So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Viper

03-06-2013

I'd...actually prefer the traditional Karma skin to be her base skin, truth be told. The new base Karma model/art looks an awful like Syndra and LeBlanc, almost to the point of being formulaic. I don't mind Karma getting a rework, or a revamp, but why try and go for the bad ass points?

I mean, is Karma the central character in Ionia compared to someone like Irelia? Karma is supposed to be a spiritual leader, and though she is calm, she is supposed to be able to easily hold her own weight.

Her old model may not have conveyed that enough, that can easily be said and argued, but I liked her modesty. I liked the modesty that Karma brought with her. I don't like how her bust has been upgraded, and how the only real Asian feel I'm getting from her is the dragon tattoo which seems out of place for her. She's not a Yakuza boss, nor is she a Kinkou member (Akali's back for those who ask what I mean) so having a tattoo, on her long curvaceous leg, seems redundant on her. She's supposed to be serene to look at.

Her old model needed spiffing up, and if you were going to go for a complete overhaul, why not look at some Hindu and Buddhist influences in design? Why not something as simple as Lakshmi's design? I'm not sure, as she stands, her new base model doesn't really strike me as something very different in LoL, it looks on par with most of the female mages (Or whatever you want to call those who Mid, assassins and so forth).

When I read bad ass spiritual leader, I think of that Gandhi comic by the Escapist Magazine with Tyrant Gandhi. I mean, a bad ass spiritual leader? The reason for why Karma does what she does, and does so effectively, is that she knows when it is time to talk, and when it is time to fight. That's not being a bad ass necessarily, and I liked her having wind based magics because she made friends with Janna. It gave her some champion connectivity.

And in terms of lore, I understand Karma is supposed to be one of the leading figures in the Ionian government, but does that make her the central character to Ionia? In Ionia's story, who is the main character? Is it Karma, the leader of Ionia? Is it Shen, who is trying to fix the discord that Zed had sown? Is it Irelia, who won the Ionian-Noxian war and sacrificed every fiber of herself to do so? Is it Soraka? I like empowered, strong female figures, this is why I am such a fan of Irelia, and I will admit that I am a bit biased towards her, but I would like to know who the central character to Ionia's plot is, because shaping them around them would make more sense instead of trying to make every single champion a main character.

And on a final note...can you change Karma's hand position? I'm not sure how much trouble that would be, but her left hand is the symbol of love. Wouldn't Buddha's hand gesture make more sense, considering who Karma is? I think that alone would add more depth to her character, this slight alteration.

I'm sorry I'm seeming like I'm griping so much, but Karma really is one of my favorite characters, surprisingly enough. I don't get to play her often because oh no I'm playing Karma I gotta be trolling, etc etc, but she needed tweaks if anything, aesthetically speaking, or something to better compliment her.

At no real point did I sit down and think, "Karma needs to be shown how bad ass she is."

I always thought of George Herbert's saying for when she does get to the point of action: "One sword keeps another in the sheath." But, really, those are just my thoughts. That's really all I can offer, and discussion of course.

Kabitzy

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabitzy View Post
There is one thing I want to know.

I do not enjoy this new Karma remake, and I own the old skins. What if I hate how Sakura/Sun Godess come out in the remake? I bought them because I enjoyed how they looked. If I no longer enjoy them after the remake I should be entitled to a refund for them. Will that be available?
I'd really appreciate a red answer to this.

VexTheHex

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esilyn View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll remove some of the quotes.
Like the way they reworked Annie, maybe.
Ya, I'm hoping the VO for Traditional Karma won't just be 100% copy pasted over. Her jokes will be pretty bad in more ways than one.

What are the fans she is talking about?

and

What is this impractical dress she is talking about?

Will also be a spit in the face to those who are upset with the loss of the dress and fans. It's be best to just giver her the new VO to fit her new animations as well. Would like to hear back on this subject from the Reds.

Healurownbum

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esilyn View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll remove some of the quotes.
Like the way they reworked Annie, maybe.
That would mean she gets to keep neither of her jokes, abt her dress and her fans... Sooo no jokes then anymore? Or just horribly out of place?

Kazoopie

03-06-2013

As a player that absolutely adores karma to no end I have to say I like how polished the VU looks, although I'm still a little scared about her kit.

I usually play her as a support/mage. I could build her purely Ap and still add very nice durability to the team, deal AOE and provide a shield for the tanks when they rush in (or shield a near minion for some safe AOE poke mid or bot), speed up/slow down an ally or enemy and deal some nice damage if executed right, and the fact that you could heal and do damage with the same ability was amazing. I could even become even more reliable on low HP, becoming almost like an off tank mage while I'd be escaping

I really adore her potential high damage output and her high utility so naturally scared about the kit because I cant think of anything that can top her current kit for a support mage.
I hope my worries are put to rest when shes released to the PBE

Grand Viper

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelivar View Post
Isn't that what the old Ionian medal thing on her back that Irelia also has was supposed to impart? Her Ionian importance?

I always thought her fans were more of a sign of her background - the intellectual, refined, classy and elegant side of her.
The fans and the dress were her personality, rather than just her position.

You want to show more about her, but nothing on this says Ionian to me.
She looks like a Voodoo poisoner, especially when her eyes/hands are lit up as if she is possessed by some spirit.

At this time, I feel the only thing you've kept about her is her name.
I miss her fans too and the characterization they gave.

Regina George

03-06-2013

Why isn't the traditional skin her default skin? That is really bugging me. You could have just released her new default skin (the purple one) as a new skin for Karma and keep the traditional one as her default. I just don't get the reason why you'd do this.

and about the fans...you removed something that was completely unique to her. She was the only champion who used fans (unlike swords or bows etc). It REEKED of Karma. Yes, now she does look shiny and new, but it doesn't really look like her anymore. It feels like we lost the original Karma and this one is a new champion.

Hellioning

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Hey Guys, just to chime in on the fan conversation and to give some insight.
We got rid of the fans because they did not reflect who we wanted Karma to be going forward. The lore team really wanted to make Her the paragon of Ionia. The fans were not cutting it as a source of readable power in game either. So we iterated on the Ionian standard, the two swirling dragons. We played with the idea that She harnesses Her spiritual energy and uses the Two Ionian Jade Dragons as a conduit for her Mantra. After the particle team got hold of that idea, they made something that was much more impactful and holistic than the two fans. We feel it's a much stronger idea.
...Why are you capitalizing the pronouns used to refer to her? Is she god now?

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
This is very true. She'll be going to pbe soon
Any chance we can get a picture of the Sun Goddess Karma and Sakura Karma reworks this week? (or today!?) We would love you for ever and ever Grumpy Monkey

Esilyn

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexTheHex View Post
Ya, I'm hoping the VO for Traditional Karma won't just be 100% copy pasted over. Her jokes will be pretty bad in more ways than one.

What are the fans she is talking about?

and

What is this impractical dress she is talking about?

Will also be a spit in the face to those who are upset with the loss of the dress and fans. It's be best to just giver her the new VO to fit her new animations as well. Would like to hear back on this subject from the Reds.
Ouch. Just hit me in them feels to remind me that we'd be losing a lot more than I thought (combined).
Nonetheless, I'm going to embrace the change as I do like this upgrade.