Valoran needs a Major Overhaul

First Riot Post
12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mondreus

02-25-2013

05/24/2013: 26000+ Views!
Freljord map on RiotForScience's second post! (Thank you!!)

There's something that has been bothering me since I joined the League almost two years ago. As we know, everything regarding artistic design in LoL has been constantly improved, including champion models, sounds, scenery and splash arts. However, there are things that haven't been touched since the release of the game or the element itself, like some champion models that are now awaiting for visual upgrades. However, there's something that I'm almost sure it has never been checked since it was put into the game; Valoran itself.

Please take a look at the official map of Valoran.

I know it's probably one of the first things designed for the game but it really looks like the work of someone practicing Photoshop. I'm not saying Riot's artist are/were bad, but that they probably didn't put much effort making this. Anyone with basic computer knowledge can make something similar by watching any map tutorial on the internet. Most of the icons are basically Photoshop/GIMP brushes, and the "style" of the map are just very simple techniques I've used myself being a total noob on digital drawing.
But the drawing itself is not that important. The other one which actually annoys me is the geography:

1.The Shape: Is that a continent... or just an island? There's no way a land mass big enough to be considered a continent can be so perfectly round, having just a single, unnatural-looking gulf and no distinctive shapes.

2. Straight Lines: The mountains are a total WTF in the map. The Great Barrier is a perfect straight line of mountains that completely divides the continent from east to west, while the Ironspike and Sablestone mountains are perfectly round. They seriously need to be more realistic.

3. A bit too Literal: The Serpentine River is a single line. No braches at all aside from three little ones in which the river ends (To where is the river flowing? Towards the sea or the other way around?). It should have some branches, still mantaining the bigger main stream.

4. Bristle needs Space (Done!): Freljord is supposed to be a region on its own, yet it appears as an insignificant point at north of Valoran. It's a dangerous cold region with big species such as Yetis, Ursines and Giant Boars, it needs to be bigger. It could even be a cape-like land mass.
Map on second Red post!!

5. No Smoking Area: Zaun is portrayed as having huge amounts of pollution and toxic clouds above the city. Yet, Piltover is really close to it but its proud of having beautiful blue and white skies. They should be more separated from each other.

I think that's all, and sorry for the legendary wall of text. Waiting for responses Or maybe details I overlooked?

Mondreus

02-26-2013

I'll put ideas posted in comments here (Thanks for your support!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMichael View Post
- An expansion cut out or separate smaller map with Lokfar would be interesting too.

-Piltover's is like a oily puddle of a chemistry set spill. Now we think of a progressive, steampunk themed, driven society. Guessing from Olaf's lore, Lokfar is probably somewhere either northwest or southwest of Demacia. There's a lot more material to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
They also need to remake the "Voodoo Lands" into a country that could actually have a population of people of color. I think human diversity is important in modern fantasy. Since we still don't even have a champion from the Voodoo Lands, I think they should change it to something less silly so they would feel more comfortable making champions from there.
Annie is from Voodoo Lands, although her parents are Noxians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamander View Post
They also could put some more detail into Ionia, Bilgewater, and the Shadow Isles instead of just putting islands with names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoeb View Post
Just like Piltover and Zaun, the jungle is right next to the desert! That just doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael1453 View Post
I think the most basic at the moment is the general shape of the continent, as the OP said. The rivers etc will fall under that as well but keep in mind that unless tributaries are fairly large themselves, they aren't put on maps... Also, the whole thing should be bigger unless the size is just very distorted. The Freljiord has been fleshed out a great deal and been stated to be a relatively large region - the map should reflect that. Same goes for Ionia really. Once that's seen to, I suspect that a lot of other stuff will fall into place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsant View Post
1) The Great Barrier.
So it divides the whole damn continent. That is firstly unrealistic, but on top of that, how the hell are these people in the south connecting to the north? Yordles are a large part of LoL's lore and they are stuck in the south divided by a giant barrier. I know there is a way to cross over, apparently down the middle, but apparently that's a somewhat dangerous area and not to mention there's a big ****ing desert to get through and voodoo lands and all kinds of ****. I guess they could use a boat, oh what fun they have to cross through bilgewater area.
So how did Poppy really make it to Demacia? How about ziggs, heimer, and every other yordle that is associated with the north? It's just a really poorly made refrigerator drawing.

2) Fyrone Flats, Urtistan, Kumungu, Bubbling Bog, etc. . .
There are so many locations that have very little or no lore tied to them (Fyrone Flats, wtf is going on there?) These places need to be worked on a bit or discarded. All we know about Urtistan is that Zilean is from there and lived in the clock tower then the city was destroyed.

3) Why is north of piltover not frozen?
Freljord's region is messed up, as you said. It's tiny, apparently mountainous to give it some reason to be cold, but still doesn't make sense. The area north of piltover should have just been more freljord. Overall though the shape and everything should be changed.

CreepySlime

02-26-2013

Some great points you bring up. Hopeully Riot will take a look at this

MetalMichael

02-26-2013

Quinn helped boast talk about lore in the forums, so you bringing this subject up is wonderful. I concur to updating it especially when regarding Zaun and Piltover. Heck, an expansion cut out or separate smaller map with Lokfar would be interesting too.

Mondreus

02-27-2013

Bump!

Dorodan

02-27-2013

I'm glad I'm not the only one who looked at the map and thought, "refrigerator drawing". It really has not aged well, and I hope it eventually gets reworked.

JevelFaithful

02-28-2013

I guess you could chalk the straight lines and serpentine rivers to unreliable maps. They probably have iregularities, but the author wasn't good enough to make them.

You bring good points tought, Zaun/piltover makes no sense (unless the scale is really distorded, but then the polution zone is just even bigger). So does Freljord, I like the idea of a great cape for freljord.

Another interesting point might be... that valoran IS an island and there is more to explore. Or that for some reason, this world is made of very small continent.

By the way, it's nice to see the map, last time I checked it I didn,t know all the names.

As a side note : I don't understand why there is 2 jungles in the southern part.

Mondreus

03-01-2013

Bump for this needs attention!

Glad to see some aproval here Thank you!

Lady Riolyne

03-01-2013

I can't find the post now but I remember a red saying they were taking a break from updating lore until they could figure out how the world works.

MetalMichael

03-02-2013

That's fine and dandy to take a break. Each champion expands the world and expands the lore as well.

But now's a good time to at least talk about redoing it. Piltover's picture is like a oily puddle of a chemistry set spill. Now we think of a progressive, steampunk themed, driven society. Guessing from Olaf's lore, Lokfar is probably somewhere either northwest or southwest of Demacia. There's a lot more material to work with.

12345 ... 11