Smart Ping Is Here

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

illuminatednuker

03-01-2013

now give me an option to COMPLETELY turn off chat so I can stop getting banned

Bad Player

03-01-2013

But what if I'm on my june instead?

Macupex

03-01-2013

Well played Riot! i like it

GaleWinUnleashed

03-01-2013

I think that if there's an MIA ping, there should also be a RE ping. Perhaps it could work by directly targeting the enemy champion with the MIA ping, so that a different message comes up.

Thoth The Wise

03-01-2013

Smart Ping is cool and all RIOT. I wonder when and if you will implement a voice chat system much like "Skype" or "Skype-like" that will be available to be used in game with your team mates with the same options of muting or not. This would be a very good tool for this game. I'm sure I am not the first person to have thought of this, but it just makes sense apart from the apparent cons in this voice chat system.

Anyway just an idea throwing it out there but thanks again for the hard work riot.

Tosin Loads

03-01-2013

I've used this on PBE & it doesn't take long to get used to.
When you normally would hit your ping hotkey, it now brings up the menu & you just move mouse (up,down,left,right) to what alert you need. It's very quick & didn't slow down my ping times at all.

Edit: To the comment right above me, even w/ a mute option I still feel voicechat would cause more harm than anything because alot of people have too big of egos to just let something go & not argue. What they could instead add is voice recognition (I'm thinking of this old Navy Seal game for PS2 where you could say "Bravo Go!" or something like that & it would move your AI squad to a position). You could say like "Dragon" or "Baron" or "Fallback top/mid/bot" & it would automatically ping it for you. That would be cool.

Void2258

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

Individual buttons for the pings would have been better. Z, C and X were open (the commands that are there right now do not need to be in such a vital location, they can be moved elsewhere), so it could have been: missing Z, OMW X, danger V, assist me C and now we don't need the radial AND all the communication is on the same line as abilities so you can easily shift by feel.

EDIT: I consider the Q, W, E, R and T columns on the keyboard to be the important areas since they are what you can get to without breaking you finger positioning. To hit any key to the right of those columns requires leaving and coming back to position, which in desperate conditions leads to things like opening the scoreboard instead of Q or hitting E instead of R because you missed a little (keep in mind that on most keyboards only the F and J keys have tactile markings). So any non-essential/disadvantageous-to-hit-accidentally keys (chat log, lock window hotkey, turn off healthbars) should be to the right of that column, while important things (pings, movement commands) should be inside that grouping.

Also for people like me who use ergonomics keyboards the split is there, so anything past the T column is "over there" (I have my 6th item slot bound to 'T' so I don't have to reach over to get to the 6 button).

Void2258

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4l3f0rc3 View Post
I think that if there's an MIA ping, there should also be a RE ping. Perhaps it could work by directly targeting the enemy champion with the MIA ping, so that a different message comes up.
This would be very handy. A ping that says "Enemy X is here" as opposed to having to use "attack this enemy" ping to say the same thing.

GaleWinUnleashed

03-01-2013

The good thing about this system is that you can completely ignore it if you want to, and just use the old pings exactly like usual. It's there if you want it, but you're not inconvenienced by it either.

Zarkaya

03-01-2013

Looks great. Haters who haven't even used it should shut it until they do. typing out omw's, mia's and brt's hinders game flow, and once more people learn the system I think we'll all benefit in the random queue