Hiring Experienced Game Designers

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stealthblimp

04-03-2013

So I'm still in college, but I want to get into the industry with a focus more on improving player experience while playing. For instance, asking what "feels good/bad," and figuring out ways to improve from what they say. What positions in a company would you suggest and if you were hiring in them, what would be some basic requirements?

Garlygunto

04-04-2013

whoo you can join riot, then you can contribute to making league of legends more unbalanced and unfair.
This game has gotten so fuking bad, its terrible

iPatt II

04-04-2013

where do i sign up

xCezium

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
This is actually something I ran into a lot at GDC that I think is a misunderstanding many hopefuls might have! Not calling your post out (it's fine! ) but I want to help out a few folks who might be thinking about Game Design as a career.

One common misconception is that game design is an "ideas" job. While there's certainly some ideation involved, great ideas are not terribly special or even difficult - lots and lots of people have great ideas! What's actually difficult is expert problem solving - a skill that's very different.

So, let's take a look at a simple hypothetical; players are giving you feedback that champion X is overpowered, and it seems to be doing well in tournaments. So, what to do?

I think a simple answer comes in the form of "well here's some ideas of how to nerf it" or "just leave it and let people learn to deal with it." Decent sentiments, but definitely not part of problem solving. Digging on this actually looks more similar to an engineered problem-solving approach. That is, solving the problem is a byproduct of having developed a strong ability to craft a way to actually solve problems.

While I could (and often do..) talk for hours about this, the core of this is about asking tons of effective questions, strong analytical and logic skills, and digging to root causes as opposed to symptoms (though symptoms can start you on an investigation to find real problems). At the end, good designers don't start with answers, rather they start with questions. Great designers question things about their ability to solve problems, and solve the problems within their own problem-solving. This is why game design is flexible and changing; it's always learning new things.

I do want to thank you for this post, though, because GDC reminded me how little this is shared, even on some college-level design curriculum. For those interested, this might give a hint on what skills to develop to be successful!
why you quote my application o.o well i hope me putting all this stuff in my application from when i applied helps

vvigglytuff

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Crunch as is traditionally understood has not been something the design team has experienced since before LoL shipped.
Right, that's why you have mandatory 60hr work weeks.

Null Signature

04-05-2013

Riot seems like a pretty **** tier gaming company to work for.

Platypus King

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null Signature View Post
Riot seems like a pretty **** tier gaming company to work for.
Try working for SoE. We use to call the place "farm league" because it's where programmers/QA went to get their first job and get experience before moving to a better company.

UmbraTenebra

04-06-2013

I wonder if Morello or Zileas are still checking the posts on here. Hopefully they are; I have a question for them.

I submitted my resume online for the content designer position and would like to follow up on that application. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear any kind of general phone number or email address on the Riot website that will allow me to do that (or I just can't find it). Is it possible to follow up on an application? Or do I just have to keep my fingers crossed that my resume gets some attention?

Damocracy

04-06-2013

I think Bioware will probably be laying off more staff due their horrible customer support and failed new login system. Maybe poach from them.

Jreams

04-06-2013

U