I just watched few DominateDominion games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eloquid

03-03-2013

On twitch, and can't believe how fun it is to watch and listen to really high quality commentary (who does that anyway, Feedski?). Every secon there's something important and fun happening. It's far more fun to watch than SR games (I tried to watch pros these days on lcs, but I didn't endure even one game to the end, although I suppose that should be the best what this game has to offer in e-sports department, according to Riot).

Makes me sad there's no ranked Dominion. Dom games are far more spectator's sport than SR games, too bad Riot doesn't realize that. Or they do, but they're afraid they would finally have to invest their resources in this map and don't want to dissolve their stale SR conception when ppl realize how fun Dominion is?

Whatever. I'm just sad and angry at Riot and their ignorance. Makes you wanna scream when we all know exactly what Dominion needs, and nobody listens.

That's all.

lbgsloan

03-03-2013

Never understood why, in their push to make LoL a legitimate esport, they abandoned Dominion. Watching people farm CS is boring and watching tournament games where the score is 2-2 20 minutes into the game is dead boring. Dominion skips everything that's boring for a SR spectator to watch (farming, little to no PvP interaction unless a jungler is involved, 1-2 teamfights and then the game is over). However Riot seems to be terrified of making any mode other than SR legitimate.

As bad as Dominion is, just look at how badly they mismanged TT; they spent the time and resources to fully remake the map and added new items just for that mode (that mostly carried over to CS), then proceeded to leave it to die again. Where's the 3v3 tournaments? Where's the TT featured games? Why aren't they pressuring the teams they're giving paychecks to, to steam some TT ranked once in a while? I don't know at this point if it's just gross incompetance, or if they're actually afraid the general public will think LoL is 'too casual' if it doesn't focus on the boring old DOTA style map.

Eloquid

03-03-2013

Yes, watching SR rift (Dominion is at least more pretty to look at) with 2-2 at minute 20 (that's exactly what happens in pro games) makes me wanna stick needle in my eye.

As you said, I really think keyword here is fear. And moving along the lines of least resistance. I know this may sound ridiculous to die hard SR fan, but Dom games are so much more attractive to watch and I think even Riot relizes that. If Dom became competitive sport, what are the consequences? Do they risk losing part of established base of team supporters, players, I don't know whats? It's probably their fear of risking what's already established and fear of change and real diversity when it comes to e-sports, rather than anything else.

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2013

the last two DDs have been casted by l3ird and volandum, before that it was skillfactory for a while, and then gandair before that. If you go way back, then chobra would be on there too. usually they say who they are at the beginning.

I also think it is more exciting, while doing the post game review of our round 2 game last night, i counted 15 major engagements, either 4v4 teamfights, or heavy commit gank/split push scenarios etc. In an under 30 minute game. It would have to be a very unusual SR game to come close to that number in a normal game.

Eloquid

03-03-2013

I noticed commentators change, but it's always good, interesting, and they point out things I wouldn't notice myself which is great. All in all, great learning experience. You get to see more games, more team compositions, more champions involvement in real fights, so you can learn their proper positioning, use of abilities etc.

I don't think public would think LoL is too casual if there was ranked Dominon supported by Riot. Their perception of Dominon would change then from casual map for trying out champs and kill time to something more serious. Public perception of Dominion can't be better than how Riot perceive it and treat it themselves.

Stralucire

03-03-2013

Regardless of how big your organization and its fans are, anything which compromises the top level competition is going to be a bad thing. In the event, however unlikely, that dom or TT gets ranked play and full esport support, the last thing Riot wants is to weaken their pro circuit by drawing players away from SR. Ranked or no, that's why you'll never see TT or Dom get Riot's full esport support. They probably won't mind if their pros play around between maps, but ultimately the focus shouldn't stray.

As an example, and this is a bit of a stretch, I know, stay with me: imagine if a new type of basketball came out with a circular court, two extra hoops, and only 3 pointers and dunks counted for points. Imagine the new game gets pretty popular, not as much as regular basketball, but there's quite a few new teams who spring up specifically for that court.

Being mostly the same game, a regular pro basketball team could probably come in and hold their own, if not win outright. But to do so would require them to restructure their way of thinking about bball, just a little. The NBA doesn't want to support the new court, because it wants it's players to be totally honed for regular bball. They don't want to deal with "this team might not be as solid as normal, because they've been playing the other type of bball". Or even worse, "This team is better for playing the other bball, and it shows, and now all the standard teams need practice/leagues at both, or else they'll fall behind". It's much more simple for the NBA just to ignore the new court, stick with the old, and stay focused on what they know.

Thus, SR remains dominant, regardless of how much support Dom or TT gets on the side. Because you aren't drawing from a different a wholly different pool of top end players, Riot doesn't want to risk splitting or distracting their pro circuit in any way, as that might compromise the circuit, and it just might not (big maybe, here) be big enough to sustain multiple maps.

Herboss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2013

This thread makes me sad because is so full of truth

Dom is not only more fun to play over SR but so much more fun to watch as a spectator but it'll never get the attention from Riot it deserves

Genericke

03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloquid View Post
On twitch, and can't believe how fun it is to watch and listen to really high quality commentary (who does that anyway, Feedski?). Every secon there's something important and fun happening. It's far more fun to watch than SR games (I tried to watch pros these days on lcs, but I didn't endure even one game to the end, although I suppose that should be the best what this game has to offer in e-sports department, according to Riot).

Makes me sad there's no ranked Dominion. Dom games are far more spectator's sport than SR games, too bad Riot doesn't realize that. Or they do, but they're afraid they would finally have to invest their resources in this map and don't want to dissolve their stale SR conception when ppl realize how fun Dominion is?

Whatever. I'm just sad and angry at Riot and their ignorance. Makes you wanna scream when we all know exactly what Dominion needs, and nobody listens.

That's all.
Their casters are wonderful aren't they? I feel like they could use a little bit more sass and fierceness though for maybe a week .

HaIfhearted

03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericke View Post
Their casters are wonderful aren't they? I feel like they could use a little bit more sass and fierceness though for maybe a week .
We just need Gandair back. Then all will be good.

FatMii

03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
We just need Gandair back. Then all will be good.
Yes get Gandair back so we can troll him.