Attitude...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0shi

11-01-2010

Well, I'm new.
I'm not particularly good. There, that's out of the way.
But what I wanted to talk about was the attitude I've seen from other players, in the enormous six real games I played, people have insulted their team members in four of these as the loss became inevitable (twice when I was winning, twice while losing).

I've seen a LITTLE of this in SC2, but it's generally frowned upon and unusual. In WoW it's relatively common, but very undirected and general as a rule (Ally sux omg we always lose ).

Is this behaviour to be expected in LoL?

Orharnah

11-01-2010

There are a few people with god complex's or attitude problems in LoL as there are in every game I've played, and they will become fewer and farther between the higher level you become.

Zithi

11-01-2010

It does get better, but as the game is very team oriented people have the unfortunate tendency to fire off salvos at their teammates to reassure themselves that they aren't the reason they are losing (always easier to blame the other guy). Best to ignore them (type "/ignore username") and add players you get along with to your friends list and queue up with them when you can.

ShadyGrave

11-01-2010

this is the nature of online games. i will tell you when you hit 30 the atmosphere dramatically improves. i only play with one of these players every once in a while. i recommend the ignore option, and if they are extremely rude, there is a report option you can use after the game.

Mystfyre

11-01-2010

Its not uncommon to have games with one or two people that just can't help but act a fool. You can solve this on your team by making friends and queuing with them, but sometimes you'll run into opponents that can neither win nor lose gracefully. Using the ignore option is helpful here, if you're not into countertrolling.

JokerSmilez

11-01-2010

I recently started playing LoL as several of my RL friends play the game. This past weekend, they were all playing together and had a group of 5 and are all level 27-30 so I was kind of on my own, which was fine.

However, this was the first time I had played a game (out of about 40 or more) where I wasn't playing with at least 1 person I knew on my team. After 3 games (all loses), I decided to call it a night because I wasn't having any fun.

Every time the game started to swing in the other team's favor, my team would turn on each other, ripping into each other for one thing or another. It was pathetic and made me never want to play this game with people I didn't know (thankfully I've had good coaching, so I wasn't the cause of the 3 losses or the target for the verbal abuse).

Because I'm a new player, I didn't say anything to either side of the arguments that all 3 games devolved into, but it was very disheartening to see that LoL is so much like every other online multiplayer game (if you're not playing with friends, don't bother).

It's good to hear that this changes when you get to higher levels (I'm only level 12 at the moment), and we'll see if that's actually true. Thankfully, I'm able to play most of the time with friends so this isn't that common an issue for me. Hopefully the "report" feature is effective, as I've been reporting any player that resorts to homophobic slurs/excessive swearing/otherwise offensive language/attitude.

WeAreLegion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2010

Not only should you be able to keep a cool head in the face of aggression from opponents and allies, you need to be able to lead allies and keep a thick skin when harassed by opponents.
Show superiority in leadership by seducing your allies into feeling good and working together. That is they key to overall success. Immediately squash any escalating rivalry between players in your pack. Remember to channel rising aggression into assertiveness.

Repeat to yourself: "I want to win, I want it more than my opponents, I want it more than my allies" while refusing to see any negativity in situations. 98% of winning the game is prediction and leadership when facing equally skilled opponents.

Yamikun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2010

Well I have around 700 games played and having allies turn on each other is a rare occasion. What seems to be very common place is enemies either being smug when they get a kill or two or being offensive when they die a couple of times. In both of these occasions however the best way to deal with them is to annoy them as much as you can. Not verbally but in-game. If its a lost game ask your team to just focus him to annoy him. If he is acting smug the whole team will prolly want to make him mad. If you are winning focus him again unless its a close call where you play seriously. But yeah most of the time the "stay silent & annoy the hell out of him" trick works

Akrotheos

11-01-2010

I won't lie; yes. Be prepared for rage-quitters and leavers. Unfortunately, a lot of people have this attitude (I'm at LV23 and have seen so many rude players; I know what I'm talking about). However, there are good people out there. Just be patient and keep it up; you will get good and meet good people.