So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moroza

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Im liking the rework. thanks Riot.

More so, let me elaborate. I like how the creative/design team opted for a more sorceress' meditate type of look. Her dress from before did not seem to flesh with the idea that she is a calm collected leader (how does one sit cross legged and meditate in that?) Her eyes and face also reflect a tranquil feeling in her mind and state.

While some people have criticized the more skin = [censored] look, I think they need to look beyond that and think about the purpose of design as well. A dress isn't very mobile. This new look is. Showing skin does not = [censored]. This is far from the truth and its a double standard.
Honestly if I thought how the new look made her look like a woman of no class I wouldn't be playing this game because, guess what, most of the female champions are dressed in a similar fashion.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind this as much if it were a skin ... Heck it wouldn't even be that bad if this was a new champion.
But this is a champion that has been around and while unpopular has been an established character and not only does this design not reflect that character, it becomes a generic look for a champion that look pretty unique as MMOs go, not to mention it seems very much like they're trying to bring attention to this champion by making her more appealing in a hetero, teenage boy point of view and that's not a good thing for character development ever.

I agree the dress isn't mobile, which is why I think the free skin they're giving away to previous Karma owners would be a much better base design than the one they're planning on using.
However, the new look is no where near as mobile as you think it is. Do you realize how easy it would be to get your legs wrapped up and trip on those things? Incredibly

Eclipse Edge

03-06-2013

@Morello I can't speak for everyone, but what I really liked about the old Karma was the circle thingy that floated around her. I don't care about the fans (they were cool tho), but maybe, if the new spells don't need it, you can keep the crown thing on the traditional skin. Just my 2 cents.

Lona Delery

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune998 View Post
I honestly just do not like the new visuals, at first I thought the splash was a new champion, then I thought it was an Irelia skin, then I figured out it was Karma and thought the new skin might be neat, and finally I can to the realization that your art team is taking what was unique and special about Karma and turning her into an Irelia clone. I don't mind as much that you are tooling around with the kit because who knows maybe you'll hit gold but leave the visuals alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
except she looks nothing like Irelia.

TheIronEnforcer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Why does her dress look practical for battle now? hehe

Skyson

03-06-2013

So, from everything I'm gathering, I'm glad you're leaving the traditional skin.

But.. does Traditional Karma get to keep her fans? :/

TombMonk

03-06-2013

I bought karma because larias.

Rivini

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokoseigo2 View Post
I'll just leave this here... this is my problem with the new Karma design... Too many champions look like syndra... I had the same problem with the release of Zyra/diana/syndra but no matter. Also Syndra's design is ultra boring to begin with. I'm sure i'll be downvoted for poor shop, but I didnt feel like putting effort into photoing her face on her.
I'm ignoring the fact her pose is awkward, look at her back arch, I know its on a minor angle but it looks like her feet should be aimed at the screen based on her back positon

shown in the second picture
With those things floating behind her shown more prominently now, she looks more like Irelia to me.

Alenym Lardio

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.
To be honest, I had never given much importance to the enlightened side of Karma... The calm attitude, kay. The official and diplomacy-thingy, yeah. But I have never considered Karma as "badass", and this was exactly what I loved about her!
I was always making puns when people were saying "Karma useless" and blabla...
"I only have two fans and that's enough"
"Pff, I'll blow you away anyway"
It's the fans that made her special imo.
I'm quite impressed by the new Karma, don,t get me wrong! But when my good ol' Karma will be gone, there will be another archetype that will be emptied... Frankly, if your goal is to make old Karma players keep the same feeling... Give her fans. Anywhere. Even if they're useless accessories. :P

Annnd will Sakura Karma keep her kimono? Just asking

Serpent XI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Hey, there you go, a black champion!

Hellioning

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'd rather encourage behavior that's constructive when given the choice.
Very well then. I realize my earlier posts were basically just knee jerk reaction, so now that I have had time to think about it...

The color scheme seems off. It reminds me too much of Syndra. In fact, with the headress, it does look a lot like a lighter version of Syndra.

I like the fans. I would have preferred them to stay.

The exposed flesh seems gratuitous. It's not terrible, but considering classic Karma was fully covered, it seems like it exists just to titillate.