Frequent FPS Drops

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreakinUnoriginl

03-02-2013

I've been playing on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro using Parallels 8 and a Windows 8 guest for a while now, and at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out except for shadows I've always had a solid 60FPS, with rare occasional drops to the mid 40s. My GPU temperature never exceeds 69C, which is when the fans kick in (quietly). This is under a virtual machine.

The native Mac client, on the other hand, has frequent drops to 20FPS; it seems to happen randomly, I could be sitting at the fountain or I could be in a team fight, I'll be at 60FPS and then for a few seconds it drops to 20. The GPU temp is often hitting 75C and pushing the fans to their loudest.

Other notes: I'm plugged in to a power source and I have GPU switching off (so the dedicated GPU is always on while I'm plugged in). I've tried both Fullscreen and Borderless Fullscreen. Let me know if there's any other information I should share.

Obviously the best thing would be to get native Mac performance on-par with virtualized Windows performance. But a stop-gap solution might be to add more granular FPS cap options. I'd be fine capping it at 40 or 45, but we only have a jump from 30 (too choppy for me) to 60. I'm not sure if it will reduce the occurrence of FPS drops, but it should help with how much the GPU is being stressed.

Ajakson

03-02-2013

I had trouble with my MacBook Pro like this a month or so ago. Turned out my fan wasn't working properly. I started getting huge FPS drops at 70deg Celsius and up.

Try resetting your SMC (System Management Controller) here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Or download software to monitor system temp/fanspeed here:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol (what I use)

FreakinUnoriginl

03-02-2013

Resetting the SMC has helped! Temps didn't go above 65C and the only FPS drops were if I had the shop open while watching a team fight, or during team fights with lots of exploding Teemo shrooms.

Thank you!