So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Viper

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh de Tonreau View Post
if it weren't for the leg then no one would be complaining. how is a leg sexual. it isn't even both legs, it's one leg to show off a mark on it. sheesh you people are so dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosneobreakage View Post
I agree. People probably don't tell you this enough but great work Riot. Keep them coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexedCat View Post
Isn't that a little much? She shows one leg.

one
damn
leg

and it isn't even sexual. If people get turned on by one leg showing then that's there problem but I'm just not seeing it (Though I'm gay so take that as you will). Saying she looks like a prostitute going out to turn tricks is kind of a stretch.

Have you looked at the picture? The marking on the leg that glows is the important part, not the leg itself. She's supposed to look spiritual and I feel like the new look conveys this much better than the old dress.

If you honestly feel that strongly about it then you can play the Traditional Skin where both her legs are covered. But personally I think people are making it out to be way worse than it is.
Showing one leg in order to display a writhing dragon tattoo on a refined political figure is oversexualizing when said tattoo encompasses her entire leg so your eye is forced to linger and trace every curve of said leg. Dragon tattoos are not generally seen as "serene". You have Akali with a dragon tattoo on her back because you don't screw with her. Akali can wear her outfit because her pose, her position as an assassin, and the fact that she takes influence from the kunoichi makes sense. On Karma, I'm not such a big fan of the dragon tattoo to try and exemplify how "bad ass" she is when she is supposed to be a yin/yang, Buddhist,Taoist figure.

Not saying people with tattoos cannot be Buddhists or Taoists, which goes on to my next point as to what I mean:

It's not about the 1800's and how scandalous showing an ankle is. Look at the history of attire and then look at our modern way of dressing, look at how different cultures and their leaders and goddesses and not necessarily about the "stuffy 1800's and harumph gentlemanly manners." There's also the idea of pose, how a regal, tranquil figure should look (I would use Buddha for example) compared to how she is currently standing and her general appearance.

She's being made more streamlined to fit the LoL norm of champions rather than standing out as unique. She's supposed to be a leader, and instead of showing us how she's bad ass, they're more telling us she is because her appearance doesn't really read "bad ass leader".

It says Syndra's tailor has some explaining to do.

It's also not just about her leg, if you haven't noticed, it's about the cut of the dress on both sides and the implications of baring one leg but hiding the other. It gives a s*xual appeal because you hide one side but show the other, it's having a single stocking/covering on a leg and oh ho ho what could be on the other? The mystery, the intrigue! It's about what you silly boys want but cannot have, and it would be better suited on a femme fatale character rather than Karma who is supposed to be a regal, leader figure. And there is also the rest of her attire that one should look at, and the overall chest upgrade she received.

And as an added note, to bring back an old point I made much earlier, I would like a change in Karma's hand position. I'm not sure how much trouble that would be, but her left hand is the symbol of love. Wouldn't Buddha's hand gesture make more sense, considering who Karma is? I think that alone would add more depth to her character, this slight alteration. You want someone who goes from "Love youuu" to "Be at peace whilst I kick your posterior"? All it takes is a single hand gesture.

All it takes from making one look like they work the midnight shift, can be a single pantleg.

LightspeedSloth

03-12-2013

I wonder if people would say the same thing about the leg tattoo if a character like Lee Sin or Darius or Ezreal (basically any male character) was rocking one like it in new Karma's pose.

IS13d0bef7a26900094c0e3

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexedCat View Post
Isn't that a little much? She shows one leg.

one
damn
leg

and it isn't even sexual. If people get turned on by one leg showing then that's there problem but I'm just not seeing it (Though I'm gay so take that as you will). Saying she looks like a prostitute going out to turn tricks is kind of a stretch.

Have you looked at the picture? The marking on the leg that glows is the important part, not the leg itself. She's supposed to look spiritual and I feel like the new look conveys this much better than the old dress.

If you honestly feel that strongly about it then you can play the Traditional Skin where both her legs are covered. But personally I think people are making it out to be way worse than it is.
i bolded the important part

you guys see her other leg. it doesn't have a tattoo, so there's cloth all over that baby. HOWEVER look at her other leg, there's that huge dragon tattoo that's all glowing and stuff. this is what Riot wanted to show, it helps sell her "mystic/spiritual" side with the asian dragon imagery and the glowing. that's the kind of mysic stuff ionia has, because they're asia.

Josh de Tonreau

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Viper View Post
Showing one leg in order to display a writhing dragon tattoo on a refined political figure is oversexualizing when said tattoo encompasses her entire leg so your eye is forced to linger and trace every curve of said leg. Dragon tattoos are not generally seen as "serene". You have Akali with a dragon tattoo on her back because you don't screw with her. Akali can wear her outfit because her pose, her position as an assassin, and the fact that she takes influence from the kunoichi makes sense. On Karma, I'm not such a big fan of the dragon tattoo to try and exemplify how "bad ass" she is when she is supposed to be a yin/yang, Buddhist,Taoist figure.

Not saying people with tattoos cannot be Buddhists or Taoists, which goes on to my next point as to what I mean:

It's not about the 1800's and how scandalous showing an ankle is. Look at the history of attire and then look at our modern way of dressing, look at how different cultures and their leaders and goddesses and not necessarily about the "stuffy 1800's and harumph gentlemanly manners." There's also the idea of pose, how a regal, tranquil figure should look (I would use Buddha for example) compared to how she is currently standing and her general appearance.

She's being made more streamlined to fit the LoL norm of champions rather than standing out as unique. She's supposed to be a leader, and instead of showing us how she's bad ass, they're more telling us she is because her appearance doesn't really read "bad ass leader".

It says Syndra's tailor has some explaining to do.

It's also not just about her leg, if you haven't noticed, it's about the cut of the dress on both sides and the implications of baring one leg but hiding the other. It gives a s*xual appeal because you hide one side but show the other, it's having a single stocking/covering on a leg and oh ho ho what could be on the other? The mystery, the intrigue! It's about what you silly boys want but cannot have, and it would be better suited on a femme fatale character rather than Karma who is supposed to be a regal, leader figure. And there is also the rest of her attire that one should look at, and the overall chest upgrade she received.

And as an added note, to bring back an old point I made much earlier, I would like a change in Karma's hand position. I'm not sure how much trouble that would be, but her left hand is the symbol of love. Wouldn't Buddha's hand gesture make more sense, considering who Karma is? I think that alone would add more depth to her character, this slight alteration. You want someone who goes from "Love youuu" to "Be at peace whilst I kick your posterior"? All it takes is a single hand gesture.

All it takes from making one look like they work the midnight shift, can be a single pantleg.
Akali is from Ionia. Karma is from Ionia. Ionia is like that. You're definitely overreacting.

And I agree....I noticed the hand too I'm glad I'm not the only one. Totally with you on that.
Edit: Wait do you mean her left or the one on our left....cuz i meant changing the one on our right

LightspeedSloth

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottShotJEEJEE View Post
i bolded the important part

you guys see her other leg. it doesn't have a tattoo, so there's cloth all over that baby. HOWEVER look at her other leg, there's that huge dragon tattoo that's all glowing and stuff. this is what Riot wanted to show, it helps sell her "mystic/spiritual" side with the asian dragon imagery and the glowing. that's the kind of mysic stuff ionia has, because they're asia.
Why put the tattoo on her whole leg? Why not one of her arms?

Josh de Tonreau

03-12-2013

It's not like she's giving the money shot or something. Having your legs free makes running and battle much easier. Karma IS engaged in battle.

Calling Clouds

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightspeedSloth View Post
I wonder if people would say the same thing about the leg tattoo if a character like Lee Sin or Darius or Ezreal (basically any male character) was rocking one like it in new Karma's pose.
Gladiator Draven is a million times more naked than he is in either of his skins and nobody's white knighting for him.

Leg tattoo or not he's still wearing shoulder pads and a loincloth.

And I never understood the pose argument. A woman standing in a stance made my many male champions would look just as strange as a man standing in any of the female champions stances, with a few exceptions. If Lux were sitting like Draven wouldn't that look really weird? Or Darius? Or Tryndamere?

Grand Viper

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightspeedSloth View Post
It would look ridiculous on them, and Lee Sin's entire chest is covered in tattoos. That's why I said it's not like you can not be a monk and wear tattoos. Lee and Darius are pretty much the pinnacle of the physical shape of man, extremely muscular in both cases, Lee is influenced from Bruce Lee ergo corded muscles, Darius looks like he can eat 5 bears and ask for more, they're male fantasies in their own way. And Ezreal is...actually pretty normally built.

In regards to the tattoo? Try covering 50% of their chest. Imagine that. Now make the three of them have legs, and only one dragon tattoo and no other tattoos or muscles or scars or anything. Just that tattoo, on the three of them. It doesn't say much, does it? You'd have to go into complete redesigns, you'd have to work it out and show it instead of saying, "I'm going to use an argumentative fallacy and state if you put it on any MAN champion like these two beefcakes and Ezreal, then my point will be proven!"

It will not because you are using "affirming the consequent". If Darius has this tattoo, he would look bad *ss. If Karma has this tattoo, she will look bad *ss. Therefore, if they both have this tattoo, they would both look bad *ss.

Let me play your game then, and ask you this: Can you imagine Lux, Katarina or Sona with muscles as big as Darius, Udyr or Garen? Why not give them so much muscle?

I'll stop being so aggressive and move onto the point of her pose, because you may say we may complain about that. The same pose on a male character would look ridiculous still, and you can look through the GD thead and see that in terms of Karma's current pose, as said from Reds, it needs work.

And I don't mind that, nor do I mind portraying women sexily. Why make Karma sexy over say, Evelynn? Evelynn looks like a troll, although she's supposed to be the Widowmaker. Why not focus your energy on making Evelynn more sexy since she's supposed to be a man eater? Right now Evelynn's physical appearance alone scares the bejesus out of me. She's supposed to entice you, not make you scream in horror (until it's too late, at least).

So really, do you want Tyrant Gandhi on our hands, or do we want the regal Karma?

Grand Viper

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh de Tonreau View Post
Akali is from Ionia. Karma is from Ionia. Ionia is like that. You're definitely overreacting.

And I agree....I noticed the hand too I'm glad I'm not the only one. Totally with you on that.
Edit: Wait do you mean her left or the one on our left....cuz i meant changing the one on our right
It's the hand on our right I'd like changed.

Josh de Tonreau

03-12-2013

Culturally Ionia is more likely to have markings and it's shown through the characters. Ionia is OUT THERE and we should all know how they are and what we can expect. Karma embodies Ionia so we shouldn't be complaining about...leg or tattoo. It's not like she's side-boob Akali who has her legs out too.

Quote:
It's the hand on our right I'd like changed.
oh ok then yeah i agree.