Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


So, about that Karma leak...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whyumai

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
BestBilbo:
Thank you, found it!



I know this is going to get downvotes, but read so you know why 'Karma' as name shouldn't be taken lightly as an aspect on her design.

You're welcome!

PS: Yet again thanks Whyumai!


Essentially you are applying connotations from this world into Runeterra where these words may not have the same meanings.

It's a name. It's supposed to suggest things about the champion at most or generally be a reference to something at least. It's not a definition.

If her name was soulbowl you wouldn't try to force her to be a walking bowl of soup would you?

Furthermore it doesn't really fit her lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestBilbo

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Whyumai:
Essentially you are applying connotations from this world into Runeterra where these words may not have the same meanings.

It's a name. It's supposed to suggest things about the champion at most or generally be a reference to something at least. It's not a definition.

If her name was soulbowl you wouldn't try to force her to be a walking bowl of soup would you?

Furthermore it doesn't really fit her lore.


Yet it's a word that means something and has spiritual connections and it's a commonly known word so they shouldn't and wouldn't throw it around so lightly especially since her entire visual appearance is dipped in things that are relatable to this actual theme.

'Soulbowl' doesn't come close to the value 'Karma' has, 'Karma' means something hence people will directly think it'll most likely be a character that revolves around playing like that.

Nobody is going to assume a character is going to be walking out a bowl of soup. To be honest, you have misinterpretted the post completely.

'Doesn't fit her lore'

Correct - I've already proven how 'Karma' is a more readable theme than 'Spiritual Leader' with Demi, however if they would've chosen 'Karma' as her central focus it'd be likely she'd have to go through lore changes as well - also for the sake of readability.

EDIT: Think about this: Readability. They opt to make a design as readable as possible.

Now if the name is extremely readable (commonly known word) but isn't reflected in any way at all in terms of gameplay, it's misleading and thus not readable.

If the name is abstract - nobody will take it so dang seriously, like nobody is going to think 'Graves' has anything to do with you know... graves.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestBilbo

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Going to sleep - probably making my own thread tomorrow - cya!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whyumai

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
BestBilbo:
Yet it's a word that means something and has spiritual connections and it's a commonly known word so they shouldn't and wouldn't throw it around so lightly especially since her entire visual appearance is dipped in things that are relatable to this actual theme.

'Soulbowl' doesn't come close to the value 'Karma' has, 'Karma' means something hence people will directly think it'll most likely be a character that revolves around playing like that.

Nobody is going to assume a character is going to be walking out a bowl of soup. To be honest, you have misinterpretted the post completely.

'Doesn't fit her lore'

Correct - I've already proven how 'Karma' is a more readable theme than 'Spiritual Leader' with Demi, however if they would've chosen 'Karma' as her central focus it'd be likely she'd have to go through lore changes as well - also for the sake of readability.

EDIT: Think about this: Readability. They opt to make a design as readable as possible.

Now if the name is extremely readable (commonly known word) but isn't reflected in any way at all in terms of gameplay, it's misleading and thus not readable.

If the name is abstract - nobody will take it so dang seriously, like nobody is going to think 'Graves' has anything to do with you know... graves.


Actually Graves name is supposed to project someone quite tough and rugged which is probably accurate for that champion.

In this way of thinking Graves should be Yorick since he should be all about graves and the undead and such. It's not though. Yorick is named that because it references death/gravedigging (from the Shakespeare play).

It's adequate because the name does not define the champion.

As such Karma in LoL (lore wise) is actually more inline with Joan of Arc than she would be with Buddha. That's actually more inline with her theme.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestBilbo

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
Whyumai:
Actually Graves name is supposed to project someone quite tough and rugged which is probably accurate for that champion.


Read the first sentence of the post - ItemsGuy's post I linked - this is exactly what he sad.

Quote:
In this way of thinking Graves should be Yorick since he should be all about graves and the undead and such. It's not though. Yorick is named that because it references death/gravedigging (from the Shakespeare play).


No - it's pretty much a random name, it doesn't have the value of what 'Karma' as a name has, Karma has spiritual weight tied to it as well as it being a commonly known word that can be easily associated with a defined playstyle.

Quote:
It's adequate because the name does not define the champion.


Please read ItemsGuy's post again, very carefully.

I'm really off now - cya!

EDIT: (in fact, it takes the usual job of a champion's name to imply the characteristics of the champion, such as Graves's grave and gritty demeanor - sorry, turned out not to be the first sentence.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Severian NA

Senior Member

03-18-2013

She's live on PBE, hope the queue isn't too bad. Hope that sakura skin is a work in progress...

Edit: Strike that. Apparently they ran into some issues >.<


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrCroc987

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Why take away the cone heal, it doesn't make sense. wave made her my favorite character, it F**ked with the enemy so much, you give them all the damage while healing all your team mates.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whyumai

Senior Member

03-18-2013

Quote:
BestBilbo:
Read the first sentence of the post - ItemsGuy's post I linked - this is exactly what he sad.



No - it's pretty much a random name, it doesn't have the value of what 'Karma' as a name has, Karma has spiritual weight tied to it as well as it being a commonly known word that can be easily associated with a defined playstyle.



Please read ItemsGuy's post again, very carefully.

I'm really off now - cya!

EDIT: (in fact, it takes the usual job of a champion's name to imply the characteristics of the champion, such as Graves's grave and gritty demeanor - sorry, turned out not to be the first sentence.


Again, the name does not define the champion. It hints or perhaps references details of the champion but does not define that champion.

Your assumption in this case is that Karma does not actually have enough lore to base a champion on. That's entirely untrue.

Karma is essentially the Ionian version of Joan of Arc. In almost every way.

Joan of Arc drew upon her faith to lead the french the victory.

Joan of Arc was known to prefer using her battle standard to using her sword.

Joan of Arc arose from a humble peasant background to eventually rise to nobility (even reaching to sainthood after her death).

That's very much in line with Karma's lore. Only with a magic reference rather than religion. Still similar sorts of thing.

Furthermore it can be shown that she's actually now more in line with this depiction of her character with the visual upgrade than she was before. Finally having her own battle standard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrCroc987

Senior Member

03-18-2013

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBakerman

Senior Member

03-18-2013

I'm so stoked,even though with all the people trying to log in might take a couple days to get in XD

Least i'll have new Gears to play while I wait.