So, about that Karma leak...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gallow SinCrux

03-06-2013

This would all be k for me if you kept the same voice actor. I can understand a new go"goal" for Karma, but her voice sold it for me. I can deal with the fans being gone, though their presence helped sell that nobility type. Mantra stays = win. You even let me keep poofy hair, black and white badassery Karma in the form of her Traditional skin. BUT PLEASE TELL ME HER VOICE ACTOR IS THE SAME!

Rez Delnava

03-06-2013

A few questions about new Karma:

First, have you done away with her fans entirely? I rather enjoyed the lore about them being inherited and Janna enchanting them in a sign of protest against Zaun's (Singed and Warwick's) hand in the Noxian attack on Ionia.

Second: Can she still jungle with the new kit? I loved pulling out the 'WTF'-inspiring jungle Karma and dominating for 20 mins (after that Karma becomes rather worthless at the moment).

Third: Can we get some comradery/antagonism interactions in her remake? Janna, Irelia, Soraka, and Lee Sin are no brainers for allied interactions, and anyone Noxian (or Singed and Warwick) would be easy for enemy interaction, but I would LOVE to see Karma and Riven have some kind of interaction. The potential there... the symbol of Ionia and the vanguard of Noxian reform would have some pretty interesting things to say to eachother.

Mariachi Duck

03-06-2013

I have to say, as Karma was one of my favourite champions, I am:
1) Impressed by the amount of work that went into this
2) Disappointed by the lack of fans. I was a fan of the fans.
3) Happy about the Traditional Skin. But I will miss the fans... could the Sakura skin perhaps retain the fans?
4) Excited by the notion of a new mechanics set.

However most of all... I am kind of worried about her flavour, here. It didn't imagine her as a Mortal Kombat character with a Beyblade Spirit that she uses to magically beat the tar out of people. To me, the defining feature of Karma was that she did battle with good manners and classiness as a power source. Like, somehow, the fact that she was unshakably serene and unwaveringly polite was how she beat people, and through sheer force of will. I am worried that the move to the dragon motif and the more expressly violent default skin is also a move away from what was possibly the classiest fictional character of all time. I'm sure I'll get used to this new Karma, and like it... but I will miss the Miss who always fought with straight back, measured steps and intense reservation.

Vainisto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

Why is she still black though?

messymike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2013

so you took old karma, and made her basically rihanna... maybe now everyone will quit crying about a black champion

hoping she didnt change too much
she was making a comeback in solo lanes alot this season

Netteh

03-06-2013

Ive been waiting for this for such a long time!
Nice job!
I hope I can still support my friendly adc with karma, just better now

I've always been a fan of karma, and tried to find a way to use her as a proper support
She worked well with tryndamere and irelia, but not really ranged AD carries
I hope it's better now

>For Ionia!

Cherubas

03-06-2013

I personally love everything about this. Reworking her kit? I'm excited. New look? Cool, it's like getting a new skin. Oh wait, Cherubas, you do, would you like a classic skin for free? Yes.

And this new, harder attitude that everyone has gripes with. I think it's an AMAZING idea.

Let's say it were a movie. Karma's this great leader that people look to for wisdom and she's patient and gentle and calm and stuff and that works for a time, but then everything descends into chaos. She tries to maintain the calm gentle attitude but all the while the nation's being torn apart, people are shouting at her that this peace thing isn't working, everyone's losing faith in her while Ionian lives are lost. Which way do you think the plot would go at this point?

If she stays peaceful and tries to prove the gentle way DOES work then you're looking at some kind of war drama which may or may not have a happy ending. Fitting for when they add diplomacy mode to the fields of justice and Tear of the Chick Flick Fan Girl gives you a +45 to your "talk about my feelings" points.

But this is THE LEAGUE. We've got Darius and Garen and Teemo, manly men who settle problems with VIOLENCE. AND DAMN IT I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!

So Karma realizes that we need a firmer hand. She learns kung fu. Okay, she doesn't learn kung fu, but she stops sitting around apologizing for her ladyfarts and BRINGS THE PAIN!

Now which movie's getting a sequel? Karma and the Gentle Caress of Everlasting Understanding or KARMA: PENTAKILL WISDOM?

Lot's of characters who were formerly peaceful and gentle had to take level in badass, from Raiden to Conker, and I've never seen a case where watching them sip tea would have been more entertaining than watching them crush the skulls of their enemies with their jaws.

If you can't accept Karma for the lovely and slightly less tolerant woman that she's going to become then you never truly loved her at all!

Jaquelle

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoruichi View Post
They are a company. What's wrong with making money? I think you're being unrealistic here.

I appreciate that I'm getting a free skin, period. Even with this news, how many people do you think will rush to buy Karma?
Though this is a company, this isn't going to make them money if they give the skin out for IP. It just sucks that people are just going to get Karma just for the skin. I told two of my friends today and right away they said "I'm going to get her now" after talking so much trash about how bad she was for so long.

BadgerDrool

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Additionally, Karma originally only had two fans, and we wanted to increase that amount by removing the fans.

....sigh....ow....took me a moment. Bit more hurt about this Joke then I should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Maybe so, but I think if that's the only price we pay (and with the new rig, the fans had to go), I think it's extremely minor for the gains.
I was suspicious there might have been a tech limitation here. Traded fans for glow maybe? I'm still confused because Thresh is *so good* at having really advanced and nuanced model animations. So many auto attack animations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Hey Guys, just to chime in on the fan conversation and to give some insight.
We got rid of the fans because they did not reflect who we wanted Karma to be going forward. The lore team really wanted to make Her the paragon of Ionia. The fans were not cutting it as a source of readable power in game either. So we iterated on the Ionian standard, the two swirling dragons. We played with the idea that She harnesses Her spiritual energy and uses the Two Ionian Jade Dragons as a conduit for her Mantra. After the particle team got hold of that idea, they made something that was much more impactful and holistic than the two fans. We feel it's a much stronger idea.

Ah maybe it wasn't a tech limit.

I say again. Two fans was a terrible idea and made her mirrored and terrible. One fan offers a lot of great things. It doesn't need to be a source of power. It can be a tool she uses and a way to break the monotony of hand motions. Rather then a major design element it should have been moved to a minor element rather then utterly removed. One that can enforce the Dragon by having a dragon design on the fan's surface.

Further keeping one fan means that Karma still has a Fan. It maintains a major element her old skin has.

The big issue with the fans was they where very poorly utilized. I mean seriously. You give someone a fan and don't have them snapping it open and closed all the time? Have you held a fan that can open and close? You fiddle with them. It's fun. It's something to keep the hands busy while the mind works or zones out.

Sir Bunnykins

03-06-2013

Will Sakura Karma have a Mantle of Decorum? Because I really hope she doesn't, those things look too big and clunky.