Brand attacking with their hands or, well, I don't have a mental list of all of the Halloween skins on me right now but my basic point is that for the most part the skins are more for looks than actual sensible mechanics.

Anyway, I made sure his axes were still relevant and didn't take away from the theme :x

I do understand where you're coming from, though, and it's a valid point, but, again, I created the skin because Draven fits the look, not necessarily because his mechanics fit the theme, if that makes sense. I honestly can't think of a champion (that attacks with their hands) that would pull the look off better. There's actually an extremely low number of champions who don't attack with weapons to begin with, and most of them are not human.

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

Owie, my pride hurts... all the downvotes today ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heizt View Post
fair enough, whatever the outcome, if this gets made you should get a job at Riot, i mean Gladiator Draven is practically Firedancer and that was awesome!
And hahah, as much as I'd love it, with the way things have gone so far I feel like it's going to be *really* rough to gain a consistent enough positive opinion of the skin to have it considered by Riot. It seems like the skin has to really grow on a lot of people, and most people aren't willing to give it that much of a chance... they see it superficially, think it's stupid, downvote, and move on... I mean, over 70 upvotes in 2 days is actually pretty decent, but it's still not the most stable of skin ideas, and unless I get a Red post, I feel like that instability is going to stick around for a while.

Edit: However! I really do appreciate the support regardless and I'm not giving up on the skin or anything, I've just kinda walked into this skin with pretty low expectations. So far I've been pleasantly surprised, and having low expectations doesn't mean I won't make sure the thread isn't top quality - don't worry!

TheDphat

03-09-2013

I support any and all Draven skins.

Spookypatrol

03-09-2013

*bows* my thanks.

Anyway that's all the updates for tonight - sorry! Hopefully tomorrow I can dish out another round of art, but no promises. I've been too productive the last couple days; I think it's about time I take a short break. :P