Playing to abuse OP things until they get nerfed is the norm now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
Hashinshin wants to play AD Casters, and considers Atma's bad.

And yeah, he's very polemic, except he has nothing by polemics to back them up.
There you go, using big words like polemic as always. What the **** is polemic?

DiscworldDeath

03-04-2013

:3

You also quoted my typo, now I feel bad ;-)

lbgsloan

03-04-2013

Oh, Hashinshin. That's the guy who rants for ten paragraphs without really making his point, right?

Also, he seems to be a bit behind the loop because I'm pretty sure there have been people who do nothing but abuse 'OPs' to win in every game since the Atari 2600. Remember people who cleared Double Dragon with one credit by spamming the elbow move on everything until it died? It was boring to do, and boring to watch. But much like spamming a known OP champion for wins until Riot nerfs them, it works.

For those who didn't get the reference, please move along. I am apparently getting old.

Golly

03-04-2013

"Just how far behind is Riot's balance team?"

I'd like to address some issues here. I know most people don't take this guy seriously, but I have a beef with this particular thought process.

Item balance is a large way they balance the game overall. Small tweaks can have a huge impact on the meta, as this can be seen in other hotly contested balance changes in games like StarCraft.

In StarCraft, the changes happen on a much longer scale, allowing the meta to adjust itself. People adapt to the way balance happens and create new strategies that normally wouldn't be considered at first.

In Riot's case balance changes happen very quickly. Items get nerfed, buffed, so people tend to exploit weaknesses and don't bother to think about how something can counter it. I actually like the place that the item balance is on SR. If their team is stacking warmogs? Get % items like BOTRK and liandrys. If they stack armor? BC/LW. See someone building BC/LW? Time to get some health items.

This is the way that item balance needs to be. A reactionary in-game decision and not some pre-set "build this, then this, then this."

The problem is, is that the meta never has a chance to mature to this point because item balance happens so quick.

If Riot just let it be for a while, people would begin to figure this out and you wouldn't have the huge overreaction to BOTRK that we are seeing right now.

Kholdstare13

03-04-2013

BRK has never been well balanced. I still say remove it, put Kitae's in Summoner's Rift as a placeholder, and work on a GOOD remake of MBR.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare13 View Post
BRK has never been well balanced. I still say remove it, put Kitae's in Summoner's Rift as a placeholder, and work on a GOOD remake of MBR.
I was going to put a ftfy, but there is no real way to remove the derp from your post. The previous incarnation of BORK was fine and was beginning to see play.

DiscworldDeath

03-04-2013

They wanted to make BoRK good for ADCs, less useful for AD Casters/Bruisers, who just stack AD.

It IS better for ADCs now than the other roles, but it's bloated in general. AD Casters should still avoid it.
Thing is, who was the item even designed for to begin with? Prolly ADCs vs Bruisers, since that's what it was originally intended for, same with MBR - except bruisers using it on squishies was better than the other way around.

BoRK was sort of fine before, but more marginal on its target group, which is why it got changed. But yeah, ADCs were slowly building it more as well.

Death8630

03-04-2013

It's really true. You play certain heroes you win more often. You buy certain items you win more often. The game definitely requires less skill than it used to.

Orphane

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx87 View Post
I was going to put a ftfy, but there is no real way to remove the derp from your post. The previous incarnation of BORK was fine and was beginning to see play.
And then Riot went and gave it a max health nuke

It's like they didn't learn anything from DFG :/

Zydrate Vials

03-04-2013

That's kind of how games work though. Once players figure out the Meta, some new balance comes up to make people rethink things.

MMO's do this all the time. WoW is almost a decade old, and barely goes a month without changing some skills around.