Wait for Vertical Sync

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2009

Option Screen > Video > Wait for Vertical Sync

I know what this option does: sync my fps with my Screen framerate, aka 60 Hz

When I uncheck that option, I get 90 fps, should I check or uncheck that option? Does it change anything? I mean, even if I get 90 fps, my screen is 60 Hz so...

Kelty13

12-03-2009

If you turn off V-synch you may have a small issue with screen tear, as the game and your screen will be refreshing at slightly different rates.

So as long as you weren't having problems with screen tears, it shouldn't be an issue.

Earthquake

12-03-2009

When I had to reinstall my client during that one patch where the old beta client would no longer work, I noticed a small delay when I'd mouse scroll. Then I turned off V-sync and it fixed this annoying little delay, and I have to noticeable problems with screen tearing.

Karrot

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0it View Post
Option Screen > Video > Wait for Vertical Sync

I know what this option does: sync my fps with my Screen framerate, aka 60 Hz

When I uncheck that option, I get 90 fps, should I check or uncheck that option? Does it change anything? I mean, even if I get 90 fps, my screen is 60 Hz so...
That is a great question. Just like you suggest, no matter how high your fps is your screen will only update 60 times per second.

Running with 90 FPS means that information will update every 0.01111~ seconds. But your monitor will still only update every 0.01667 seconds. So, in essence, you'll get something like this:
At 0.01667 seconds, you get the image from 0.01111.
At 0.03333 seconds, you get the image from 0.03333. (Correct image)
At 0.05000 seconds, you get the image from 0.04444.
At 0.06667 seconds, you get the image from 0.06667 (Correct image)
And so forth. So, in essence, every other frame is offset from what it should be by approximately 0.00566 seconds. In game, this effect is unlikely to be noticeable.

You should probably check that option solely to limit strain on your computer. It won't make things any worse, it'll actually make them (very) slightly better.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrot View Post
That is a great question. Just like you suggest, no matter how high your fps is your screen will only update 60 times per second.

Running with 90 FPS means that information will update every 0.01111~ seconds. But your monitor will still only update every 0.01667 seconds. So, in essence, you'll get something like this:
At 0.01667 seconds, you get the image from 0.01111.
At 0.03333 seconds, you get the image from 0.03333. (Correct image)
At 0.05000 seconds, you get the image from 0.04444.
At 0.06667 seconds, you get the image from 0.06667 (Correct image)
And so forth. So, in essence, every other frame is offset from what it should be by approximately 0.00566 seconds. In game, this effect is unlikely to be noticeable.

You should probably check that option solely to limit strain on your computer. It won't make things any worse, it'll actually make them (very) slightly better.
Wow, very nice information, thank you!