So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aranjah

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Eclipse View Post
Just a minor question: What was the thought process leading to a free skin to everyone who owned Karma before the relaunch over the notion of giving it to everyone who owned her before the announcement of the prelaunch (the cutoff date being the difference)? I kinda feel like that falls more to the devotion of people who are traditionally Karma players. This point was brought up to me by a buddy of mine who does not own Karma and agrees with this standpoint.
Personally, I'm glad they did it this way. I'm a relatively new player (so I wasn't around to buy here "way back when" and "tough it out" until now). I've been on the fence about buying her since I saw her, because she sounded interesting and her aesthetic was really cool and unique, but I generally make it a point to try out a champion before I buy them so I know my IP will be well-spent, and she hasn't been free since I started playing, so I couldn't try her out. Seeing this announcement, though, and seeing the new model and new splash art pushed me to go ahead and buy her now, though, for the classic skin. Not because "ermahgerd free skin lulz" but because, like most of the Karma vets are saying in this thread, I agree that the classic look is far better and it is the look I will want to use.

Does the fact that I like to try before I buy and couldn't do that prior to the announcement really put me in the same category as "free skin lulz" people? I don't think it does, and I'm glad Riot has given me the opportunity to use the skin I like. (Even if they did get rid of the fans, which is disappointing.)

Preparing for downvotes for being one of the unwashed masses, but whatever. Thanks Riot for giving me the opportunity to use the skin that looks unique and originally caught my attention about this champion.

TheEnygma

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrut View Post
who at riot had the idea to make her black and shoot purple lazers, like really guys..why not release a skin where karma shoots fried chicken and watermelons while were at it
Karma was always black and wtf does lasers have to do with her blackness?

racist

Buboniic

03-07-2013

Have to be honest, Im glad it was leaked late. I would love to be surprised instead of everyone leaking everything > like Celestine Soraka, it totally caught me off-guard

Raptamei

03-07-2013

How to make Karma more appealing, Riot style:

1/ Remove dress
2/ ...
3/ ...
4/ $$$

Raptamei

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranjah View Post
I agree that the classic look is far better[/I] and it is the look I will want to use.
Nah, Sakura. Smaller and less likely to get clicked on. Blends into the grass during a teamfight.

relevantex

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnygma View Post
Karma was always black and wtf does lasers have to do with her blackness?

racist
You didn't know we have the unique mutation that allows us to shoot purple lasers? It's pretty awesome

Vrinnsquirrel

03-07-2013

I still am in awe of this, I love the new look, and I will be more then happy to learn her again to properly take advantage of those game changing moments, I'm just totally psyched it came out in my year (Snake by the oriental zodiac so I am exceedingly happy my 2nd favorite champ in the game is getting the work she deserved.)

Raptamei

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
We also decked her out in Ionian garb to emphasize her femininity.
Fixed.

dEVlL DREAMer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkgmr333 View Post
I hope the guy who let the Karma rework info slip didn't get in too much trouble D:
Why would he have any problems? Oh wait RiotNasus & Serif...

RIP some random chinese Rioter...
You will be remembered for your merits to LoL curious community in revealing Karma info!

idiotness

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian NA View Post
I will reiterate, as it seems my explanation attached to a request got lost in the crowd.
I hope a simple cut and paste will do

"This is an exceptional execution of a reworked look. I won't lie, I don't dislike this Karma. Though I do not like her losing her calm under any circumstances, I can see why that might be dehumanizing her too much.

Yet, as I feared, this becomes a clean break. Like it is suddenly the future, and her old friends barely recognize her. (We did have issues as you know, with the leaked pic :P )
This is Battle-Karma. And I see that is what you wanted her to be. It is not the Karma who expressed how centered, serene and self-confident she was by simply walking straight out on the battlefield, then going "Oh, Yes. This dress maay have been impractical."
Expressed in the way she stood, calmly looking around and fanning herself. Entering the battleground as a noblewoman who simply will not be fazed. I can see her staring down Shyvana's true form, fans fluttering, the only change of expression and poise an arched eyebrow. In her impractical dress.
I will miss that ridiculous calm and confidence. I see that my Karma has been measured and found wanting, and that is saddening because she truly was unique. But alright. It was your decision, and I am sure you didn't make it lightly. I won't rant and rave, this is life.

But I have one request. If you add a classical skin, then I can treat the rest as years later, and I get to keep my Karma. Everybody wins. But that requires a dress. This one is much too practical. It requires fans, and it requires her old animations (though feel free to tune them up). Especially the walk and idle ones. And her old voice. I realize and appreciate the gesture of the classic skin (greatly, in fact. It confirms beyond doubt that you listen and you care, which makes this easier to swallow.) Yet if you want the classic skin to be our Karma, it requires its most defining aspects. If you would go to those lengths I will be ridiculously, pathetically grateful for a bridge that ties the new to the old, for getting to, officially, keep my Karma. It would make everybody come out on top.
It is silly, how did I grow this attached to her?

So, I know it will require a lot of work. I don't care if you charge for that. But is there hope? Pretty please?

-Sev"
This--this is similar to how I feel too. I'm not quite willing to assume the worst without having seen the model in action, but I AM concerned that she will be losing some of that dignity/nobility that she represents for me. I can actually see this working out, so this post becomes more of a plea for care than a criticism (I'm also not as attached to the battle fans as others may be, and I'm not quite sure I understand the sentiment). You want to get rid of the fans? Fine. You want to change out the full dress for something a bit more practical? I understand that (though I'm really really fond of that dress. Haha, it just looks so elegant). But please be careful that she retains her class. Make sure she never gets consumed by battle-rage; make sure she's keeping her composure. This is what makes her Karma to me. It's the line in your original post that worried me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Karma’s original look had a few shortcomings that we’d like to address for her relaunch. For starters, her aesthetic was hard to read and didn’t really convey much about her character. Her fans, dress and posture didn’t reflect her playstyle or storyline. There was a lot we could change about Karma to bring a more cohesive vision to the character.[...]This new approach to Karma transforms her into a badass conduit of inner strength that brings Ionia’s strength to every battlefield.
Her original dress and posture absolutely convey her character. And part of what makes her Karma is the fact that she does feel the need to be badass.

Also, I hope you're not getting the impression from the community response that much of the current Karma fanbase is something of a hipster subculture in League context (especially the ones angry about the fact that people can still buy the champ and get the free skin upon re-release). I promise, we're not all like that. For others, it's not the fact that she's the least played champ in League, it's really the way she holds herself. As she is, she's one of the few champs I'd probably want to get to know and become friends with (haha, Lux and Blitz seem pretty chill too, and Amumu...I just feel bad for him).