So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vertany

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Viper View Post
Does this mean that we may see their return in a future update? I understand not being able to fix her model now, because of how close she is to release and so forth, but could we look forward to their return in the future?
No, that is him saying that they won't change the way they approached Karma, but that they took note of the fact that they hurt some people.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkpz View Post
Lol'd. So what you're saying is you're allowed to "Personally" state your opinion because you agree with Riot, but not if you disagree. You must have voted for Obama.
You're not allowed to personally disagree with Riot's right to create their game as they see fit. You're allowed to dislike their game. But not to dislike their right to make it.

If you want to state that it is your opinion you find their game and they way they make it to be disagreeable there is no louder protest than to not play it.

Nhero

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchide View Post
Her dead parents did. Fans were the only memento she had left of her hometown and life before the war.

guess not.
Thanks for this, even more reason for us to keep the fans.

TheFlyingToaster

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynt View Post
That's my point. Her basic auto-attack was to fling some kind of paper origami at the enemy. That had nothing to do with fans.

She was neither a Japanese fan dancer, or wielded battle fans in an offensive manner, nor summoned great gales of gust to sweep her enemies away. The sole function of her fans was that she had them. Hence, was not a critical aspect of character. They neither were a symbol of her Ionian Status, a focal point of her martial strength, nor a magical item to enhance her character defining skills. There were just a random piece of decoration.
You clearly never paid attention to when she performs spells. While do so she often twirled her fans and muttered incantations in different ways, especially when she had a mantra charge activated.

The Aviatrix

03-06-2013

So... Since Karma is now a generic mage in appearance...

Are we gonna have a classy, elegant, lady in a dress ever again?

Zerglinator

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.
Seems like an awfully big thing to miss. Especially if you're willing to restart her kit rework of about a year...I'm not saying you'd better restart it, I'm just saying...you were willing to scrap her kit made by Guinsoo and restart that, just to make sure it feels right, and then drop this bombshell on us...

This would be way cooler if it were like Lee Sin's sister or some other new champion. I don't like how the old aesthetic is getting exterminated.

SilverKitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

First off, I love the new Traditional Karma skin. Major props to the art team for keeping both the original silhouette (especially from behind) and still managing to merge it with her new look with the tights and thigh boots keeping the look modest. It goes without saying that I will definitely be using this skin to play Karma when her re-imagining goes live.

I realize the fans are being removed as a part of updating her lore, but is there any way we could keep them just for the Traditional skin? Because I always saw her going into battle in a modest dress and a pair of iron fans as symbolic of her status as one of League's Ladies of War, as part of her elegance and poise even in the thick of battle. (And she often is, given her current close to mid range combat kit.) Not to mention, Tessenjutsu, a traditional Japanese style of combat using metal (typically iron) war fans, was practiced by the nobility, and expert practitioners could use a fan to parry darts and other ranged projectiles in addition to using it to defend themselves in duels against an opponent using a sword or a spear. The war fans were also used by samurai as a means of keeping a form of self defense in situations where taking an actual weapon (think katana) would have been inappropriate (like diplomatic negotiations). So for me, at least, the fans always seemed like a part of who she is, and even with what has been written here in terms of her new lore as a symbol of Ionian leadership, they still feel like they would've fit in perfectly.

Of course, in the time it took me to write all this, a whole bunch of other posts came up, and Morello has all but said the fans aren't coming back. I'll leave it there anyway, just as an explanation as to why Karma using a combat style involving battle fans was important to me. I do wish this was something that we (the current Karma players) had been asked about before the visual upgrade/re-imagining/rework, because I think this was something that we all saw as a core part of her character, both as a symbol of her status and as a way her character was represented in her combat style.

Alex3omg

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Thanks - this is informative.

Because of the rig and how things "work" (shorthand), the fans won't be returning here, but I think that these might have been more important to some die-hard Karma fans than we originally thought.

As our first full overhaul, we want to make sure if there are additional considerations that we take them into account when approaching these. While our decisions can quite possibly at least put off a few players with this kind of stuff, it is food for thought next time.
But even if she doesn't use the fans, why can't "traditional" karma have a fan in her hand as decoration, and maybe one on her belt/wrist?

also can someone answer the damn voice-actress question.... will it be the same woman?

Crowthen

03-06-2013

Perhaps the amazing peopke at riot can add fans to her traditional skin?

Diet Coke

03-06-2013

I can honestly say that I'm 100% in agreement with what you did Riot. I've always loved Karma, but she always needed some improvement as other champions were added that made her not really an even viable choice. While I do love her original skin and the other two which I have for her, this was the touch she needed! Thank you for finally doing something about her!