March MCCC - Volryia, the Cleansing Strike.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LeVentNoir

03-02-2013

Quick Hit: Volryia is a melee fighter / assassin. She has a high mobility and overwhelming damage focused around upgraded and rapid auto attacks.

Visuals: Volryia is a tall woman, with white hair and blue streaks. She wears eastern martial arts style clothing, lose top and pants in light blue with white accenting. Her feet and hand are uncovered, and an aura of sparks plays around her hands. Her auto attacks are a variety of rapid strikes and kicks unless Shocking Strike is active, when they become small bolts of electricity, similar to Ryze's.

Lore:

Ionian enlightenment comes in many forms. For some it is a revelation of tranquility. For Volryia it was pain. Fleeing the Noxian invasion in the south of Ionia as a child Volryia had be forced onto the streets, where theft and thuggery were everyday occurrences, even in Ionia. She worked as a street trickster, dazzling onlookers with minor electrical magic while others stole from them. One day, Volryia was captured by the guards, and given a harsh choice, reform and seek enlightenment, or simply be banished.

The path to enlightenment was a long and painful one for Volryia. She joined a mountaintop monastery where meditation in the open, exposed to the elements was thought to bring the seeker closer to nature. It was one still night on the mountaintop when Volryia was struck by lighting. The mind opening pain revealed that even nature will strike what needed to be cleansed. Returning to the monks, Volryia appealed to learn martial forms so that she too could cleanse what was wrong in the world. After diligent study, the monks proclaimed there was nothing more to teach. She had masted the forms of rapid combat they knew. Volryia replied that she would learn in combat, and applied to the Institute of War.

MCCC Story Lore:

Volryia was a wandering figure of justice, in her own frighteningly rapid and violent manner. She cleared dens of scum and havens of criminals throughout towns and villages along the eastern edges of Valoran. However, with the coming of the rising darkness she found herself fighting more and more powerful enemies. It was as if a great plan was coming together. Volryia returned to Ionia, to seek council with those who could shed more light. Irelia and Soraka granted her audience, and long discussion lead to the conclusion that there was a force massing. One not of this world.

For Volryia this revealed itself to be her greatest challenge, and yet, fiercest drive. For an assault of things not of this world was the very epitome of what needed to be cleansed. Volryia redoubled her training, and poured all her efforts into learning about what could be coming. She even abandoned her stalwart vigilance against evil and corruption, because as bad as those dens were, they were Runeterran, and thus, could wait in the face of a greater evil.

Stats

Health 452 (+101)
Health regen. 7.0 (+1.1)
Fury 100
Attack damage 55 (+3.5)
Attack speed 0.675 (+3.5%)
Armor 14.5 (+3.1)
Magic res. 30 (+1.25)
Range 125
Mov. speed 350

These stats are in the ballpark for moderately healthy melee champions like Kassadin, Tryndamere or Fiora with Attack damages and speeds between Melee DPS champions like Trynd and Ranged ADC's.

Abilitites:

Volryia uses the fury resource system. Volryia gains 5 Fury per auto attack, 5 every time she applies any kind of CC, and 10 when she kills a unit. When out of combat for 5 seconds, Volryia loses 10 Fury every second.

Passive: Nerve Strikes. Volryia's strikes carry the shock of lighting, disabling those struck. Each time an enemy takes damage from Volryia, the gain a shock stack. If they reach 4 stacks, they will be snared for 1.2 seconds. Stacks last for 2 seconds, and are consumed on being snared. This can only effect the same target once every 6 seconds.

Q: Shocking Strike. Channeling her rage at the unclean world, Volryia starts to fire lightning from her fingers. For 0.2 seconds per 5 current fury, max 4 seconds, Volryia gains 500 range on her auto attacks, and deals a bonus 30/40/50/60/70 magic damage. Cooldown: 20/19/18/17/16 seconds.

W: Electrified Body. Volryia brings the electricity in her to her skin, speeding up her attacks and damaging foes who strike her.
Passive: Each basic attack Volryia makes grants her a stack of Electrified Body, increasing her attack speed by 0.05% per stack per Fury point. Maxes at 21 stacks, +105% attack speed at 100 Fury. Stacks are lost on death.
Active: Volryia consumes all Electrified Body stacks to grant a 5% per stack chance to place a 1.5 second snare on sources of damage. This chance to snare lasts for 0.15 seconds per 5 current fury, max 3 seconds and the source has to be within 450 units. It can only effect each target once per activation. Cooldown: 10 seconds.

E: Thousand Strikes. Volryia strikes like lighting, rapidly attacking her target. Volryia's next auto attack will strike 2/3/4/5/6 times, each dealing 0.7 per AD physical damage. This damage benefits from life steal. Cooldown: 12/11/10/9/8 seconds.

R: Bolt from the Blue. Volryia channels for 1.5 seconds, then appears at targeted area 1 second later. (Targeted area is marked at end of channel). Enemies take 450/800/1150(+0.9 per Ability Power) magic damage and are snared for 1.25 seconds. Cooldown: 140/130/120 seconds. Range: 5500. Diameter of AoE: 400.

Gameplay:

Volryia is most at home in top lane, although could be played in mid and bottom. As an auto attack based character, upping attack damage and attack speed is crucial, as it allows her to deal more damage with all her abilities and gain fury faster.

When laning, farming creeps should be easy when your attack speed is boosted due to Electrified Body, and last hitting with Thousand Strikes is easy. When trading in lane, auto attacking until the enemy has become snared then moving away if you are losing, casting Shocking Strike and becoming a ranged character allows you to recover the trade. If you're winning, Shocking Strike can allow you to continue to harass an enemy who is trying to retreat. Thousand Strikes will place large damage on them very quickly, while activating Electrified Body will give you a high chance for escape.

In team fights, Bolt from the Blue is a superb initiate, allowing a long range redeployment with massive damage. Following up with Thousand Strikes will easily shred soft targets at the back of teams, while Shocking Strike gives you the range to quickly engage them if they dodged your Bolt from the Blue. Electrified Body's activation discourages attacking you as you retreat back and your team follows up your engagement.

For itemisation, a starting Long Sword + 2 HP pots allows a quick build into a Vampiric Sceptre, and with the purchase of Merc Boots, her laning phase revolves around lifestealing to sustain with rapid attacks. Mid game, Ravenous Hydra and Infinity Edge allows large amounts of damage to be done to clustered enemies. Purchasing Phantom Dancers and Frozen Mallet give you more attack speed, a bit of damage, and a combination of slow on every attack (increasing your fury very quickly) and survivability.

Counterplay;

Obviously, extended engagements will lead to you being snared. Either being able to tank this damage or strike back with stronger attacks of your own will win these trades. If you are unable to do this, try to hit and run to prevent her snowballing her attacks on you. Volryia lacks ranged poke of nearly any kind, especially in the early game when the cooldowns on Shocking Strike are longer.

Additionally, she is much weaker without Fury, so ganking her when she roams or is has been disengaged for a while will be rewarding.

In team fights, her Bolt from the Blue can easily be a devastating engage, but has a small AoE and should be dodged if possible. When she lands, hitting her with CC will prevent immediate engagement of your softer teammates. If you do miss this CC, she is not overly tough, so bursting her is a good option. Items such as Thornmail and Frozen Heart are especially good against her, as they reduce her auto attacks. Armour in general is effective, as apart from her ultimate, she lacks magic damage.

Notes:

Well this was very fun to write, hope to get feedback on my March MCCC entry!

Changes:

Added 'This can only effect the same target once every 4 seconds." to Nerve Strikes.
Reduced Max duration of Electrified Body to 3 seconds.
Increased the delay between activation of nerve strikes to 6 seconds.
Tweaked Q and E a bit.

LeVentNoir

03-02-2013

Feedback encouraged. I think I've balanced this well, where she is weak unless at mid to high Fury, and possibly scary when she is.

GenMadHatter

03-02-2013

tenacity????? tendancy????

LeVentNoir

03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenMadHatter View Post
tenacity????? tendancy????
What on earth are you on about?

LeVentNoir

03-03-2013

Still looking for feed back, will trade reviews.

LeVentNoir

03-04-2013

Still looking for feedback on this champion, esp since Q might need some work.

Munkey20

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2013

Your fury costs are quite confusing and complicated, you might want to rework them to simplify it. I think it would be better to use 5 fury as a base line for everything because when half your abilities run on 2 decimal points it makes some people that hate math think to much. Examples:

Q = 5 fury 0.1 seconds.
W = 5 fury 0.25% and 5 fury 0.25 second

Few other things. You might need to apply a line in your passive where the snare effect can't occur on the same target for X amount of seconds after effect ends because right now she can easily perma snare someone.

The Q seems okay in its current state to me. But if you have a better idea, go ahead and change it.

How long does her W last? Does it apply to all attacks for a time period or just a specific number of attackers or a specific numbers of snares? We need a duration of the ability to properly tell how powerful it is. If its all attackers get snared it needs a very short duration because, same thing with her passive, its usually not very balanced to be able to nearly shut down an entire team with 1 basic ability like you could do with max stacks of this ability, also apply the line from the passive about chain snaring. If its a specific number of attackers you can have the duration be a little longer so you can have more of a chance to catch them, same as above, no chain snaring. If you want a maximum amount of snares to go off, the duration can be extended like the number of attackers and I think you could leave off the chain snaring line because in a 1v1 situation it could save you and in a team fight if you get focused only a certain amount will go off so faster attackers will eat the chain snares quickly and it won't be as game breaking.

The E is way too powerful in its current state. You activate it and it hits 6 times at once on a really short cooldown. Even if you didn't get much attack speed and had 200 AD that is a chance to deal 1200 damage to a target every 8 seconds.

Originally I thought the ult was too powerful, then I saw your the diameter you have. Its very tiny. Like smaller than Hiemer's grenade hitbox. I think its fine as it is since its about the same damage that a Pantheon can do with a quicker cast time and arrival time but with a much smaller chance to hit.

Lore seems average, if I know Moby he'll more than likely give it a 3/5 which isn't bad. There are areas you could improve on to make it a more compelling story or make it more interesting tho.

If you could take a look at my champion I'd appreciate it:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3189071

LeVentNoir

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkey20 View Post
Your fury costs are quite confusing and complicated, you might want to rework them to simplify it. I think it would be better to use 5 fury as a base line for everything because when half your abilities run on 2 decimal points it makes some people that hate math think to much. Examples:

Q = 5 fury 0.1 seconds.
W = 5 fury 0.25% and 5 fury 0.25 second
Ok, I'll chage the fury to per 5 fury. I had no problem with the maths, but I'll ok with simplifying it.

Quote:
Few other things. You might need to apply a line in your passive where the snare effect can't occur on the same target for X amount of seconds after effect ends because right now she can easily perma snare someone.
Actually, at max attack speed, 4 attacks takes 1.6 seconds to complete. Given how dashes, blinks / flashes work, if you attempt to activate it while snared, it will instantly activate when available. (This is actually exploited against iirc Nunu's ult).
Quote:
The Q seems okay in its current state to me. But if you have a better idea, go ahead and change it.
It allows her to become a quite long ranged character, but then again, is her only ranged ability.

Quote:
How long does her W last?
5 Seconds at 100 Fury, less if less furious. Lasts zero length at 0 fury.

Quote:
Does it apply to all attacks for a time period or just a specific number of attackers or a specific numbers of snares?
All sources of damage have the same chance to be snared. However, they have to be within 450range when the damage is done. All ranged characters have ranges longer than than that, it pretty much only effects melee champions, or people who Volryia has ambushed.

Quote:
We need a duration of the ability to properly tell how powerful it is.
There is one given, it's linear with fury up to 5 seconds at 100 fury. The snare lasts for 1.5 seconds.

Quote:
If its all attackers get snared it needs a very short duration because, same thing with her passive, its usually not very balanced to be able to nearly shut down an entire team with 1 basic ability like you could do with max stacks of this ability, also apply the line from the passive about chain snaring. If its a specific number of attackers you can have the duration be a little longer so you can have more of a chance to catch them, same as above, no chain snaring. If you want a maximum amount of snares to go off, the duration can be extended like the number of attackers and I think you could leave off the chain snaring line because in a 1v1 situation it could save you and in a team fight if you get focused only a certain amount will go off so faster attackers will eat the chain snares quickly and it won't be as game breaking.
Actually, it's her only escape. Simply, it's like Zhonya's but instead of preventing damage, stops sources of damage escaping. While activated, you should simply back off or not attack her.

However, it needs a note that it can only snare each target once per activation. The rational is that a: you need high stacks. b: it's activated by enemies hitting you. So lets look at where it's used. Melee trade. If you're winning, you activate it, and if they hit you, you get to capitalize on their mistake. If you are losing, you activate it, and get a chance to escape. In a team fight, you force the other team to be careful about if you have it active or not, since it will root them if you activate it and they pile on you.

Remember, it needs both full fury and full stacks to be effective. And it consumes the stacks. I might reduce the max time to 3 seconds from 5 though.

Remember the passive as well, activating it at 100 fury causes the loss of a +105% AS buff.

Quote:
The E is way too powerful in its current state. You activate it and it hits 6 times at once on a really short cooldown. Even if you didn't get much attack speed and had 200 AD that is a chance to deal 1200 damage to a target every 8 seconds.
She needs the burst. Q: No extra damage, just range. W: No damage, just high AS. E: Some damage, finally. Remember, it's limited to auto attack range, so can either be used as a strong finisher or a burst starter. And she is an assassin, needs a powerful assassination tool. It's not likely to be used every 8 seconds, since it's melee range. Even when a ranged attacker, it's only once every 16 seconds, due to the CD on being a ranged champion.

Quote:
Originally I thought the ult was too powerful, then I saw your the diameter you have. Its very tiny. Like smaller than Hiemer's grenade hitbox. I think its fine as it is since its about the same damage that a Pantheon can do with a quicker cast time and arrival time but with a much smaller chance to hit.
It is a very small hit. It's massive damage, like a thunderbolt, but gives a chance to dodge, and combined with a Q/E combo, allows for consolation damage. Ulting into a TF, with it's minimal sized marker in the confusion can allow for horrendous precision assassination though.

Quote:
Lore seems average, if I know Moby he'll more than likely give it a 3/5 which isn't bad. There are areas you could improve on to make it a more compelling story or make it more interesting tho.
Well, yeah, I wanted someone who was sort of Lee Sin Cross Varus. A monk who was all pure and so on, but had a duty to clean the world. Sort of Robin hood Cross Clockwork orange. Ultraviolently doing the right thing.

Quote:
If you could take a look at my champion I'd appreciate it:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3189071
I will definitely give a review trade.

LeVentNoir

03-05-2013

Well, I've made some changes, hope this makes it a bit easier to understand.

NobSaiboot

03-05-2013

Let's get right into it.

-Passive- 1.2 seconds of CC is really long for a passive especially in the early game but it works in this case because it's a snare.

-Q- Eh...It's okay but it could be better if it made your AA's deal a little extra damage.

-W- Once again a 1.5 snare is powerful early game. You can easily chain your passive and this for almost 3 seconds of CC. I'd make the snare scale throughout the game starting at 0.5 then make its way up to 1.5. Other then that it's pretty good.

-E- 7 auto-attacks that can't miss is incredibly overpowered. Might as well be fighting a fed Yi. I'd tone it down a bit. making 5 total AA's the max.

-R- Base damage is way too powerful at all levels. I don't think any existing ability deals over 1000 base damage at level 3 not to mention 450 base damage at level 1 (Not to mention 0.9 AP scaling). I understand it has a very small hit box and a windup (And it does balance it) but it's no fun for the enemy to completely loose a fight before it even begins because of a good hit on any body on the team.

All in all, it's a pretty good concept. No real problems that I can see. I hope I was of some help. ^^