I just watched few DominateDominion games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eloquid

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericke View Post
Their casters are wonderful aren't they? I feel like they could use a little bit more sass and fierceness though for maybe a week .
Nah, they're ok the way they are, I don't think we need another commentator getting sterile because he messed his circulation yelling PEN ta keEEEEEEEEL.

naotasan

03-04-2013

Fun fact: Dominion is too hard to cast, therefore the casters who are bad at their job start at SR.

Why do you think Chobra and Gandair are so badass? :P

Fancy Wolf

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
We just need Gandair back. Then all will be good.
Or I could get up there and cast again, but then the stream would be alot of "Holy BEEP that kog just BEEEP up that oriana that mother BEEEPPin flash was amazing! the plays!!!!"

Golly

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Wolf View Post
Or I could get up there and cast again, but then the stream would be alot of "Holy BEEP that kog just BEEEP up that oriana that mother BEEEPPin flash was amazing! the plays!!!!"
Have you thought about trying to watch your language? I'm not saying it's an issue for me, because I don't care. But you could offer a lot more to the community if you thought about working on it.

KaWraith

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
Regardless of how big your organization and its fans are, anything which compromises the top level competition is going to be a bad thing. In the event, however unlikely, that dom or TT gets ranked play and full esport support, the last thing Riot wants is to weaken their pro circuit by drawing players away from SR. Ranked or no, that's why you'll never see TT or Dom get Riot's full esport support. They probably won't mind if their pros play around between maps, but ultimately the focus shouldn't stray.

As an example, and this is a bit of a stretch, I know, stay with me: imagine if a new type of basketball came out with a circular court, two extra hoops, and only 3 pointers and dunks counted for points. Imagine the new game gets pretty popular, not as much as regular basketball, but there's quite a few new teams who spring up specifically for that court.

Being mostly the same game, a regular pro basketball team could probably come in and hold their own, if not win outright. But to do so would require them to restructure their way of thinking about bball, just a little. The NBA doesn't want to support the new court, because it wants it's players to be totally honed for regular bball. They don't want to deal with "this team might not be as solid as normal, because they've been playing the other type of bball". Or even worse, "This team is better for playing the other bball, and it shows, and now all the standard teams need practice/leagues at both, or else they'll fall behind". It's much more simple for the NBA just to ignore the new court, stick with the old, and stay focused on what they know.

Thus, SR remains dominant, regardless of how much support Dom or TT gets on the side. Because you aren't drawing from a different a wholly different pool of top end players, Riot doesn't want to risk splitting or distracting their pro circuit in any way, as that might compromise the circuit, and it just might not (big maybe, here) be big enough to sustain multiple maps.
The pros will go where Riot puts the money. If riot puts money in more modes, pros will play them, or specialize. but you are forgetting where the money comes from in sports: its the fans. The fans will come for a show that they enjoy. If New basketball were way more exciting and sold more tickets, and brought in more viewers and more money, old basketball would get shoved down as new basketball took over. To a certain extent this happened historically: a basketball coach invented American football: for certain they have slightly different fans, and their seasons are different: but which sport has higher ratings and more money? It's football. Why? because people think it's a more exciting and intense game. Fans=money=everything. the pro's are just whoever is good at the game the fans want to see.
Dominion matches are faster, more exciting, more action, and "higher scoring" (big KDA numbers). If riot was smarter, they would have supported the dominion launch better, and had dominion tournaments that made Dota2 and Hon look downright boring in comparison.

Koravel

03-04-2013

I would also say that I don't think Stralucire's analogy holds up entirely.

Unlike with this new sport, I feel pretty confident that any of the top Dominion teams would annihilate a pro team should they just hop in.

Obviously, the pro teams in SR are naturally talented in the game, so if they were given enough time to prepare, then it would be a match. But if they just hopped in? They'd get crushed.

This would actually be an awesome way to get people involved in dominion, of course Riot would never do it, but have one of the pro teams play PECS or Point Defense and stream it.

On the topic that Eloquid brought up, I never really got why Riot wouldn't want to make Dominion more popular. What gets the crowd going the most at a SR tourney? When people are getting the kills, or setting up ganks on a lane, etc. There is no "Oh my god, look at the great play there, last hitting not one, not two, but three minions!" Dominion is all about team kills, a crowd who is used to SR would absolutely love it.

Eloquid

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koravel34 View Post
I would also say that I don't think Stralucire's analogy holds up entirely.

Unlike with this new sport, I feel pretty confident that any of the top Dominion teams would annihilate a pro team should they just hop in.

Funny, yesterday I played two SR games after a long time, just to check if it's disgustingly boring as I remember. It is actually, but I noticed I completely dominated (ha, pun both games, and was much better then I remember on that map. Laning is peace of cake in comparison to constant skirmishes on Dominion, I felt like I just can't die. Whole game is less intense. After few games on Dominion that in sum last as one SR games, I often feel almost exhausted.

So, maybe there is something to it. Dominion is like condensed LoL experience. You get much more experience in same amount of time.

Warmeat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2013

Worst case Scenario DOTA 2 Steals Riots Map ideas and goes Tourneys first.I think riot is milking 5v5 for all it can, people are right watching pros play 5v5 is not fun. Dominion is a better more thought out mode, DOTA was like a selfmade game that the creator made and it feels like the creator could beat anyone since he made the map and knew the META. DOTA got huge but it still feels like the map is made to cater to those who knows the rules not actually are good at playing said Champion. Dominion is Balanced like Sports should be. it can be Close 1-0 or a blowout 420-0. feels everyone has a chance and it's not over just cause one player died to much.

Eloquid

03-05-2013

This is half a joke, but only half: all things considered, I wonder if Dota would do better job at managing these maps then Riot. I'm afraid they're simply blinded by illusion of importance of SR that is being blown out of all proportions. On one hand, I understand balancing changes are needed, but in these amounts? Nerfs to Ryze, being just one example of nerf nobody ever asked for, while gamers scream for nerfs that never happen? I'd rather have game slightly out of balance that I can get used to, then having to learn the game again and again after every series of nerfs (shouldn't plural of that be "nerves" anyway