Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I want my loss forgiven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Balloonhands

03-06-2013

Or at least a statement from Riot addressing the fact that thousands of people have received undeserved losses from the servers going down over the past 24 hours.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-06-2013

Hi Balloon,

I've spoken with staff about this incident. It appears that a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage during this time. This would have affected incoming clients from those ISPs or served by those backbones.

Because it is not a server side issue or under Riot's purview, Loss Forgiveness was not activated.

Havenbrook

03-06-2013

Good luck, they dont like to give out things, or resolve something that is not "their fault". It feels really bad that " a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage" which affected EVERYONE on the server last night, and they blame it on someone else "its not our fault". yes lets point the finger so your company doesnt HAVE to do anything for your customers.

Binesman

03-06-2013

I had this exact same thing happen to me, and unless Mr Balloonhands lives in Waterloo, Ontario, I don't think it was a 3rd party ISP issue.

Havenbrook

03-06-2013

I live in Texas, and so does my friend who had servers go down. Also my friend in North Dakota had this SAME problem. It must have been RIOTS ISP!

Proxiehunter

03-06-2013

Quote:
Aregionius:
Hi Balloon,

I've spoken with staff about this incident. It appears that a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage during this time. This would have affected incoming clients from those ISPs or served by those backbones.

Because it is not a server side issue or under Riot's purview, Loss Forgiveness was not activated.

Unacceptable. As is a Riot employee not coming here and saying so themselves.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-06-2013

Quote:
Havenbrook:
Good luck, they dont like to give out things, or resolve something that is not "their fault". It feels really bad that " a major 3rd party ISP had a maintenance outage" which affected EVERYONE on the server last night,

So to expand on this a bit.

Major backbone ISPs control the connection routes for players throughout the world to specific locations. When they have connection issues, it can affect players worldwide. While that is a significant number of players, it does not affect everyone and because it's not Riot side controlled or notified, it makes it far more difficult to diagnose or provide a correction within an easy time frame.

Quote:
and they blame it on someone else "its not our fault". yes lets point the finger so your company doesnt HAVE to do anything for your customers.
Unfortunately, even if it had been a server-side issue, there's not a lot more that could be done.

Loss Prevention can only be activated manually and is only available systemwide, meaning that even if it's only a single server having issues, if Loss Prevention is activated all players receive half bonuses for wins and no penalty for losses. So the threshold for Loss Prevention is fairly high to ensure the least amount of disruption.

Individual account data such as losses, leaves or losing a promotional series cannot be changed, even if a loss is the result of Riot Side server issues. This data is hardlocked to ensure the system is not compromised and is not able to be modified.

Proxiehunter

03-06-2013

Quote:
Aregionius:
Loss Prevention can only be activated manually and is only available systemwide, meaning that even if it's only a single server having issues, if Loss Prevention is activated all players receive half bonuses for wins and no penalty for losses. So the threshold for Loss Prevention is fairly high to ensure the least amount of disruption.

This more than passes the threshold.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-06-2013

That determination is really outside of my scope and the scope of Player Support.

Riot literally has Network Operation Center folks monitoring player connections and network/server stability at all times, 24 hours a day.

They're the ones who make the call for what needs to be activated based on the data and the pros and cons of who will be affected.

The Hellsage

03-06-2013

Quote:
Aregionius:
So to expand on this a bit.

Major backbone ISPs control the connection routes for players throughout the world to specific locations. When they have connection issues, it can affect players worldwide. While that is a significant number of players, it does not affect everyone and because it's not Riot side controlled or notified, it makes it far more difficult to diagnose or provide a correction within an easy time frame.

Unfortunately, even if it had been a server-side issue, there's not a lot more that could be done.

Individual account data such as losses, leaves or losing a promotional series cannot be changed, even if a loss is the result of Riot Side server issues. This data is hardlocked to ensure the system is not compromised and is not able to be modified.

My only issue with that logic is that while, yes, it was a third-party ISP issue (as I expected, something beyond Riot's control), the fact of the matter is that this tsunami of disconnects and leaves that occurred last night happened to players across multiple parts of North America, independent of what ISP the player is using for their connections.

In my opinion, Loss Prevented/Forgiven should be instantiated for the affected games last night due to the widespread geographical that the disconnects affected, and the sheer magnitude of players that lost games, were socked with a Leave, or were knocked out of a Ranked promotion series as a result of last night's incident.