Halloween Skin: Wolfman Draven

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spookypatrol

03-07-2013

[(6/5/14): A new note has been added to Whirling Death upon popular suggestion! Additionally, all "broken Attachments" have been removed. Hopefully, attachments can be updated soon so that the art can be posted again. Meanwhile, every broken image is still described via text.]

Edit: Moved the "Newest Art/Upcoming Art" section to the bottom, to clean up the top part of the thread.

>>Please view the Q&A segment for more information about the inspiration and design for the skin<<

---------------------------------------------------
Updated Concept art Black & White

Name:  Wolfman_Draven_newconcept_GreyscaleFix.jpg
Views: 10598
Size:  501.6 KB

Concept Sheet

Name:  wolfman_draven_conceptsheetcropped_scaled.jpg
Views: 9140
Size:  286.5 KB

Animation Frames: Whirling Death

EDIT: After receiving multiple suggestions, Whirling Death will now launch two "spirit wolves" (think Hecarim's ult, but wolves rather than riders) trailing behind the axes, instead of plain silver trails.

Abilities:

*All of his particles are based on silver and moonlight.

[Edited] While Blood Rush is active he runs hunched over (for those of you that have played Skyrim as a werewolf, think their regular run animation. NOT their sprint, as they drop to all fours for that.) for the duration of the spell, or if he auto attacks, in which case he stands straight to throw his axe.
If he currently has any Spinning Axes active during Blood Rush he still runs hunched, but not as much as if he had neither up.

Jokes:

His standard Joke can be a typical "wolf-whistle."

Alternatively, a joke or taunt can be: "What a horrible night to have a curse... *laugh* Cursed to not be Draven." (Thank you, sirshiny, for the suggestion, and reference! <3)
Another joke: (Suggested by Rex Draconem!) "Please...I prefer Manbeast." *wolf whistle*

(Edit: I'm currently brainstorming new ideas for his recall. Please feel free to give suggestions!)

Death

For his death he reverts to "human" form before falling to the ground. He drops his axes, begins to revert with a look of panic, and then laughs nervously as he falls.
This is paired with a new respawn, where he transforms into wolf form.

Hidden passive/jokes:

Takes 1 extra damage from Vayne's Silver Bolts. (third proc only.)

Hidden Joke (Diana): When he is on the same team as or against a Diana, his joke emote gets changed into a flirtatious joke/pun, paired with a howl. (It would work the same way Vi gets a unique Taunt when there is a nearby Caitlyn.)

Hidden Joke (Ahri): When an Ahri is nearby, toggling his Joke emote makes him say the following line: "Canis lupus." *gestures to self* "Vulpes vulpes." *gestures to Ahri* He then lifts his arm up in a bro-fist.

(-This is a direct reference to one of the ending scenes in Fantastic Mr Fox. )

Hidden Joke (Lifesteal): Upon gaining over 25% lifesteal, Draven says the following line: "Looks like someone just got replaced." (Thanks, FreestyleKneepad! I have a feeling I'll have a small segment dedicated to just your one-liners by the time all's said and done...)

(The skin used to have more hidden passives, but I removed them after consideration of comments a couple of community members made. The recalled hidden passives are still available for viewing at the bottom of the page for now.)

Incomplete Ideas:

I don't want to change Draven's vocals, however having some minor changes during certain unique emotes might be appropriate, kind of how Hyena Warwick has unique vocals for his laugh and Blood Scent, although his voice is normal otherwise.

I had a Q&A segment on FDD and I feel that some people really got a lot out of it, so I'm adding one to this thread as well. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

So, why a "Wolfman" Draven?

For a very long time I've looked at Draven's design and been amused by his vaguely animalistic/wolfen appearance. (his peculiarly sharp canines, preposterous amount of hair, and general wolfish grin for starters.) I had been wanting to do some fanart of a werewolf Draven for a good long while, but was terrified that the community would disapprove. The Draven community is quite picky; I'd know, I'm the first to be really, really picky. Eventually I gathered the courage to design a skin, and was actually quite proud of the results. I crossed my fingers that the community wouldn't totally hate it, and decided to pitch it as a Halloween skin.

Also, the "Wolfman" is one of the major missing parts of the classic horror set Riot has going on. (FrankenTibbers Annie, Nosferatu Vlad, Zombie Ryze/Brand, even Headless Hecarim.) Yes, Warwick is a werewolf, but he is not a classic Wolfman.

How did you decide upon the design?

I took heavy inspiration from the classic Wolfman and the 2010 remake. I decided to go for a Victorian feel to his outfit for that reason. Additionally, I wanted to make sure the skin still looked and felt like Draven, so I kept the more "wolfy-human" look, instead of a "humany-wolf like Warwick is. Draven's personality and appearance is so incredibly vital to how much the community likes him that I knew it would be a mistake to not make sure I did my best to make a skin that felt appropriate. I know a lot of people think the skin isn't appropriate, but I don't think anyone can deny that I've gone out of my way to make sure it suits him as much as possible, and I'm only continuing to do so. The entire point of the skin was that I felt it suited him; I did not pick a theme at random and form it to him.

What about the axes? Don't werewolves not use weapons?

This seems to be one of the more common reasons that people aren't sold on the skin. They take the idea that werewolves are supposed to be savages that use their teeth and claws and shouldn't use weapons. There really isn't any mechanical way around that with Draven, so what I did instead was created axes that complimented the skin to make sure they didn't feel like they were inappropriate and just tacked on. I feel the axes are actually one of the cooler parts of the skin, and the benefit of silvery/moonlight particles because of his use of weapons I feel adds even more to the skin's appeal. So, yeah, while it might not be traditional for a werewolf to have to use weaponry, because there's no way around it with Draven I decided to take that drawback and actually make it another appeal to the skin theme. Whether or not I succeeded I do not particularly know.

I hope this helps give a better understanding of what I wanted to accomplish with the skin.

Enjoy, and thank you all so much who have shown me genuine support and appreciation. I am immensely indebted to you guys.

------------

Newest Art
New Concept Art (Black and White)
3D Bust (Base Model)
Axe Blade Study 3-D Model

Next Project(s)
3-D Mugshot)

Animation Stillframe (Blood Rush)

Planned Projects
Animation Stillframes (Pathing w/Blood Rush, Recall [currently being changed])
In-game Model Mock-up

----------------------------

Removed Hidden Passives:
(These hidden passives were removed due to community commentary pointing out that they would make the skin unfair.)

"Lunatic": Gains 1 bonus AD when on the same team as Diana.

"Pack Hunter": Gains 1 movespeed when a nearby allied Warwick's "Blood Scent" is active on an enemy. (Thanks, DerAlptraum, for the suggestion!)

When Draven kills Vladimir, or Vladimir kills Draven, the killer gains an additional 2 gold. (Thanks, Midnight Firefox, for the suggestion :])

My deviantART

My public Facebook

ThePlatypirate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Liking it so far. Halloween 2013 here we come!

mnso

03-07-2013

that draven pic is very susceptible for someone to ps a co.ck into his left hand and it would be hilarious

xzarion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Well, in 7 months when Halloween comes around, they might decide to do it.

Spookypatrol

03-07-2013

@xzarion: 7 months seems a short while for him to get another skin. (Although... Now that I think about it, Pool Party Ziggs and Snow Day Ziggs happened 4 months apart...) I'm just pitching it now because the earlier the better. I don't expect it to happen soon, if it ever does. Although I definitely won't complain if it ends up happening soon XD

IncrediBobs

03-07-2013

This actually looks pretty good! Love the concept. Bumping and a +1 for you.
Also LOVE the hidden passives. It seems like a really good idea!

Spookypatrol

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediBobs View Post
This actually looks pretty good! Love the concept. Bumping and a +1 for you.
Also LOVE the hidden passives. It seems like a really good idea!
Thank you : ) Glad to hear that!

And thanks! I might add some interaction with Warwick, too, but I'm not sure what...

xGUMBYx

03-07-2013

Hardly even play Draven but would buy that skin.

Spookypatrol

03-07-2013

Thanks

Well, the skin is doing decently considering I have virtually no art up yet... At least it's not getting shot completely down, haha.

I'll be sure to at the very least color that concept art. The nicer the thread, the better the interest, after all...

LegacyEx

03-07-2013

That is AWESOME.