Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[CLIENT][CRITICAL]False Firewall Error

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheXthDoctor

03-03-2013

IMPORTANT:
If you are having the following problem on a college campus, follow the instructions here: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20749172-connecting-through-a-restricted-network

That link leads to a list of ports and IP addresses required by the game. Contact a network administrator on your campus and have them make sure all the needed ports are open and exceptions are made for the IP addresses listed. This is the fix that ultimately worked for me.

Reposting from Bug Report forums because I have the same problem on PBE:

Quote:
I cannot connect to any normal or custom SR matches. Co-op AI was working earlier, but I somewhat doubt it'll work again by this point if I try.

Champion select goes by as normal, but when the loading screen is supposed to show up, I only get a black screen followed by the following error message: http://i.imgur.com/7ejtanI.png.

Currently my team is stuck without a Draven because I can't connect to the game. Is there any available fix so this doesn't happen again?

edit: just to clarify, I have checked the firewall, LoL has access at all points. At surface level, everything should be working, but it obviously isn't. Prior to today, I've had the same problem with the PBE client (and not the live client) and connecting to some games. If I had to guess, the issue is with the Quinn patch, because I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem on my end.

edit2: the post game window appeared despite having another client window already open (the patcher). Obviously we lost, but after going back to the home screen I got and error saying the client could not connect to "Maestro" and it immediately crashed the client.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled. I have rebooted my computer. I have repaired the client. Absolutely nothing is working. The issue isn't in the firewall. I can no longer connect to any game mode. I have heard nothing from Riot, and despite the numerous other people I see that have the same problem no one has yet acknowled the existence of the issue or that it is being looked into.

TheXthDoctor

03-03-2013

bump

canopy

03-04-2013

I get this all the time too. On both servers. It's really inconvenient when it happens multiple times. (I either get this, a complete crash, or a bugsplat even after taking out all of the league processes with the task manager.)

TheXthDoctor

03-04-2013

bump

Wards win games

03-04-2013

Have you checked the various ports league uses to transmit data between servers? Even if your PC based firewall isn't interfering, a router firewall could be, and since it's happening with both clients chances are this is something on your end, or your ISP's end (Probably not what you wanna hear, but I can still try to help find a fix!).

Both clients have unique installation and connection methods as the PBE has it's own server, so if it's happening on both; something non-league related is going on.

Edit: start here: https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20133372-Port-Forwarding

Wards win games

03-04-2013

Also, pay attention to the bottom text in the article if you aren't familiar with port forwarding:

Quote:
If you have problems following the guide:

This website: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm is dedicated to Port Forwarding. However, please note that successful use of this site requires no purchase. The website currently hosts a rather aggressive advertisement for an unneeded piece of software. You can skip this advertisement in the upper right corner of the window. Select your specific router from the list and it will take you to a step-by-step guide with pictures showing you how to forward the proper ports. Be sure to check your port list against this article when you are finished.

TheXthDoctor

03-04-2013

Quote:
XenGaming:
Both clients have unique installation and connection methods as the PBE has it's own server, so if it's happening on both; something non-league related is going on.

Except that this problem was *only* on PBE prior to Quinn's release, and now it's on both clients following her release. I also have doubts that it's the ISP, because I'm running on the school's internet, and no one I know has had the same problem on identical internet.

I'll still check out the links just in case, in the meanwhile.

edit: ran into a snag here
Quote:
Access your router's configuration page:

1. Open a web browser (Examples: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
2. Place your Default Gateway into the URL Address bar.

Doing so sends me to an authentication page common to the school's network (from there, in order to access the internet, I have to put in my personal school account name/password), but not anything like the following steps describe... Unless there's a way around this, I can't finish the port forwarding.

Wards win games

03-04-2013

Quote:
TheXthDoctor:
Except that this problem was *only* on PBE prior to Quinn's release, and now it's on both clients following her release. I also have doubts that it's the ISP, because I'm running on the school's internet, and no one I know has had the same problem on identical internet.

I'll still check out the links just in case, in the meanwhile.

edit: ran into a snag here

Doing so sends me to an authentication page common to the school's network (from there, in order to access the internet, I have to put in my personal school account name/password), but not anything like the following steps describe... Unless there's a way around this, I can't finish the port forwarding.

Which school if you don't mind me asking? This is relevant because then I can see if others at the school that you may not be aware of have had similar issues.

If you're confident the schools network can't possibly be the perpetrator; I would normally suggest a repair, but you said you already tried a fresh install.

I understand the frustration not getting a direct response from Riot in your posts; have you tried submitting a support ticket to get a direct connection to someone on their team? This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, only 1 person has referred to firewall issues on the Bug and connection forums similar to yours, which leads me to believe this is something on your schools network. I know the first thing that comes to mind is "Well it didn't before....", but that's actually not relevant in these types of issues, because there are so many factors that play into account for network transmissions.

As for logins @ your school, there should be a technical administrator you can contact by school email or phone to either A) obtain access, or B) ask for the ports to be opened for your network login C) verify that the proper ports are open.

I have this big long story about my own experiences with technical problems like this, but I'm sure you don't want to read that big-ol'-wall of text. Again, probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I'll do my best to work through this one with ya. Just know that 90% of my resolution attempts are going to revolve around your network, as if it was on riots end the issue would be much more widespread than just 1-2 users across 2+million.

TheXthDoctor

03-04-2013

Quote:
XenGaming:
Which school if you don't mind me asking? This is relevant because then I can see if others at the school that you may not be aware of have had similar issues.

If you're confident the schools network can't possibly be the perpetrator; I would normally suggest a repair, but you said you already tried a fresh install.

I understand the frustration not getting a direct response from Riot in your posts; have you tried submitting a support ticket to get a direct connection to someone on their team? This doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, only 1 person has referred to firewall issues on the Bug and connection forums similar to yours, which leads me to believe this is something on your schools network. I know the first thing that comes to mind is "Well it didn't before....", but that's actually not relevant in these types of issues, because there are so many factors that play into account for network transmissions.

As for logins @ your school, there should be a technical administrator you can contact by school email or phone to either A) obtain access, or B) ask for the ports to be opened for your network login C) verify that the proper ports are open.

I have this big long story about my own experiences with technical problems like this, but I'm sure you don't want to read that big-ol'-wall of text. Again, probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I'll do my best to work through this one with ya. Just know that 90% of my resolution attempts are going to revolve around your network, as if it was on riots end the issue would be much more widespread than just 1-2 users across 2+million.

John Brown University.

Related thread where several others have the same error: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3183576

edit: If by "support ticket" you mean reporting the bug through the client, I have done that. If you mean something else, please link me to where I can do that.

Wards win games

03-04-2013

Quote:
TheXthDoctor:
John Brown University.

Related thread where several others have the same error: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3183576

Yea, I saw the thread.

None of those folks are actually having the same issue as yourself. Similar =/= the same.

The first user Brackjews actually confirmed that his similar issue was a port forwarding problem on page 2, other users report functionality on various services that you don't have access too.

Another user referenced that maestro errors were the cause (Which is very possible as these also relate to network configuration) 3 of the other users who thought they were having the same issue, have match history's full of games with no leaves, indicating they were able to restore their connection to the game without any changes on riots end (Meaning they changed something themselves and it fixed).

https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20132793-firewall-configuration

This article explains why league can work 1 day, and upon a new patch it breaks. It's not that functionality has changed, it's that various internet IP addresses used could be different than what was active in the last client, as well as a slue of other network resource requirements, which would still be on the users end.

I noticed in your post you did a netalyzr scan from berkley, do you happen to have a link to the results?