Season 3 - The State of AD Carries.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShakeNBake EUW

03-07-2013

Greetings from EUW, posting this up here too to see what NA players think:

First, let me start this post by defining what it means to be an AD "carry".

An AD carry in League of Legends is a champion who deals a high amount of sustained physical damage per second, primarily through the use of auto-attacks.

Thus they scale well with stats such as Attack Damage, Attack Speed, Armor Penetration, Crit Chance and Crit Damage, in order to maximise the damage dealt by their auto attacks.

Playing as ADC is my favourite role in LoL, I cannot describe why, it is just a feeling you get when playing the class well feels more rewarding to me that any other champion role (or at least, it used too...)

There is a problem at the moment though, with the balance of the game in Season 3.

In my experience, it no longer feels rewarding to play as AD carry champions. Melee AD carries are straight up not viable, and Ranged AD carries are very strong with their full item builds, but ONLY when they are completely protected by their team. In solo queue games, it is rare for your team to protect you, and instead most people focus 100% on killing the enemy damage dealers at all costs. Ranged AD carries are very powerful at a tournament level of play, where co-ordinated teams can stop the ADC from dying, and allow him to pump out an insane amount of DPS in a team fight.

However, for your average LoL player, the role as a whole just feels straight up WEAK.

The classical counter to AD carries are AP mages. AP mages unleash a huge amount of burst damage, and because AD carries have very low defensive stats and no scaling with defensive stats, they can easily be "one shot" by enemy mages.

Now we have bruisers. These champions scale incredibly well with ALL stats. They have incredibly high base stats, and base damage on their abilities. These champions are built as a combination of DPS and tankiness. In a team fight, their goal is to cause as much damage and disruption as possible before dying. Bruisers currently absolutely destroy AD carries throughout all stages of the game, unless the AD carry has an insane item advantage, or his team is able to protect him from any harm.

Right now, with the current state of the game, I feel that as an AD carry player, no matter how well I perform in the laning phase, it means absolutely NOTHING.

I feel completely useless to my team, no matter what AD items I build, because EVERY other role in the game has the ability to completely shut me down. There is not one single role in the game that I can "duel" and come out on top of, with equal levels of farm, for the early game phase. In the mid game, I can kill supports, but that is it. Assassins, casters, bruisers & tanks all completely destroy AD carries in a straight up fight, even when the AD carry has a huge gold advantage.

I personally feel, that two things are broken in the game right now:

1) AD carry champions do not scale as well into late game as mages or bruisers or tanks. Yes we have a "steroid" ability, but the previously mentioned classes just scale SO well with all stats, that there is no chance that I can beat a 6 item mage / bruiser / tank as AD carry right now.

2) AD carry itemisation feels broken. If I win my lane, and rush a powerful item, I should feel STRONG. I should be able to actually beat other champions. As it is now, no matter how I choose to build my champions, I feel powerless in team fights, and more often than not I get absolutely WRECKED by a tanky-dps style champion, who can jump on me and 100->0 me before I can even dent his outrageously large health bar.

So this is a battle rally for the forums, to ask what are we supposed to do, as AD carry players?

I feel that we are not able to ever "carry" games in Season 3 with all the nerfs to the role. When was the last time you saw an AD carry champion absolutely wreck faces in a tournament game?

How often do you see a fed bruiser with Warmogs, Randuins, Sunfire Cape, Frozen Heart, Mercury Treads and a Magic Resist item of choice, walking 1v5 into a team fight, and coming out on top due to his insane ability to absorb damage whilst still outputting an absolute TONNE of dmg himself???

I am at my Wit's End here, I cannot figure out a way to effectively carry games whilst playing as an ADC champion. If I win a game, 90% of the time, it is because I won my lane, did my job in team fights, but got carried through the entire game by my team-mates.

I would either like to see ranged AD carries get a longer range, so they are more difficult to engage on, higher base move speed, so they can actually attempt to kite champions, or better steroids / stronger items, in order to improve their late game dps output, so I can once again feel that when I win my lane, I am able to have a very noticeable impact on team fights, and CARRY MY TEAM TO VICTORY instead of standing at the back shouting "pewpewpew" whilst my attacks go ignored by the enemy team.

p.s. for any wondering about my builds / setups etc. i run 21/9/0 masteries, AD marks, AD or Lifesteal quints, armor seals, mres glyphs, item build is Doran's Blade -> BF Sword -> Vamp Sceptre + Zerk Shoes -> either IE or BT -> Zeal -> either Shiv (if IE rushed) or IE (if BT rushed) -> either BotRK (if enemies stacking health) or LW (if enemies stacking armor), build Giant's Belt as required, and upgrade to Mallet.

I really do not see a more optimal way to play. BotRK rush is very weak now, the item is only useful vs health stacking teams. Building LW earlier means I delay my core DPS items, which makes no sense. You don't need penetration if you are dealing no dmg in the first place.

What can I do, vs a bruiser who has Warmogs / Sunfire Cape / Randuin's Omen, with a Frozen Heart somewhere on his team??? No matter what items I build, I feel completely powerless...

Metta

03-07-2013

I completely agree, and I am sad. Unfortunately Riot will most likely not do anything about it.

RexSaur

03-07-2013

I think they are gradually getting better.

New botrk is beast and they are nerfing randuins next patch.

JohnWilkesTwitch

03-07-2013

I main adc, and yes this is all true BUT good positioning really helps, and you've got to tell your team to peel or they will lose. You have to inspire teamwork to help yourself.

Now if your team is feeding the enemy lanes, that's a different story. Idc if you are 8-0 an 8-0 jax will always kill you unless you kite him hard with red buff/outplay him.

On another note make sure you're getting red buff as often as possible.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/35361054#profile

Irelia Carries U

03-07-2013

new zephyr will be viable on them as well, it builds out of a pickaxe now

Metta

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSaur View Post
I think they are gradually getting better.

New botrk is beast and they are nerfing randuins next patch.
Sorta destroyed botrk with the nerfs

D03Z

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

ADC was my role of choice too, but I'm finding more of a rush in jungling. You can help dictate a win or a loss every game by how you farm and how you help your teammates. It's just not as enjoyable to ADC in the new age of health stacking.

RexSaur

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta View Post
Sorta destroyed botrk with the nerfs
Its still far better than its last version on adcs.

Heat 0n My Meat

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake EUW View Post
p.s. for any wondering about my builds / setups etc. i run 21/9/0 masteries, AD marks, AD or Lifesteal quints, armor seals, mres glyphs, item build is Doran's Blade -> BF Sword -> Vamp Sceptre + Zerk Shoes -> either IE or BT -> Zeal -> either Shiv (if IE rushed) or IE (if BT rushed) -> either BotRK (if enemies stacking health) or LW (if enemies stacking armor).

I really do not see a more optimal way to play. BotRK rush is very weak now, the item is only useful vs health stacking teams. Building LW earlier means I delay my core DPS items, which makes no sense. You don't need penetration if you are dealing no dmg in the first place.

What can I do, vs a bruiser who has Warmogs / Sunfire Cape / Randuin's Omen, with a Frozen Heart somewhere on his team??? No matter what items I build, I feel completely powerless...
I see Botrk rush as crucial unless you know for some reason they're not going tanky. IMO it's crucial because most people get health these days because they don't like dying in 2 hits, and most team comps consist of at least person with a lot of health. To do any damage to someone with health, blood thirster isn't going to be nearly enough - you need botrk.

I usually don't even get blood thirster on my AD carries anymore, I go Botrk, zerker boots, IE, PD, LW/Black Cleaver, then GA/Warmogs. I felt like I've had a lot more success with this build.

As for the whole no one is protecting you in solo queue thing ... you just need to position better. Your job isn't to kill the enemy ADC/APC unless you're somehow in good position while they're in a bad position ... when ADCs are able to hit each other it usually means at least 1 ADC is out of position. My other advice would just be to play someone who have good escape mechanisms. Tristana and Cait come to mind.

Last piece of advice: get a good support to duo queue with. I know my support irl so I skype with him, and he usually does a good job of peeling for me, especially with Janna.

Best Fireman CAN

03-07-2013

ADC's are in a perfect state now with the new Blade of the Ruined King.. too bad its not a "ranged ad carry" item like hurricane. That way not everyone could rush it.